Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mystery Tiki Pole Carving - Big Bro?

Pages: 1 14 replies

JT

Folks, I came across this 8 ft. tiki at a local junk store. My guess was Marquesan. Any ideas what type and who may have carved it?

T

It looks more like a hawaiian style to me. What was the price on it?

That's some cool "junk"

Very unusual design, can't pin it to any carver. It's definitely Hawaiian, with the head dress and the body stance, but the face with the perfectly oval mouth I have never seen before, like someone made it to put a picture or a menu in there.
Looks like a solid piece, definetely get it if you can afford it!

that thing rules dude. BUY IT

J
JTD posted on Sun, Mar 28, 2004 5:59 AM

Jax,
Were they able to give you any history? I couldn't afford him, but was really disappointed when the folks working there had no idea where he came from. Be nice if he were a local artifact.

JTD

This tiki pole has been for sale for about three years at this antique store. I talked to the guy who owns it and he said it came from a theme park in south georgia that has closed (valdosta area). At one time he wanted over a thousand dollars for it, way over priced but who knows what he will take for it know. It is at a antique store of beach blvd in Jacksonville, fl. across the street from wal-mart if any one wants to check it out.

JT

That's exactly where it resides. They want over a grand for it, but it was interesting and the pursuit of knowledge gives me quite the rush. Finding out its background is 90% of the fun. (possession is the other 10%)

The owner didn't know anything on history and the price is too steep. I thought fellow TC'ers would enjoy the photo's.

Mahalo

J
JTD posted on Sun, Mar 28, 2004 8:15 AM

On 2004-03-28 07:31, Jax Tiki wrote:
Finding out its background is 90% of the fun. (possession is the other 10%)

Me too. Thanks, Neptune for the info.

JTD

I think that little price tag dripping like a tear from his eye is pretty symbolic, no? The high price keeps him from being adopted by a nice family who will give him a good home.

sniff

B

Exactly right Formikahini, and that Round mouth wasn't carved that way . The guy is Wailing with grief at having to be stuffed away in a corner,Unwanted like that. I'd really like to see a smile.

JT

On 2004-03-28 13:33, Formikahini wrote:
I think that little price tag dripping like a tear from his eye is pretty symbolic, no?
sniff

Kind of like the 70's tv commercials with the Chief Cody shedding a tear over trash.

Its beautiful, but yes, much too steep a price. If I saw something like that that I wanted I would get a hold of a nice log and take a bunch of pictures. Then carve away. Since I learned to carve my desire for large tikis is non-existant... I figure why spend the money when I can do one almost the same. I suppose if I came across a historic tiki it would make a difference, such as a Witco fountain...

Thank you for sharing the pictures though :)

Ok time to let the cat out of the bag,
I paid a grand for my stash of tikis here in western PA, I have abit of history on them, but no pics or anyhting other than the legend I already shared, I thought that they would go for big bucks, but now I feel that they are going to stay in storage till I have a place of my own with high ceilings.
I do want to snag the tikis at "Kennywood" but they just put them up last year to go with the two new rides there. I'll try and get pics when they open again.
Jay

Pages: 1 14 replies