Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikis by Artiki

Pages: 1 12 replies

A

Hi,
I thought some of you may like to see some of my tikis. Palm wood is fairly hard to come by in the UK, so we're hacking down as many telegraph poles as we can.
Hope you all like them.

Welcome aboard, Artiki. Birmingham, eh, no doubt those are Ranking Roger and Dave Wakeling that you have carved likenesses of. Beautiful looking work, could you plant one on my sister in laws house up in Harrogate?

M

Those are really nice!!!

A

:lol: I think Ranking Roger is now a criminal offence in this country or am I thinking of something else...

On 2004-03-19 06:28, Artiki wrote:
:lol: I think Ranking Roger is now a criminal offence in this country or am I thinking of something else...

And Dave Wakling now lives in San Diego (although I think 1 of the Tikis in the Island Boy Grille looks a little like him...).

B

Way to go Artiki, those are really nice. You have carved some nice detail, well perportioned and defined detail.
I would not carve too many of those telegraph poles until I found what chemicals they were treated with,(wonder why they last so long?).
My only suggestion is to lose the bright white teeth. I like the black eyes though. Keep up the good work and show us MORE Pictures, I know you have carved more..

Great stuff Artiki, especially the tall guy on the left. I would say that though as he now resides my lounge! Stick with those white teeth, makes a good signature if you ask me. Can't wait to see more. The Brits are comin!

A

Hey, Hotrod Tiki...cool chair. Hope you're looking after that tiki.
Thanks everyone for your comments. The white teeth have become a bit of a 'signature' as H-R-T says. There are not many folk in England that would recognise or understand a tiki, so the teeth are a way of giving them something they can relate to. I like my tikis with and without white teeth, I'm happy either way.
Regarding the treatment the old poles have received, I agree with your concerns. It's creosote and some have been soaked more than others. I'm trying to source some cleaner poles.

B

Artiki, you are right, I didn't mean to Cramp your style, it's part of what sets it apart and makes it attractive and I'm glad to see you are strongly defending it. Way to go

It's nice to see something a little different.

Artiki, I like it! You got your own style, brother.

Hey Artiki,

Those are great! Very nicely carved. I've been wanting one along those lines for years, but the postage cost from the US makes it absurdly expensive. Will you be selling more? If so, what are the rates?

Cheers,
Trader Woody

A
Artiki posted on Tue, Jun 1, 2004 4:18 PM

Hi Trader Woody,
Thanks for replying to my post. It's always good to talk to fellow Brits into tikis. Where's the Lono Lounge based? Sounds great.
Thanks for your interest in my carvings. A friend took the four pictured above to a rockin' weekender and they all sold quite quickly, which is very flattering.
There will definitely be more tikis coming from my workshop, though I am temporarily suspending production. I am also into hotrods and I am trying to get my '31 Ford running and MOT'd and that is taking up literally all of my time.
I am hoping to get some more done before the end of this Summer, is that OK with you?
Rates are extremely reasonable!

You have a personal message, btw.

[ Edited by: Artiki on 2004-06-01 16:28 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies