Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Dollar Tree Tiks!!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies

Polly at Omni Hut has one of the three-tiki Dollar Tree tikis up by her cash register. She said an employee brought it in and, when she went right back out to buy more, they were gone. Even managers of tiki restaurants must suffer shortages with us collectors.

I wanted to bump up this thread to ask a question:

Here in the midwest, the Dollar Tree and most other stores only stock tiki themed stuff in late sprig to early summer. Does anybody have the word on when exactly this will happen? If anybody sees this stuff commming out this spring, at the Dollar Tree or anywhere else, please let me know. Mahalo.

K

Nothing here in N. Texas yet. Last year they got their tiki stuff in March. I'll keep checking.

Z

Theeerrrree Baaaack!

I picked up a second full set of the little guys at lunch today. They had 2 different colors here in Denver (light and dark colored). The shelve in the store looked kind of slim, like they were selling quickly. These guys are hard to beat for $1 a each.

Here is a earlier post on how I used the first batch of little guys.

Zulu

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-06-09 14:21 ]

K
Kenike posted on Fri, Jun 9, 2006 2:19 PM

I spotted them a couple of weeks ago & bought a set of the new ones.

Hey Zulmagoo...all I get are red X's on the other thread...no pics!
:(

Slacks - Shutterfly (the site hosting my pics) was down for a while this afternoon. It's working now.

Zulu

I picked up one of every style and color I could of these little guys at my local Dollar Tree here in SNJ. My best bud tipped me off that they had them! I remember reading posts about them in previous years but never found any in my area, then BAM they appeared this year!I took home about 15 or so!

K

I read this a couple weeks back and was discouraged when my local dollar tree carried nothing of the sort. But after a stop at the barber shop yesterday found myself searching again at dollar tree and hitting tiki pay dirt. Thanks for the post. I got six of them.

heck I am just amazed that the thread came back instead of a new one being restarted.. Imagine my suprise to see it pop back to the top after so long :)

Well, I finally stopped at a Dollar Tree tonight, and was able to pick up 4 different Tiki's, plus a set of playing cards with a (rather garish looking) tiki on the back of each of them.

One of the things I wasn't able to get, but I am going to look at other DT's in town, is bamboo placemats! They were actually pretty cool... Not sure how great they would be for placemats, but they could work well for other applications. The lady in front of me in line had snagged the last one :( So I'll have to check elsewhere.

Chris

Here's what I did with my Dollar Tree tiki!

$3.00 garage sale table top fountain
$2.00 for red and black paint
$2.00 for red glass
$1.00 for da tiki

There is a red light in the basen that shines through the rocks.

RG

Found a Dollar Tree, they had about ten of the Tikis. I snapped up the six different styles they had. Four different carvings, two in two different colors, light and dark.

I

Yesterday I stopped at the Dollar Store, and purchased 31 of the Dollar tikis. I'm involved with a tiki fundraiser event that will be held in a couple of months, and my goal is to provide a complimentary tiki figure to all of the guests who attend the fundraiser.

After I had placed all 31 tiki figures on the conveyer belt at the checkout stand, I was pleased when a young boy, perhaps around 7-8 years old, came behind me and said 'Wow, look at all the tikis!' 5 years ago he would likely have not been familiar with the term 'tiki' - so progress is definitely being made in the world concerning tiki awareness.

Vern

L

On 2006-07-04 06:24, ikitnrev wrote:
After I had placed all 31 tiki figures on the conveyer belt at the checkout stand, I was pleased when a young boy, perhaps around 7-8 years old, came behind me and said 'Wow, look at all the tikis!' 5 years ago he would likely have not been familiar with the term 'tiki'
well, sure. and he woulda been in good company. I would venture to guess, most 2 year olds don't know the word "tiki" anyway.

R

On 2006-07-04 12:30, lanikai wrote:

On 2006-07-04 06:24, ikitnrev wrote:
After I had placed all 31 tiki figures on the conveyer belt at the checkout stand, I was pleased when a young boy, perhaps around 7-8 years old, came behind me and said 'Wow, look at all the tikis!' 5 years ago he would likely have not been familiar with the term 'tiki'
well, sure. and he woulda been in good company. I would venture to guess, most 2 year olds don't know the word "tiki" anyway.

I am proud to say that my 2 year old can point to my mugs and say "Daddy's Tiki Guys" but then she above average (which is what every parent should say) she also knows to leave daddy alone when he is watching guys "kicking soccer ball" on tv. I only put 12 tiki figures on the conveyer belt so 31 is job well done.

[ Edited by: rwhgeek 2006-07-04 13:01 ]

TS

I guess this thread explains why I couldnt find any at the 2 closest dollar tree locations to my home......lol

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Jun 9, 2010 11:32 AM

A gift I recently got from a sweet wahine

4 tiki plastic shots by "Tradewind Bay"

I did a search and only two mentions came out, this is the oldest one:

On 2004-03-23 18:39, Kono wrote:
Where do you think these came from? For what purpose were they originally made? I can't imagine these fairly intricate molds were created just to churn out one dollar tikis for the Dollar Tree. The sticker says "Tradewind Bay" and "DOLLAR TREE DIST." Maybe they were made for someplace like Target or Hilo Hatties or the ABC stores and the deal fell through so they wind up at the Dollar Tree?

What's the story with the story with this brand? who designed them plastic neo-tikis? Is there a thread about them? something like "new cheap plastic tikis made in china" thread? Where can I see more? There's no pictures on this thread... I also have a plastic brown neo tiki pitcher... I have contradictory feelings about tiki stuff like this. I bet many of you too... is there a topic about this? "Tiki ethics" or something...

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies