Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

whoa-- new tiki bar discovered in SF?!?

Pages: 1 5 replies

M
mig posted on Tue, Mar 23, 2004 11:37 AM

Don't get TOO excited, it's possibly not even as "great" as Tiki Tom's, but I did stumble across it and there's no mention of it here yet!

I haven't put it in "Locating Tiki" yet (or Critiki'd it) because I don't have enough information yet to make the entries worthwhile. But anybody who's out and about near Fisherman's Wharf in SF, check it out!

It's at a bar called "Jack's Cannery Bar" on Jefferson (I think) and Leavenworth. It's in the touristy area where I don't get to much, but I was playing tour-guide for my cousin yesterday and ran across a sign that said "NEW TIKI BAR" and it sent me spinning.

Jack's is a regular old tourist bar... but the back room has been converted into a new "tiki bar." It was roped off when I went in to investigate, and nobody was around that I could ask questions of, but I was able to eyeball it and take a couple stealthy pictures.

Here's what I DON'T know:
-how or what the drinks are
-if there's any food or what it's like
-if drinks are served in mugs, or what they are
-what the music is like, if any
-IF IT'S ANY GOOD
-it's story (how long it's been there, who created it, how much of a "true" tikiphile they are, etc.)

Here's what I DO know:
-some bamboo, and decor is not bad... it DOES seem tropical/polynesian in there, and not in a "Rainforest Cafe" sense
-they have four or five TIKI BOBS painted on the poles

So anyone who finds themself around there-- check it out and report back! I will post a link to pictures soon.

-mig

M

I went last night to check it out, and it was closed. I would classify it as nothing to look at, but the Tiki Bob poles were a nice homage. There are signs pained on the walls inside that say Mai Tai and Navy Grog $5.00 and promise a 3 oz pour. The rest of Jack's bar was open. It's touristy but has some history and a great beer selection. There was a TV on in the tiki bar, and there's a lot of neon. At this stage, it's for the completists only.

There is a touristy shop next door that sells all kinds of SF crap, but happens to have a fantastic liquor selection. So I dropped some coin over there, and some lucky bus riders might just win some special prizes. (hint: it's a spirit distilled from sugar cane, popular in the Carribean)

On 2004-03-23 14:08, martiki wrote:
At this stage, it's for the completists only.

That's us, right?
:)

Trader Woody

On 2004-03-23 11:37, mig wrote:-they have four or five TIKI BOBS painted on the poles

I like the reincarnation of/homage to the SF tiki bar, even if only as a side show in a tourist bar.

Only a cable car ride away from Union Square, assuming one has an extra hour to wait in line for the cable car.

M
mig posted on Sat, Mar 27, 2004 1:06 PM

The trick to catching a cable car from Union Square: just walk up the cable car's route a block or two, and hop on it there when it stops at a traffic light. :) You still have to pay the $3, and it is of course "space permitting", but you dodge the line! Perfect way to go check out this NEW TIKI BAR (cough, cough)

On 2004-03-27 13:06, mig wrote:
The trick to catching a cable car from Union Square: just walk up the cable car's route a block or two, and hop on it there when it stops at a traffic light.

Is it really just that easy? I thought you weren't "supposed" to just hop on, not that it will stop me from using your excellent advice.

Pages: 1 5 replies