Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kailuageoff & Flounder @ Mai Kai Sat. 20th

Pages: 1 28 replies

I put this in the main discussion because it is on such short notice.

We are heading south to go see Benzart then heading down to Chief Dan's place. The chief has some old carvings of Bens from back in the day. One of them being about thirteen feet tall!
Then we will be heading to the Mai Kai for happy hour . Anyone in the area is welcome to come and see us.

McDougall? Cybertiki?

Original Art by Flounder

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-03-19 12:39 ]

i am new to tc, i live in pembroke pines and work in tamarac. i would love to hit happy hour at the mai kai. i used to live in lauderdale not 10 minutes from there, and would go with my neighbor at least once a week.

On 2004-03-19 09:19, CHEIF UNGA BUNGA wrote:
i am new to tc, i live in pembroke pines and work in tamarac. i would love to hit happy hour at the mai kai. i used to live in lauderdale not 10 minutes from there, and would go with my neighbor at least once a week.

Unga Bunga, Definitely come on over and meet us. Just find the two of us, Kailuageoff is an ugly guy and I look like Brad Pitt. OK I look more like Mr.Pink from Reservoir Dogs. We will probably be the only two sporting Hawaiin shirts.

This is me.

This trip was a total mess. Don't ever go anywhere with Flounder. Consider yourselves warned. He stole $100 from me. Also, he is a rat.
KG

Oh yeah, we spent Saturday night at the Mai Kai with Cybertiki & his wife and had great time with them. Cybertiki rocks.

Nevermind what I said about Flounder, I'm still drunk and didn't mean it. Sorry brother.
KG

Thanks Geoff and Flounder - Joelle and I had a fantastic time (as always), and are looking forward to getting together again. Hopefully we'll have the chance to do Mai-Kai a couple of times before Hukilau in September.

Flounder ... what can I say? Between your tabasco story, and then the storage of the sushi in your pocket, it was a memorable evening all around. I'll go out drinking with you anytime bro!

Cheers!

I had a great time as always when the Mai Kai is involved. I was happy to see Cybertiki and his wahine show up. They are great fun and Kailuageoff was starting to bore me with all his religious talk and how he was on the O'reilly Factor over and over again. Thanks for coming Cyber and Joelle.
We never had a chance to meet Benzart, for some reason he wouldn't open his front door.
We went to the location where Francois Langfords Outrigger in Jenson Beach once was. It's now the Dolphin Bar but still has that polynesian fell. They also have a room dedicated to Francois, lots of cool photos of the Outrigger days.
We did go and see the Cabana Hotel we are staying at for Hukilau. Looks like a great place, I especially liked all the blown up photos of Jimmy Buffet on the walls. Seriously there was!
We also went to the Thunderbird flea market. This is a great flea (very big) we found some nice tiki items.
For some reason I have rice in my
pockets.

All in all a great trip. Except for Geoff.

Original Art by Flounder

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-03-22 06:31 ]

Flounder forgot to mention we went to the location of Chief Dan's Smoke shop. The entire site had recently been bulldozed. We did find some cool tiki stuff at a flea market. A couple mugs, an outrigger canoe model, a coco joe-type tiki and a nice black velvet painting of a tropical lagoon. I'll try to post a few photos. One of the mugs was from a place called Richard Yee's in Brooklyn, NY.

[ Edited by: kailuageoff on 2004-03-22 10:29 ]

Thanks for the invite Flounder, Sorry I missed out meeting you guys (and going to the Mai Kai!). Let me know next time you gather.

Sorry we missed you McDougall. We missed Benzart as well, but we ate a sandwich in his kitchen.
Hey Ben, what are the names of your three dogs? Do they ever stop barking?

Hey! If I'm ever down Florida way I'm barging into your all's houses and making myself at home. I can be there in 5 hours!

PS I know this is anal-retentive, but after studying Hawaiian language I become annoyed when it is butchered.

It's not Mai Kai, but rather mai ka'i. What's typically missing is the okina or "'" mark which is a glutteral sound much like the English word uh-oh. Mai Ka'i means 'good' or 'fine' in Hawaiian.

S

Bong, Mai Kai is a place, mai ka'i is a Hawaiian term. So, when we say Mai Kai is mai ka'i, then we use it.

Just to get a little knowledge. I was told that all the letters in the Hawaiian language were considered consonants and were to be pronounced. So, Hawaii is more like Ha-a-wa-a-i-i. Is that right?

In the Hawaiian alphabet, there are 13 letters (including the okina). The vowels are A, E, I, O and U; the consonants are H, K, L, M, N, P, W and the okina (').

There are countless Hawaiian words which use the okina; if they were pronounced without the okina, would mean something totally different.

For example, in the two island names often mispronounced as "Molokai" and "Lanai", there should be an okina. They should be pronounced "Moloka'i" and "Lana'i". Lack of an okina in "Lana'i" is Lanai which is a patio or deck.

Some basic rules in Hawaiian are: each consonant if always separated by a vowel, and every word ends in a vowel. Thus, there are never two consonants joined together.

Hawaii should also be Hawai'i.

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - hau'oli la tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2004-03-22 12:10 ]

After downing a rum barrel, a zombie, an ama maru and a moomkist coconut, I couldn't pronounce my own name let alone Mai-Kai, Mai Kai or Mai Ka'i. And Bong, feel free to barge into our place anytime.

Maybe it is suppose to Makai-toward the sea.
Bong, you can feel free to stay at my place as well. I need some one to call me names and put me in my place.

On 2004-03-22 12:23, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Bong, you can feel free to stay at my place as well. I need some one to call me names and put me in my place.

You dumbsh$& if it was supposed to be Makai, why would they have an 'i' between the a and the k. (you've been very bad. Go to my bedroom now!)

On 2004-03-22 12:23, FLOUNDERart wrote:

I thought Meg had that responsibility?

Bong should be banned for that kind of abuse! I'm telling Hanford.

On 2004-03-22 12:47, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Bong should be banned for that kind of abuse! I'm telling Hanford.

You would be far from the first with that thought.

Bong,
I need to correct my earlier post based on a fax I just recieved. You can barge into my place in Lake Mary, Florida but the ocean-view condo we just bought at the Hawaiian Inn is by invitation only!
KG

B

I left the back door open and a big pitcher of MaiTai's in the fridg.The 3 dogs are Lexi, Holly and Pepper and they do shut up now and then. Really sorry I Missed you guys. I was expecting you at least 30 Mins later. Next time I'll be early I promise.

Benzart,
Don't worry about it Ben. We knew you had other stuff going on. We'll track you down another time. Plus, you'll get an invitation to our condo when it's all fixed up tiki style.
What happened to Chief Dan's Smoke Shop? It looked like it had been mown down by a tractor 24 hours before we got there.
KG

B

Good question. He had told me to call him and he would meet us there, something to do about Rennovation. Sounds like the term should be REBUILD. Anyway he has taken all his tikis and carvings home and was waiting there for us. He will show us the goods next time.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-03-22 15:06 ]

On 2004-03-22 13:12, Kailuageoff wrote:
Bong,
I need to correct my earlier post based on a fax I just recieved. You can barge into my place in Lake Mary, Florida but the ocean-view condo we just bought at the Hawaiian Inn is by invitation only!
KG

Is it official?

On 2004-03-22 14:39, FLOUNDERart wrote:

On 2004-03-22 13:12, Kailuageoff wrote:
Bong,
KG

Is it official?

Yes! We had to negotiate a little bit, but they accepted a price very close to our first offer. Sometime near a month from now, KailuaGeoff and Wahine Marian's Honolulu Lounge is officially relocating to the Hawaiian Inn, Room #309, 2301 S. Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach Shores, FL. Start honing your bamboo-splitting skills. I'm gonna need help.

Congrats Geoff and Marian!

I do however feel sorry for your livers, It's going to be way to easy with the bar being an eyeshot of your room.

I think this has made it mainstream!

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-03-22 15:05 ]

I think this has made it mainstream!
[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-03-22 15:05 ]

Damn, we're selling!

Here's some photos of Francis Langford's Outrigger, now called the Dolphin Bar and Shrimp House

Flounder and Wahine Marian

Marian at the bamboo bar

View of the marina

Nice tapa cloth screen

This one is for Basement Kahuna

Me and Flounder @ the shrine to Francis.

[ Edited by: kailuageoff on 2004-03-25 19:36 ]

Pages: 1 28 replies