Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

July 4th - Flame Wars Day on TC

Pages: 1 22 replies

Hanford,

I've got an idea. Just like a couple of other things I could think of, a majority of people enjoy the playfully sadistic antics of a good flame wars thread, but won't admit it.

How about in honor of our Nation's revolutionary fight for freedom, you let us have 1 day - July 4th - to go at a no-holds barred flame war about any topic - including banned topics.

Just like a couple of other things I could think of, it gets it out of our system so we can funtion in a proper manner for the other 364 days of the year (but without growing hair on your palms).

It fits right in with our paganistic, hedonistic tiki nature. We celebrate the forbidden!

What do you all think?

P

For even suggesting such a thing you should be cut in half... vertically.

I'll bet you play the steel like some George Jones cast-off...

...and your drinks taste like Raid...

You're a demopublicanbaptatheist aintcha?

Hey, you're right - it IS fun - like fireworks without the sulpher smell.

I'm in!

TM1

Of course, I am in!!!

T

I like the idea. As long as it's well known that July 4th is flame day so no one wanders into a middle of a firestorm by accident.

Maybe just one thread - the endless flame thread. SO that way you can tell by the title what yer in for.

Hey Tikifish our beloved moderator said it's a 'Go'!

Only 107 more days until "The Great Flame War Meltdown 2004"

(Tikifish, why do you all up North mispell "favorite" and "color")

((did I just mispell the word mispell?))

TM1

Cool deal! Thanks for letting us do this Hanford!

We can talk about Fonts, religion, politics, spam from first time posters, texas, aging hipsters, berkenstock wearing hippies, even flabojah?????

Oh man, this will be fun!!!! My fingers are already dancin'!!!!

M

Maybe we can open a one day flame forum. So there can be lots of topics.

And then at midnight, it would disappear forever, and generations will come to think of it as a myth. Old tikinuts will tell their grandkids about it to scare them straight and keep them off drugs.

"C'mon, Grandpa Bong! There was no such thing as a flame forum. We read Tiki Central in class everyday since President Lemoore made it a requirement and we've never seen it!"

That's two moderators in favor. (Favour) But you must be good until then, or no candy!

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-03-19 17:03 ]

T

Not so fast - Hanford hasn't given it the go ahead! But I for one think it would be funny.
Like I said, as long as no sensitive soul wanders in by accident...

PS. Bong, the 'u's are just a holdover from our evil british overlords.

I suggest doing it here.

On 2004-03-19 18:06, hanford_lemoore wrote:
I suggest doing it here.

He didn't say, "No."

As a husband, I think that qualifies as permission!

No.

You guys went about this all in the wrong way. What you's should have done was get together off line and get each member to send him a case of Anchor Steam. Maybe he would have considered something while consuming 41,736 beers.

Hanford,

I think you misdirected them. They should use THIS service instead.

hey this sounds like a really cool... ah, oh never mind.

I'm too ashamed to leave, someone might see me going,

Hopefully everyone knows my position on this: 365 days a year debates and arguments are allowed on Tiki Central. But personal attacks are not. This is a place where you're free to disagree, but I do not encourage, nor do I see the fun in, giving everyone a free "personal attack" day to tear your fellow Tiki Central bretheren apart without consequences.

~Hanford

I wasnt thinking it was a personal attack go ahead, just a banned topic go ahead. But maybe those 2 go hand in hand?

I personally feel that this behavior and the thought of this behavior is inappropriate.
The convoluted nature of this Board could be in jeopardy.
Why bring to the forefront what hath been dismissed.
If the decision is made to go forth, I shall not participate in said action.

On 2004-03-21 10:35, thebaxdog wrote:
I personally feel that this behavior and the thought of this behavior is inappropriate.
The convoluted nature of this Board could be in jeopardy.
Why bring to the forefront what hath been dismissed.
If the decision is made to go forth, I shall not participate in said action.

I see that pounding nails then going and sitting behind a desk for a year, really helps out with attitude. Maybe I should get a desk??

On 2004-03-20 11:31, tikifish wrote:
I wasnt thinking it was a personal attack go ahead, just a banned topic go ahead. But maybe those 2 go hand in hand?

I read "flame war" and took it to mean more than just banned topics, I took it to mean being able to say anything you want to somone else (no-holds barred was the term Bong used).

I resisted banning topics such as politics and religion becuase I felt people should be allowed to discuss anything here (in Beyond, anyway), as long as it didn't get nasty. I was proved wrong again and again. I also thought if a topic contained something someone didn't want to read, it could simply be ignored by that person. I was proved wrong again and again on that, too.

~Hanford

On 2004-03-22 00:31, hanford_lemoore wrote:
(no-holds barred was the term Bong used).

~Hanford

Just havin' fun folks. No harm intended.

(do moderators have any say in TC policy making?)

On 2004-03-20 03:54, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Hopefully everyone knows my position on this: 365 days a year debates and arguments are allowed on Tiki Central. But personal attacks are not. This is a place where you're free to disagree, but I do not encourage, nor do I see the fun in, giving everyone a free "personal attack" day to tear your fellow Tiki Central bretheren apart without consequences.

At the exact moment i was reading this thread, and purely by chance, I was listening to the Oingo Boingo song that goes:

"What is the law?
No spilled Blood!

Who makes the rules?
Someone else!"

Seemed very appropriate!

Another board I post to just has a thread called "Fight." When you just want to let off some steam, you go to the "Fight" thread & have @ it. There're some very immature & imaginative people on that board so it can get pretty wild.

On 2004-03-22 13:55, freddiefreelance wrote:
Another board I post to just has a thread called "Fight."

The first rule of the Fight thread is that no one talks about the Fight thread. :lol:

Pages: 1 22 replies