Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Any Mermen Fans?

Pages: 1 8 replies

Curious if there are other fans of The Mermen on TC... I finally got to see them live in Madison, WI last spring... amazing show... counting the days until they come back to WI... and this time we're going to try and get Jim on the waves here on the lake!

T

Can't say that I'm a fan. They come from here (San Francisco), but I prefer traditional surf music. I don't like those extended jams the Mermen do. It's like surf music for deadheads. The Phantom Surfers and Los Straitjackets are more my cup of tea. That's just my opinion. Please don't take it personal. :)

I am a huge fan of the Mermen. While I like traditional surf also, it's good to hear a band do something a little different. I have posted before on this band, but I will repeat.......the one live show I saw a couple years back was stunning. Even the Mrs. was unusually impressed as she sat in the cold of the Coach house in Santa Barbara. The last of 4 bands, they played from 12:30 a.m. to 2:15. They played a ton of songs and took requests from the audience.

I have 3 live cds and I would agree with Jab that some of their extended stuff seems a bit much. 2 of their cds "Songs Of The Cows" and "A Glorious Lethal Euphoria" are feedback fests, for Sonic Youth fans only. The early "Krill Slippin" has the most traditional sound with 16 tracks, most 2 to 3 minutes long.

Good one Naugatiki

Instrumentals...men love 'em, women hate 'em...:) At least the Rev. Horton Heats says so....

I saw the Mermen once at the catalyst, they were a solid band live. I think I prefer Man....or Astroman? myself.

Don't mean to diss...just my 2 cents...

http://www.eugenemirman.com/

(this guy is an idiot)

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 12:52 ]

the MERMEN ROCK!! Deep, rich, textured surf music at it's best!! It's like an Exotica Party with Peter Marx providing the musical tracks!! The Mermen are some good s#*t!
Holden

Pages: 1 8 replies