Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Rincon Room-Home Bar-Updated

Pages: 1 29 replies

You are a very talented group. I don't paint or carve, but I like to put stuff together. Here is the progress so far......

TikiTony's unsolicited art......Thanks Tony!

This was originally the laundry/hobby room of our Eichler. Moved the washer & dryer to the garage to make room for some music (Blues & Rockabilly)

Music & carpet out, exposing the crappy linoleum floor and the mahogany paneling that the former owner had painted over.

Bought 1 roll of Tatami matting from OA that covered all but this 1 area behind bar where we used Luahala. No nails or staples.....used an adhesive for attaching fiberglass insulation to sheet metal duct.

The stuff at the lower wall was a new product at OA. Tahitian Bamboo. Very flat bamboo strips on a cloth backing, same adhesive used, it comes 4' tall x 8' long. I cut it down to 3'

I forgot to take pictures of the walls with the bamboo before decorating

The seagrass covered the floor nicely. More decorating to do.....and stock the bar. Aloha!

[ Edited by: bongofury on 2004-03-27 10:26 ]

[ Edited by: bongofury on 2004-05-19 21:59 ]

O

Wow!! Looks like you've been busy. Very cool room, can't wait to see it one day.
:drink:

[ Edited by: OnaTiki on 2004-04-20 22:57 ]

KD

Hi Bongofury,

Cool, another Eichler dweller!

We have owned our Eichler here in the Bay Area for 20+ years now. We had a house fire a while back and the insurance company had to replace the ceiling with the original knotty pine, we stained it. Were hoping to be back in next month. Yours is looking real nice!

Is that like some of the natural grass fiber wall paper on the upper portion of the walls? We were looking for some for ours, but didn't find what we liked.

[ Edited by: Kava Dan on 2004-03-27 11:52 ]

[ Edited by: Kava Dan on 2004-03-27 11:55 ]

Great transformation! When's the first party? :)

PS - I thought I had a lot of music...GOOD GOD, MAN!

Very nice Bongofury,
I love the twisted rattan barstools.
I'm sensing a real Aloha vibe.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Ron and Mickee, that place is too cool. It fits with the vibe of the house. Sweet Jaysus!

What a great little bar and a totally cool transformation. That seagrass flooring is a classic isn't it. I bet the room looks great at night. Thanks for sharing the progress pictures. Very inspiring!

Hey Bongo's!!?? That chest/cabinet is out of control!!!! What, when, where, how, ???? I keep going back to it and checking it out(more photos please). Bee u tee f'in full!!! I'm in awe!!! Maybe I could see it in person (and caress it) someday.

Lookin' good Bongo! So when's the party? :)

O

Great job guys. Man you weren't lying about those CD's.
See you at Oasis.
:drink:

umm...WHOA!!!

Thanks everyone. Please don't wait for a party to visit (for all TCers near and far}. We stiil have some sideyard work so not sure when the party will be.

OnaTiki.....You have also been busy, wait till TC sees your place! Post some pics soon. Kava Dan.....We had badly smoke stained redwood ceilings and a countryfied mess. 14 years and a lot of work. Polynesiac.....5,000 cds and 6,000 lps was my pre-tiki collecting habit. Now the cds are funding the Tiki lifestyle through Amazon (BluesourceZshop}. Tiki Royale.....stools came with the bar, orange upholstery coming soon. Chiki.....see ya soon. Pariartspaul....night shot below. Bamboo Ben.....I carved that case, frames and poles next. Polypop.....come on up, 2 guest rooms. Smogbreather.....just 2 minutes off the 101, on the way to El Capitan.......

Found a before the decor shot.

Night time.

Backyard volcano.

O.K. . .....I did not carve it. Faux wood attached to a standard 60s hutch. Salvation Army. Saw a damaged end table that matched this at a thrift store 150 miles away, so this must have been available with headboards, dressers, etc.
And now ......a very rare piece......

Custom BB lap steel. Hard to find, check his website.

[ Edited by: bongofury on 2004-03-30 20:36 ]

Wow! You guys have really done a great job. The night shots are awesome. Thanks for the invite. Should we bring swim suits?

T

yowza! Great work RoNgoBongoFury. I thought you're pad was already gnarly but this is chissel-dropping spectacular. Can't wait until the party. Can't wait to show you the "secret carving techniques for a Ventura Local" for you're sideyard hut. You forgot to show off the trees growing in the middle of your house, with the clamshell water fall. This place is a true paradise!

Maholo for the project photos. I'm puzzeling over how to do something similar to our condo.
KG

Bong, You Rock!
A truly special place to live.
Thimnk of the money you'll save from just vacationing at home.
The name you chose is also very special,
I love Rincon Point

aloha-fellow eichler owner. beautiful work! we actually just sold our eichler in orange, ca and now live in oregon. i always wanted to have a tiki room so i took over our laundry area and its now a tiki laundry room. not as professional as yours is, but hey-now i enjoy doing the laundry! once i figure it out i will post my pictures.
mahalo!

Nice bar!

Bongo Fury's-

Man! Love that style! The dresser looks like it has 777 on/in it. Rub it before you gamble! I don't know a whole lot about, a whole lot but, is it kinda Frank Lloyd Wright?-ish ish? The texture is Rocks!!

p.s. The sticker must make it hard to play. It belongs on the underside of the toilet seat! Hey! Everyone has to pee! What better advertising is that? One of the most vulnerable moments!!! (I should have been an ad exec!)

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Apr 21, 2004 1:55 AM

beautiful Ron! Your sign should be in da mail next week braddah! I like da night shot and how the dinning room is really bright but you look over to da right and you see the dark mysterios room to da right.

very nice

Thanks to all for your kind words. Shipwreck......bring your suit, pool has solar & a heater, Kaluageoff.....Swanky (and maybe others) has a cool post on attaching stuff to ceilings without damage, go for it, Unga........If you can't go on vacation, vacation at home, TikiCruise.....I think we would all like to see pics of your Tiki/Laundry room, BK........thanks, high praise from someone with such a great home bar and carving skills, Rev.......I'm glad you see 777 and not 666, the sticker works fine, no frets on a steel to get in the way, Gecko.....the mystery of night is what we were going for, sometimes I need a flashlight to load the cd player, looking forward to the sign,

The ceiling is still white, have not decided what to do there yet. The shelf that holds the mugs near the ceiling is just pine, bottom covered with the extra bamboo cut off from the lower wall sections, edge is Sea Grass Braid attached with Titebond wood glue (I believe that was copied from a post of a shelf by the talented Alnshelly). Shelves attached to wall with L brackets and covered with split bamboo at the matting seams.

We may try to have a party either in late June or?

Bongo, can I spend the night at yer house?I'll sleep in the (usedtowas) laundry/hobby room.

Bongo, can I spend the night at yer house? I'll sleep in the (usedtowas) laundry/hobby room.

Come on up Tikitortured! The party is on! Mrs. Fury has a break in her hectic schedule the last Saturday in June......watch Tiki Events.....Gecko makes it official.....Check out the sign.....

A 2 sided beauty.......

Un-freakin'-believable that such hipness lurks so close by! I WILL be dropping by to soak it all in! Are you in the houses near the hospital? We we're looking there when we were buying but CHA-CHING! a little out of our range and I can see why! What a pad!

T

whoa, great sign gecko! see you at the party everyone!

I'm gonna retire the chisels now, thanks Gecko. Ron, it's party time!

G
GECKO posted on Sun, May 23, 2004 1:13 AM

Glad ya like da sign. You guys have fun. Nice pad by da way. Is that thing hanging on da wall da united airlines display behind my sign to da left?

We love the sign Gecko! Yes you are correct. That is a UA Hawaii map in the background. The frame is cool, but the map is faded from being in the sun and the big island has a crack. We got the barstools and a foot rest re-upholstered in a 60s orange, it's a lot more orange than the pic.

Looking forward to seeing the Rincon Room in person in June!

Pages: 1 29 replies