Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

MTV's J.J. Jackson Rest in Peace

Pages: 1 6 replies

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/18/obit.vj.jackson.ap/index.html

What can I say? This really bums me out. I am very sad.

When MTV started in 1981 I was 'coming of age' . Just starting high school and all that. When it first hit the airwaves MTV was a very cool and very interesting little entity that was, dare I say, 'underground', at least in it's first year. I got turned on to so much cool and unheard of music. It really was unchartered territory to be explored. No wonder they used the moon landing clip in their early IDs.

I remember JJ Jackson as an integral part of those early days of MTV, and a really great, appealing personality. I remember how he used to lead in his show to Martha Quinn's show...'M-C-Q, where be you?"Being a big admirer of FM radio history and old school radio DJs, I was impressed with his resume and all the history he had in radio going back to the golden age of undergorund FM radio as a jock on WBCN in Boston.

Other than that, for some reason, this one really bugs me.

Take care JJ and thanks for all the cool music.

OK, now I really feel old.
I heard about this while getting ready for work this morning. Really bummed me out too, he was one of my faves.

-Z

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-03-19 06:09 ]

I worked with him back when I was an intern @ KROQ in LA. He was a nice guy in a line of work that doesn't have alot of nice guys; he was a very down-to-earth & caring individual. I remember him bringing a young boy to the station 1 weekend morning, he was baby sitting him for a sister I think, he had the kid sitting by him watcing how to work the board & he sent me down to Dalts for ice cream for all 3 of us. Where as more than a few of the other DJs were monstered out of their tiny little minds minds much of the time & had trouble peeking out over their egos to see the rest of the staff except as "the little people who helped me get here"(That reminds me, does anyone know how Jed the Fish is doing?), but JJ was a consumate professional & a damn fine human being.

And he cared about the music: when he was the PD @ KEDG, the Edge, he added Lyle Lovett, Cowboy Junkies, Red Hot Chili Peppers & Concrete Blonde to daily rotation. in the late '80s RHCP still could hardly get arrested outside of Hollywood, & he had their cover of "Higher Ground" playing almost everyday, often sandwiched between Melissa Etheridge & Social Distortion.

Lately I've only heard him announcing the Westwood 1 concert series (I never listen to the Wave when in LA), but he still sounded just as smooth, the years had been kinder to his pipes than most.

D

Cool Freddie-

That's great that you got to know him. That friendly part of his personality came over real well on television.

Do you work in radio now?

Cool Freddie-

That's great that you got to know him. That friendly part of his personality came over real well on television.

Do you work in radio now?

No, I left radio @ the end of the '80s & drifted back into computer operations. I threaten to go back to DJing, but luckily it's only a threat.

On 2004-03-19 00:40, donhonyc wrote: ....for some reason, this one really bugs me.

Take care JJ and thanks for all the cool music.

I figured out why it bugs me. Part of my youth just died & that's damn scary.

Tikimikey-

yep, that explains it dude. I forgot that I got older.

There is a great link on the KLOS-FM (Los Angeles) web page with a tribute to JJ. Great photos of JJ with Keith Moon, Daltrey, Towshend, Plant and others.

http://www.955klos.com/viewentry.asp?ID=298583&PT=onaircrew

Also want to mention that JJ was part of that bygone era of FM radio when it was a medium for the people. When the audience could listen to the jocks and consider them reliable sources of music info and 'friends' to hang around with. For me this era ended in the late 80s, early 90s. Different world today. The voices on the radio aren't there and neither is the music. Classic rock radio is a bore, and the newer stuff is (hate to use this term) for kids....real young unsophisticated 'Jackass' generation kids.

Honey....can you get me my Geritol??

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-03-21 11:39 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies