Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

proto-Tiki?

Pages: 1 0 replies

I picked up an interesting mug today and I was hoping someone could tell me something about it. It looks like a Don The Beachcomber-type thing, maybe a Tiki antecedent. It's clearly not a beer mug and you'll soon realize why.

It's about 5 1/2 inches tall with a pedastal-type stem and a big handle. It's made out of very heavy ceramic with a typically-Tiki glossy brown glaze. The weight and colour is very similar to a Stephen Crane mug.

The image on the front is a couple of sailing ships and a big, messy pile of rum barrels on a pier. It's a raised image in a typical Tiki style. On the back there are the raised words "Wood's Rum Toddy" in a seaworthy font. There are no markings on the bottom.

I picked it up for $5 CDN at a local antique shop. There was a second identical mug in a darker glaze but I only bought this one because the details showed better and let's face it, I'm a cheap guy.

Any idea what I've got here? It goes well with my pre-Tiki Hula Bowls. Sorry for the lack of a photo, I need to get a new flash battery for my old-ass Nikon digital camera.

I should add: a little research revealed Wood's is a brand of rum. I don't know if this helps.

[ Edited by: CowboyMike on 2004-03-25 23:31 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies