Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

VA trip to disappearing Tiki Bar..........

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hey all, I just got info from a fellow TC'er in the DC/MD area, Kind of made me sad,
Apparently the Honolulu Resteraunt (reviewed with a tipsy factor of three) is going to be closing its doors forever on april 10th.
SO my wife and I along with another couple from pittsburgh are going to make a one time only trip to this place on sat April 3rd.
Wish that we could say we would be in the area for more than that day and evening, but money constraints....You know..
Hope everyone knew about this, I actually called them this evening and got the word that "yes Apil tenth we are closing forever"
Sad to hear.....
Anyone in the area, we'd love to meet you when we make it to town.
Till then
Jay

T

rustbeltcat,
My advice is to get there early. A decent size group of the MD/VA/DC tikiphiles got there around 3 this past Sat and by 6 the place was packed. Enjoy the Mai Tai.

Hey thanks for the info Turbogod!
We figure on leaving her (Pittsburgh) at around 8 or 9 am, this way it puts us there around noon.
Hopefully we will get a seat, Are there any take home mugs left?? Or anything else to take home to remember this Va oasis?
Anyone Know????
Thanks Jay

J

Like Turbogod said, I'd plan on lunch. It worked out fine for our group and we just managed to beat the crowd, which was lined up to get inside when we left! Rustbeltcat, there were still mugs to take home but no one could ever tell they were from the Honolulu unless you told 'em so (just generic Orchids style mugs w/sadly no identifiable markings) - I had to get a Tiki Tumbler just so I can remember how nice it is to actually take a souvenir mug home! Items from the restaurant are up for auction but I think the best way to remember this oasis in the tiki desert is to get there and see it for yourself. Honolulu will sadly be missed but here are some photos to remember it by...pics are not of an event but are meant to serve as a remembrance...

Honolulu as it was Saturday March 20th 2004

Interior of Honolulu

Johnny Dollar, Mrs. Suburban Hipster, Powerofthetiki and Chacha

My son "Iantiki" taking it all in...hey I'm trying to bring the kid up right by visiting all the tiki spots before they're gone!

Ikitnerv celebrating Honolulu Mai Tai #200!

Turbogod and Powerofthetiki contemplating the imminent demise of Honolulu...

Aloha Honolulu...we'll miss you...

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2004-03-23 07:15 ]

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2004-03-23 07:17 ]

I

This is very sad, indeed.

Off topic, but I can't help but wonder why the mod that locked the "font" thread hasn't chimed in here with some sort of passive-aggressive remark and links to the two other threads about the Honolulu's fate that have been active in the past couple of weeks. :roll: After all, we're supposed to consolidate topics, right? Even when the topics are different, but share a common keyword, right? :roll:

Iolani,
true, but this one's special.

I've got tears in my eyes thinking about this place, the pics posted here are also special.

Soon, it will be gone forever, save the wonderful pieces of history enjoyed in the lucky silent auction recipient's homes. Oh and me too, I purchased some un-marked mugs when I was there. Even though they are generic, they have a special place on my mug shelf, and the memories have a special place on the shelf in my heart :cry:

It makes me happy to see how many drinks and good times were enjoyed there. Thanks for those pictures and comments.

Here are some of the other Honolulu related threads:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=8229&forum=1

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=5310&forum=1

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7689&forum=1

I

BTW, who's car is that? You once cut me off on Prince Street, ya goon! :)

that's the green hornet...

:music: diddlediddleoodididididdleiddleooo...:music:

btw thanks for posting the pictures, johntiki! j$ (the other john)

Pages: 1 8 replies