Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: Never seen before tiki stuff, yup a shameless plug

Pages: 1 35 replies

Hey everyone, check out this tiki planter then click on "view sellers other items." If you buy anything and mention you are a Tiki Central member I'll give a 20% discount on any purchase.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3905325894&category=29460&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

YOu've got quite alot of nice stuff there. I got to save up for my vacation, but when I get back...

It will be here, mostly. But the 20% discount always applies...just remind me.

B

Definately some Nice carvings Especially the Planter I really like that.
Care to trade?
What kind of wood and What or Which Islands, Looks balinesian or there abouts.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Mar 27, 2004 5:11 PM

Hey that's a nice offer. I'm gonna have to take you up on it.

B

I would still like to know what Islands the carvings are from?
And what kind of wood?

Depending on the carving it is either coconut palm,suar or pua. As to a trade,whatcha got? And islands, well you guessed it.

B

I havent guessed any Islands yet, I don't think they are from Hawaiian Islands.
Look me up in Creating Tikithats where you will see anything I have to trade
Oh,"I did guess it" then these are bali carvings or their out islands. Those artists are spectacular.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-03-30 07:17 ]

Allright, I've been looking everywhere for your stuff. Where exactly can I see it? And ya, those guys on Bali are insane carvers!

smokintikis wrote:
Allright, I've been looking everywhere for your stuff. Where exactly can I see it?

Smokin~
Have a glass of water handy because you will find that your mouth will get very dry from the jaw-dropping experience of seeing Benzart's items.

Got H2O? Ok, Here you go!

Ok, I'm an idiot, or is that just the tequila talking? I only looked at the first page before. Ben if you're out there, I love the little necklace guy with the big lips, I saved the picture, e-mail me at [email protected] and lets talk. -J

And thanks SCD.

B

Thanks SugarCaddyDaddy. I'll e-mail smokintiki this morning.

T

I bid and won a couple of wall tikis on Ebay from smokintiki. The wood is so light but the patina gives them an ancient look. They look great next to the painting I did of a tropical jungle waterfall. Wish I had known about the discount.

Hey Tikiboy, sorry about that. It was just recently something I came up with. If you reorder I'll give you a good deal. E-mail me if interested.
Later -J

H

As a recent buyer, I can vouch for the quality and value of SmokinTiki's stuff.

I just got the three tiki drew brophy set from smokin, and I must say that Smokintiki is ;"The Duke, You're a number one... the king of New York!"

If I can quote Escape From New York, I never miss the oppourtunity!

Great seller. Great stuff!

smokintikis sucks. he's ripping off bosko's designs and using his name to sell his crap on ebay!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2009-03-03 10:57 ]

LT

On 2009-03-03 10:56, kingstiedye wrote:
smokintikis sucks. he's ripping off bosko's designs and using his name to sell his crap on ebay!

I see a lot of that stuff in a local, coastal shop. It's an obvious rip-off so I won't buy it.

From the auction description:

"This auction is for a hand carved tiki mask that is very similar to one Bosko has done. Unfortunately for me I ordered these thinking they were old Witco designs, and have not wanted to sell them once I found out they weren't. However, I can't just sit on them, so I'm putting them up for sale and not getting anymore of them in. Just to let you know, I didn't knock these off, I ordered them from a supplier that was doing them already for somebody out of Hawaii."

He really doesn't want to sell them, but...

He's only going to sell them until he runs out of stock?

Buzzy Out!

On 2009-03-03 11:12, LOL Tiki wrote:

I see a lot of that stuff in a local, coastal shop. It's an obvious rip-off so I won't buy it.

I think we can guess who that local coastal shop's supplier is...

Buzzy Out!

LT

On 2009-03-03 11:18, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

I think we can guess who that local coastal shop's supplier is...

Yeah, it's pretty obvious. They're accompanied by items that appear to be Crazy Al and Doug Horne rip-offs as well.

So they actually are Doug Horne and Crazy Al rip offs? I've always wondered... I saw those Doug Horne ones at the local shop you guys are most likely talking about. I just thought that Doug Horne licensed those designs out. I never noticed the Crazy Al one before.

So even that Crazy Al one with his label, number and signature is fake? I'm stunned this is the first time this has been brought up! Does Crazy AL know yet?

LT

On 2009-03-03 12:56, Tiki Shaker wrote:
So they actually are Doug Horne and Crazy Al rip offs? I've always wondered... I saw those Doug Horne ones at the local shop you guys are most likely talking about. I just thought that Doug Horne licensed those designs out. I never noticed the Crazy Al one before.

So even that Crazy Al one with his label, number and signature is fake? I'm stunned this is the first time this has been brought up! Does Crazy AL know yet?

I don't know if Doug Horne licensed out the designs; if that's the case then those pieces may be kosher, but I didn't see any indication that the pieces were licensed products. The item I saw which looked to me like a Crazy Al knock-off was not represented as a genuine Crazy Al piece (no label, number, signature, etc.); it was not an outright forgery.

Oh, Ok. I was going by what was listed in this guys ebay store. In that, it appears it was a Crazy Al licensed piece. On his ebay site, he makes it seem like Doug Horne is cool with what he's selling too. I'd love to get clarification from Doug and Crazy Al to find out what is what. I sure don't want to purchase anything that's a non licensed, ripped off design. I fell kinda bad, cuz I used one of the fake Bosko ones on my bbq cart

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29879&forum=18&hilite=bbq%20cart

I didn't even realize it was a Bosko rip off. I just bought it because I wanted something affordable that I wouldn't get upset about if it got screwed up outside, beneath the bbq.

K
KKKMMM posted on Tue, Mar 3, 2009 7:15 PM

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings there is just about every type
of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
used some of the parts to make my babington wvo bu

MN

I do believe Jason , Smokintikis, "has done business" WITH Doug and Al. Totally legit!! Jason happens to be a guy with the funds to have items made in the Bali region. Maybe he bought items that looked like Bosko or Witco or maybe he just had them made.

I see his (Smokintikis) stuff in two major San Diego co-op dealers. Pangaea (Pacific Beach) and Lotus (Solana Beach) somethin or other. They could very well be his stalls.?

His Smokin' Tiki logo is somewhat resembling Squid / Von Franco Tiki Farm cigar smokin tiki, kinda.

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-03-04 14:47 ]

Ok, I've got to say a couple of you guys are idiots. Why don't you check with Al and Doug before going off half cocked and telling me I suck. Both Al and Doug get royalties from my sales and Al's are signed by him personally.
As to the Bosko style piece, it was already being knocked off by these guys. http://www.tikimaster.com/category/004.35/
As I said in my e-bay piece it was a mistake on my part in buying them. I even contacted Bosko, think I talked to his wife about having them and what to do about it. I offered to do a licensing thing with them, but they weren't interested. She said their stuff is knocked off all the time, and if you check the link you'll see who by.
And yes, I am going to sell them 'till I'm out of stock. I have about 10 more pieces.
So there you go.

Glad that was cleared up... now I wont feel bad if I buy one of those Doug Horne ones!

Jason is all good in my book.

Its hard not to jump to conclusions but a little research will reveal he has been a part of TC for a long time and has participated in MANY vending events.

He aint no stranger and is only trying to make the best of the circumstances.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2009-03-04 12:18 ]

Thanks for that Derek.

On 2009-03-04 12:17, Monkeyman wrote:
Jason is all good in my book.
Its hard not to jump to conclusions but a little research will reveal he has been a part of TC for a long time and has participated in MANY vending events.
He aint no stranger and is only trying to make the best of the circumstances.

derek, i have to disagree here. he might be a long time tcer and a nice guy, but stealing an artist's intellectual property and then having the nerve to use his name in the auction title is inexcusable. there's no way that's all good.

T

Hello all I usually don’t like to post anything when it regards someone stealing my work. But in this case I would like to say Jason is as Derek (and a few other people have told me) “all good” in my book also. I contacted him when this all first came to light we traded a few emails and he very graciously offered to give me the carvings (quite a few as a matter of fact) for Karma’s sake. We appreciate that it is not Jason that took our designs and had them produced but someone else here on T.C. Obviously this type of thing is very frustrating and there is very little one can do about it I wish consumers could see the difference in quality and what is wrong with this type of behavior. That certain people are selling designs and the physical carvings as their own work is disgusting, openly lying to everyone you meet that you have an ability or talent is a strange way to go thru life.
Again I would like to say that Jason is OK, he was as innocent as we were in this whole mess, but we are glad to have met him.

Sorry it took me so long to post this we have been busy,

My very best Alohas,

Bosko

bravo to jason for doing the right thing! it seems he is a good guy who just made a mistake. i encourage tcers to call out anyone using other artist's designs. support your local tc artist!

Jason has been a very good friend to House of Tiki and we've always loved having him supply us with awesome stuff. He's a really awesome guy, full of Aloha, and has bent over backwards on quite a few occassions to help us out of an inventory bind. He's "good people" as my ohana says, and we're always proud to have SmokinTiki wares at House of Tiki.

Aloha Jason!

CJ

Jason is a stand up guy!

Pages: 1 35 replies