Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents Tiki Taix II on March 26th

Pages: 1 19 replies

Come back to the enchanted puu puu platter of live Tiki variety.

King Kukulele takes you to Tahiti via Echo Park’s Taix French restaurant to celebrate the brand new King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis CD release party! (Previously only available in Europe)

Tonight we're changing the name to TIKI TAIX (Just say "Tiki Tex")

Friday March 26th, 10PM. No Cover

The evening starts off with a rare opportunity to see Phillipe, Maitre ‘di of the Year presenting his personal slides of Tahiti in 1967!!

AND!

Living Legend Bill Tapia the 96 year old Hawaiian ukulele player plays tunes just for YOU, 75 years after playing for the Grand Opening of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Wai Ki Ki!!!

ALSO!

Miehana’s Musical Mele--Rare musical gems from the past

AND!

King Kukulele and The Friki Tikis will perform facemelting Hapa Haole tunes with killer solos! Our CD will be available to all our Tiki Central friends. This is a limited edition...there are only 1,000...so far.

ALSO!

A live sattelite feed from the TIKI TI featuring Rod Grogg!!!

AND!

A video tour of one of the Southlands more spectacular Tiki Home Bars!!!

PLUS!

Special guest appearances throughout the night.

Join us for this one night only night one time. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

On 2004-03-24 03:41, KING KUKULELE wrote:

A live sattelite feed from the TIKI TI featuring Rod Grogg!!!

Who will, of course, be corresponding via satellite with his charming and handsome cousin!

-Iuka Grogg

oh no! more cousins on Tiki Central. This place is getting incestuous :)

Hi Everyone!
Johnnie and I would LOVE to be there but alas, our wedding is the next morning!! So, have fun for us and we will see you all upon our return from our FABULOUS honeymoon!
Aloha!
Kitty Velour "meow"

CA

this just in... if the King runs out of material Eric Rindal from Ape should be in the house!!! a song or two if there is an extra Uke around????????????

Once I saw Peter Pan, and Tinkerbell was going to die!!! I had to clap my hands...a long time. She lived.
Ever since I read Rev Ben's post about Crazy Al's accident I've been clapping my hands...will he live??? OR WON'T HE??
Find out this Friday at Tiki Taix as Crazy Al and Eric from APE jam with the Friki Tikis at TIKI TAIX. (No Crazy Al? No Eric! GOT IT?!)

A

Shelley and I are headed to LA. Who else is going.
Mahalo,
Al

D

I bumped into The King at the Tiki Ti last night, it sounds like tonights show is going to be a treat...too bad I can't make it tonight, but next months show is on my calendar!

I didn't go to the Taix #1 and from what I hear -- sounds like I missed out BIG TIME.

Wow, Denny, what a catch you made with Bill Tapia! It was amazing to watch him play and sing and think that this 96 year old man has BEEN there, like a time machine:
Smoked weed with Louis Armstrong in the 20s, played with Lani McIntyre, witnessed Pearl Harbour, tipped the raft at the Tonga Room (and fell in with the whole band)...

In Japan they call these veterans "Living Treasures". And he is, and so lucid and agile at that.

Loved Miehana's 16mm reels too, and Luka Grogg's and Trader Pup's concept videos...

Keep it up, a monthly Tiki event to mark on your calendar!

We are all stoked to have Bill and King Kukulele come play for us next month in Santa Cruz at Uke-Fest West.

http://ukefestwest.com

This weekend in April is going to be mind blowing. Anybody who resonates with the uke needs to be at this gathering.

Chongolio

Hey You All!!!
Thanks so much for coming out last night and welcoming an old friend into the gang. I mean a really old friend. 96 years and still ripping it up. I remember a special moment while I was onstage and the Friki Tikis were just going wild, running amok, I had no idea where they were going to take it, it was our closest thing to Spinal Taps "Jazz Odyssey" and I looked over at Bill and he had this totally bewildered and stunned look on his face! It was at that moment that I remembered that he was supposed to come up and do a few songs with us, and I think he was starting to have second thoughts. I love that guy. He's 96 years old, he's funny, fresh, flirty and I think he makes me appreciate life more just by knowing him. Thank you all again for being so welcoming to him.

And thanks again to Iuka and Rodd Grogg for their monthly Tiki Bar report, Miehana for his amazing 60 year old musical movies, Trader Pup for welcoming all of us into a behind the scenes look at the Spectacular East Indies Room, Crazy Al for Keeping Hope Alive! (wait till you see what he's cooking up for next month) Sugar Caddy Daddy for putting the word out on his events calendar

Randy and Naomi Jensen (AquaRj) came down from Northern California for a very special wedding, and it was an honor to have them at Tiki Taix!

M A H A A A A A A A L O !!!

CA

Holly Life Changing Experiences TikiMan!!

First I survive the Light at the end of the Tunnel, recover to make it to Tiki Taix... only to have a magical night watching Bill.

Just as the Bombay/Tonic tunnel was appearing on the drive home to Orange County.... The blissful tunes of the KING's! NEW! CD!! kept me on track the whole way... I only needed like two more songs.... good thing the CD was on repeat!

WOW! WOW! WOW! YOU MUST BUY THIS CD!!!!

GrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAT!!! The King is.... THE KING!!!!!

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2004-03-28 03:48 ]

Thanks for another great event, we had lots of fun.
Now for those of you who did not make it, I highly reccomend the King's new CD. We listend to it several times on the drive back, and it's great (not to mention the cover art by Shag).

Ran

Very, Very Cool King!! You're the new Bob (Don Ho) Hope of the century!! Isn't it cool when you get a chance to see a bit of history along with a great show. Although I do have one complaint....... I was under the impression that this was supposed to be a "Trekky" meet up. I even brought my Klingon decoder ring :( Oh well, I still enjoyed the great vintage Polynisian movies, Bill's performances, and the token Star Trek salutes. It made me feel more at home :)

ps...... keep working on the medleys, eventually you may find a groove your drummer doesn't know...... nah...... I doubt it. Thanks again!!

I do believe I had the pleasure of seeing Bill Tapia, if memory serves, a few years ago, at the Last Remaining Seat Series sponsored by the L.A. Conservancy at the Orpheum Theatre featuring the film "From Here to Eternity". So it was truly a remarkable experience to see him up close and personal. His stories were great, it was an honor.

My hats off to you King for putting together a great show! The film clips, the Friki Tikis, the "live" video, the East Indies Tour--was a real treat! Thank you for a most wonderful evening.

And I'll work on my hula to help out Shelly next time!

BILL TAPIA IS IN THE LA TIMES TODAY!!
Thanks again for all your support and interest in Tiki Taix. I have gotten an amazing response for our guest Bill Tapia the 96 year old ukulele player. He has told me that he would be happy to return and rock your world with some face melting solos!! And if you look on the the cover of the California section of the LA Times today THURSDAY April 1st You will see your own beloved Bill on the cover! He was great and You were great and he'll be back and we hope you'll be back for Tiki Taix III on April 30th 2004. Pre-Oasis Party...see you there.

D

Here's a link to get to the link to get to the article :P
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8391&forum=1&0

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-04-01 23:23 ]

On 2004-04-01 23:15, KING KUKULELE wrote:
...we hope you'll be back for Tiki Taix III on April 30th 2004. Pre-Oasis Party...see you there.

Hey, is this still happening? I've been planning on it, but this is the only mention I've seen of the event, and Friday's fast approaching. Fisherman Trio is playing at the Lava Lounge that same night, and I'm trying to decide between the two. I need more information!!!

T

Humuhumu - I'm going to do my darndest to make it to the Lava Lounge but I'm driving down after work, so we'll see. Hopefully I'll see you there! If not, I'll call you on Sat.

Pages: 1 19 replies