Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

My Tiki underpants

Pages: 1 18 replies

I'm sure the members of Tiki Central would be fascinated by the contents of my underwear drawer:

Actually, these underpants are far too tasteless to wear , but have quite an impressive range of mugs on 'em. Quite why anyone would want underwear that reaches almost to knee level is beyond me....

Trader Woody

K
Kono posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2004 6:02 PM

On 2004-03-18 15:59, Trader Woody wrote:
Quite why anyone would want underwear that reaches almost to knee level is beyond me....

For complete coverage? :o

Don't come near me, I would pull them shorts off of you because of copyright infringement---all the Tikis are from the BOT! :)
WHO is the manufacturer, you said?

Hey Woody!

You got to go onto Indie103.1 web cast and listen to Steve Jones aka Jonesy's Juke Box from 12-1 our time on the pacific. He had Paul Cook on the phone today. Cookie said, Spring is in the air! Score for you!! Wear your undies with pride!! Hell, back in the 70's everyone had blue hair!! Even granny!!!

On 2004-03-18 18:11, bigbrotiki wrote:
Don't come near me, I would pull them shorts off of you because of copyright infringement---all the Tikis are from the BOT! :)
WHO is the manufacturer, you said?

Ha! This is the THIRD time I've dropped someone in it for stealing images from 'The Book'. Perhaps I should work on commission!

There's not a great deal of info about the manufacturer apart from the name "Octan Industries" and the fact that they were made in Israel. I bought them off eBay from someone who turned out to have the rather unlikely surname (to say the least) of 'Wagner-Nietzsche'!

Trader Woody

TW, i could be wrong on this, but such style of undergarments would typically be called "boxers" by us yanks. i think "underpants" conjures up images of "tightie whities" which are a different animal from the speedo type ones common in uk/europe.

not that i dwell on undergarment technicalities. just more in the spirit of cultural exchange.

now where did i put my fanny pack? :P

M

Remember J$, that they call underwear "pants". I think Woody was calling them that for our benefit.

And yes, the irony of that user name selling an Israeli product has me smirking.

A

'Wagner-Nietzsche'...from Israel? Are you sure?

On 2004-03-19 13:59, Johnny Dollar wrote:
now where did i put my fanny pack? :P

Call me a spazmo, but the thought of the Mountain Equipment Co-op's old catalogue still has me in stitches - " This fanny can accomodate a small thermos, a light lunch and a flashlight".

Yuk yuk, doh, etc.

Trader Woody

Well I think it is a sublime absurdity that a mask that hangs behind me on the wall portraying a Polynesian deity ends up on a pair of boxer shorts made in Israel (which were purchased in England.)

Who made the mask?

No Idea. It's the one to the right of the fly, above the Monterey Outrigger Mug, p 185 of the BOT.
...they even used the big nose Dali one.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-03-21 00:31 ]

BigBro~

Sorry to hear about the infringement. I believe Trader Woody means "OCTANE" Industries as the manufacturer. According to what I found out, they are a startup "underwear" manufacturer. I don't have a specific phone number or address for Octane Industries, but I did find out that there was a former associate at Octane named Chuck Robinson, who was their Marketing & Promotions Director. Chuck no longer works for Octane, but you can now find him at a company named "Game On" in Santa Monica. (phone: 310-766-1295). He may or may not give you info on his former company if you choose to take steps to have Octane Industries "Cease & Desist". You know how these things can get.

Hope this helps.

(P.S.- the phone number to Chuck Robinson is no hidden secret and I did not divulge any private information/history. It's all available on the internet.)

Wow, good internet research, SCD, thank you so much. I don't think I will pursue this any further (sue their pants off?).

I do not want to hinder the spread of Tiki culture, though I believe that a credit to my book would be in order, but where to put it in this case?

On 2004-03-21 00:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
No Idea. It's the one to the right of the fly, above the Monterey Outrigger Mug...
Now there's a new way to do Locating Tiki.

On 2004-03-22 10:34, Formikahini wrote:

On 2004-03-21 00:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
No Idea. It's the one to the right of the fly, above the Monterey Outrigger Mug...
Now there's a new way to do Locating Tiki.

just make sure you don't lock or delete that particular topic... :)

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-03-22 10:51 ]

On 2004-03-21 14:17, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
BigBro~

I believe Trader Woody means "OCTANE" Industries as the manufacturer.

No, I did mean "OCTAN" as opposed to "OCTANE" as that's the way it's spelt on the pants label, as well as the waistband. Perhaps this is a rip-off in itself. (Bootleg underwear, whatever next.....)

Just out of interest, I wonder how many people who have bought the Book of Tiki have ended up using it's images illegally. There seems to be an extraordinary proportion that we know of.

Trader Woody

On 2004-03-23 16:14, Trader Woody wrote:

Just out of interest, I wonder how many people who have bought the Book of Tiki have ended up using it's images illegally. There seems to be an extraordinary proportion that we know of.

Trader Woody

It is not so surprising considering that before the BOT was published in September 2000, there was very little Tiki imagery available anywhere. (Before that, the reproductions in Tiki News were not of sufficient quality, and as soon as House Industries published their Tiki Font/Dingbats, THEY were ripped off.)

Urban Archeologists like Sabu have amassed fine collections of authentic Tiki imagery now, but they are not as publicly available.

I have even found a short-sleeved shirt that used my photo of the "Bad Luck" Tiki by Barney West from my website.

I was half seriously thinking about a book "Art and design based on the Book of Tiki", there is so much.

It is a very satisfying feeling to have had such an impact on pop culture, even though the monetary reward is non-existent.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2010 8:51 AM

GAP Tiki moai and ku mugs and coconuts boxers

Made in indonesia

Bought in 2008 or 2009 I think...

Pages: 1 18 replies