Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Heating honey vs. honey/water mix

Pages: 1 4 replies

In the Grog Log, the recipe for Don's Own Planter's calls for a heated mixture of honey and water. The great thing about that mixture is once it is liquified it STAYS that way -- even if you refrigerate it, so its ready to go for the second (third, fourth, etc) round.

Other recipes call for heated honey, which thickens soon after being removed from heat.

Why not just use the honey & water mixture? Maybe use a little more of that to even out the taste?

Is there a marked difference between the two that anyone can tell?

S

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7077&forum=1

I had the same thought and ran it by Kern at the Mai Kai. I have been using my honey syrup ever since.

So, Swanky... Did you ever get any advice on proportions and the like? What recipe have you settled on?

Thanks for the link, Swanky. It didn't turn up in a search, believe it or not.

I made the mix last night, 1 part honey/1 part water and it worked fine. Got a nice batch in the fridge ready for the next round...

S

What I have be using is 1/3 to 1/4 extra. Like the recipe I made last night called for 3/4 ounce honey, so I used 1 ounce honey syrup.

You don't have to store it in the fridge. I keep mine out on the bottom shelf and it's been fine for a few months now.

2 lbs. honey
2 cups water.

It is much thinner than sugar syrup. Pours easier. I am not up for doing a taste test just yet. Maybe one day I'll try it the old way and see how the honey syrup compares to the honey in a recipe. But, it's too much work.

Pages: 1 4 replies