Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Vanishing America - Augusta GA

Pages: 1 12 replies

S

While in Augusta, I was amazed at the downtown area. Like a time capsule. HERE is the addition to the Swank Pad for Augusta.

T

Wow, that's very cool. There are some streets in Detroit like this, but they too sill soon be mowed down for more Costco's and Old Navy's. Damn!

Wow, that reminds me of old downtown Torrance (and countless other cities) when I was growing up. Now Wal-Mart has put most of them out of business.

It's always sad to see the old movie palaces close. Fortunately, we have a few theaters here in the Bay Area that have been restored and are still in use, like the Grand Lake, the Castro, and my favorite, the Paramount:

There will be a docent-led tour of the Paramount during SF Crawl weekend. Does anyone want to go?

--cindy

T

On 2004-03-18 14:33, cynfulcynner wrote:
There will be a docent-led tour of the Paramount during SF Crawl weekend.

I highly recommend the tour. It's only $1 and it's a 2 hour tour throughout the entire theatre including backstage, and an amazing Wurlitzer organ mini-concert and light show.

T

Visitors to the SF Crawl may also want to see the Exhibit on Art Deco (1910-1939) at the Legion of Honor museum in San Francisco. The exhibit originated in London and is only showing in San Francisco and Boston.

http://www.thinker.org/legion/exhibitions/exhibition.asp?exhibitionkey=320

The Paramount theatre is the one of the 2 best Art Deco theatres in the country, along with Radio City Music Hall. I wish I could see the Pantages in Hollywood, but I can't stomach seeing the Lion King just to get a look at the theatre.

On 2004-03-18 14:51, thejab wrote:
I wish I could see the Pantages in Hollywood, but I can't stomach seeing the Lion King just to get a look at the theatre.

Maybe one of these might be more palatable?

For the 2004-2005 season, the Pantages will be hosting "Mama Mia" (based on the songs of Abba), "Miss Saigon","Movin' Out" (based on the songs of Billy Joel), "Peter Pan" (starring Cathy Rigby), "Les Miserables","Oklahoma!","Evita" and "The King and I" starring Stephanie Powers.

T

Wow! I thought the Lion King was there forever (at least it seemed like it everytime I visited L.A.)

I went to a bar in Port Huron, MI about a year ago at Christmas. I felt like I had walked into Nick's (or was it Martini's?) from "It's A Wonderful Life" the place was classic.

-Z

-That shot of "the Marine Club"- I expected to see Bob Mitchum come staggering out throwing punches at any second.
Excellent blitzkrieg photo coverage Swanky!

S
SES posted on Sat, Mar 20, 2004 10:49 PM

Bet the strip clubs would disappear faster if they also grandfathered the strippers and didn't allow them to hire new ones...

:wink:

I vote for a mass excursion to the Marine room after the Hale Tiki opening.

S

Amen JT! They kept saying "you don't want to go there. The bottom of the barrel." I LOVE the bottom of the barrel strip clubs!

T

On 2004-03-21 13:31, Swanky wrote:
Amen JT! They kept saying "you don't want to go there. The bottom of the barrel." I LOVE the bottom of the barrel strip clubs!

You should check out the Hiphugger in Sunnyvale (South of San Francisco) if you're ever out here. The sign still says "go-go dancers"!

In Portland they have a strip club in a teapot-shaped building! I can't remember where it was or it's name.

Pages: 1 12 replies