Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Please help me identify this black Orchids of Hawaii mug

Pages: 1 6 replies

This mug has no markings other than Orchids of Hawaii Japan. At first I thought it was an R-70 (Tiki Quest, page 15) but it has marked differences, particularly about the mouth and eyes. Could it be another version of the R-70, just as the R-71 had earlier and later versions?

This was a common design for other Tiki utensil manufacturers too, mostly the cheap party supply store type. I have it as a piggy bank and as a table hurricane lamp, but both are in an ugly dull brown glaze, like treasure craft stuff, and made with that thin clay that feels like you can brake it off with your fingers.
See Tiki Quest p.145 for other items.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-03-24 09:38 ]

Thanks for the input. Has anyone sen this mug with an Orchids of Hawaii R-number stickered or incised on it?

I have the same mug, same glaze, except mine is a knock-off. It came with one of those little gold "made in China" stickers on the bottom.

I bought it at the same time as a bunch of other Orchids knock-offs from a local restaurant supply store. The molding seems a little blobbier than my real Orchids mugs, so maybe it was from an older mold or a mold cast off an actual mug.

It's one of my least favourite mugs because of the dull glaze.

aha- someone is dicovering the "multitude of black variations" mystery.

you will find that there are 3 or 4 Orchids black mugs that are just ever-so-slightly different from each other. I dont know the details, but I have a collection of them. I like the subtle differences.. and black mugs look cool all grouped together :)

fatuhiva informed

you will find that there are 3 or 4 Orchids black mugs that are just ever-so-slightly different from each other. I dont know the details, but I have a collection of them. I like the subtle differences.. and black mugs look cool all grouped together

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I like this one as it nicely contrasts my other OoH mugs when I group them.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-03-29 01:57 ]

F

I took a look at my collection last night and realized there are actually 6 subtle variations of that mug that I currently have- perhaps theres even more out there.

when i say variation i mean the actual carved form is slightly different.. not just the glaze. A nose is a little wider or carved differently- the mouth is a different shape etc etc.

Some of them are very matte, some are glossy-ish and one i think may even be painted black (?)

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2004-03-31 17:45 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies