Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Did PMP make a ceramic tiki bell?

Pages: 1 3 replies

I found this ceramic bell or chime recently in a flea market; a sticker states that it was made in Japan but it has no other markings. It sure looks like the Paul Marshall Products coffee mug at the top of page 32 in Tiki Quest right down to the designs incised at top and bottom, however, I know designs were commonly ripped-off. Could anyone confirm its manufacturer?

I doubt this is from PMP, but it is a great cross-cultural item, as it reminds me of Japanese deities, like the bobbing heads in "Spirited Away".
It also makes me imagine an animation of a classic PMP mug being put on a hot stove and melting into this shape...

Very odd you should mention a ceramic Tiki bell. I just picked up one yesterday that is of a traditional Hawaiian Ku style Tiki. No pic as it is at home right now. I have not seen to many of these. The bell is probably 6 inches tall. LMK if you want to see a pic of it and I will oblidge.

M

The styling of the bell seems to be derived from these "PMP-inspired" mugs:

It's easy to see similarities side by side. All have the "wave" shapes on the top rim and the "X" shapes on the bottom rim. All have similar facial features and even the same fake woodgrain. I've never thought any of these mugs (or the bell) were made by Paul Marshall. None of them ever have makers marks. However I have seen the taller "praying monkey" mug with a Made In Japan sticker on it.

ModMana :drink:

Pages: 1 3 replies