Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Taking a guitar on a plane.

Pages: 1 12 replies

Ok, I know there are quite a few musicians hiding out at T.C.. What are you recommendations for taking a guitar on a plane trip. I've got a Gibson J-150 and an Epiphone J-200 (both about the same size). I'm weighing the risk and I'm leaning towards taking the Epiphone, but was curious to hear if anyone had any tips. I've already spoken to the airline and they have advised me they will require me to sign a waiver.

i used to travel w/ my guitar a lot. i'd check it into special handling: take it to gate & check it at the jetway at boarding, just like what passengers w/ strollers etc. do.

i never had any problems.

probably wouldn't be a bad idea to loosen the strings a great deal or just de-string it all together.

if it means a lot to you, get it insured.
if it means a whole to you, buy it a seat.

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-03-23 13:30 ]

L
Lars posted on Tue, Mar 23, 2004 3:40 PM

Carry on.

If you want to carry it on, you'll probably have to prove to the airline that it will fit in overhead stowage or they'll want you to buy a seat for it (which a friend of mine actually did one time). Of course if you have a full scale electric bass & are on a tight budget (like me), I would suggest an Anvil case & insurance. I haven't flown in about 3 1/2 years now, so this advice might be obsolete considering all the new post 9/11 restrictions.

On 2004-03-23 16:00, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
If you want to carry it on, you'll probably have to prove to the airline that it will fit in overhead stowage or they'll want you to buy a seat for it (which a friend of mine actually did one time).

Yo-Yo Ma always travels with his cello in its own seat. I guess being a Stradivarius has its privileges. 8)

--cindy

M

...too big to carry on....I also got the suggestion to send it to the hotel by UPS....about $25 bucks each way....much cheaper than a plane ticket, but takes about 4 days each trip....

C

On 2004-03-24 06:25, mattfink wrote:
I also got the suggestion to send it to the hotel by UPS.

Don't do it. Search the forum for UPS and you'll see why.

M

Sounds like I'm screwed either way...lost on UPS or damaged by some knuckle dragging baggage handler...OH GOD, why didn't I pick the harmonica!!!

Mattfink,

I've got a Martin Backpacker guitar that comes in a gig bag. It's only about 30" long and 8" wide (don't go there Baxdog).

I never take it anywhere though, when I'm on vacation I'm usully too drunk to play anything...

Bong,

I'm talking the big daddy super jumbo accoustic...it looks normal sized in my pic, but I'm 6'4"! I haven't been able to even find a gig bag for it and they don't sell and SKB case for it either.

Matt

On 2004-03-24 09:45, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Mattfink,

I've got a Martin Backpacker guitar that comes in a gig bag. It's only about 30" long and 8" wide (don't go there Baxdog).

I never take it anywhere though, when I'm on vacation I'm usully too drunk to play anything...

Matt

If you're talking about VLV, maybe there's someone from another band who can loan you a guit for your gig? I know there's nothing like playing your own axe, but...

Thanks James, thats another possibility too...actually, I think I'm supposed to be loaning mine out too...lol!!!

K
Klas posted on Sat, Mar 27, 2004 7:32 AM

When we toured California we actually dismounted the guitars for the flight and hid them in our suitcases since we didn't have any work permission :D

And no, our drummer didn't have to put his drumkit in his suitcase :D :D :D

Pages: 1 12 replies