Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Van Halen touring with Sammy Hagar? U gotta be kidding!

Pages: 1 22 replies

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2016-02-20 22:16 ]

The thing Eddie never understood, or admitted, is that David was as much of Van Halen as he was, guitar legend or no.

D

Preach it brother! They never regained that energy they had with Dave. They were a 'dirtier' band then. I'm not talkin' lyrical content either. They just had more of a dirty rock edge. Sammy Hagar is too much of a polished metal-rock guy.

T

I'm with ya on the "Dave" thing. I just never got into "Van Hagar". If only Eddie could put his ego aside, just think of the coin they would have made on a world tour.

M

I always thought it would be cool to have two sets, a Sammy set and a Dave set- they could alternate headlining each night. Then, yes, the thing would be the highest grossing tour in years.

Anyone catch Diamond Dave at the poker table on the Sopranos Sunday? Eek! Not sure I want to see him on stage anymore.

On 2004-03-29 19:47, TikiBud wrote:
If only Eddie could put his ego aside, just think of the coin they would have made on a world tour.

Its not only Eddie, but Alex.

On 2004-03-29 19:47, TikiBud wrote:
If only Eddie could put his ego aside, just think of the coin they would have made on a world tour.

I think they BOTH have an ego. Dave's ego is just as big as Eddie's!

But I digress. Dare I say, I like Van Halen with Sammy Hagar just as I like it with David Lee Roth? I do - Although in my opinion, they are two different bands. Their music evolved over time just as music in general evolves over a period of time. They were fortunate to find success with different vocalists - an accomplishment that many bands find challenging.

The Van Halen I hate? --- The one with Gary Sheron (sp?). Now THEY sucked.

Makes me wonder though, about the new tour they announced. With no new album or new music, they look like they're doing it just for the $$$$$.

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-03-30 11:57 ]

Oh and another thing ---

Realizing that these guys have played for almost 3 decades is beginning to age me. I vividly remember the day I heard 'Running with the Devil' for the first time on my buddies LP player. I was something like 9 years old.

There's not one guy in VH that's under 50. Sammy himself was born in 1947 -- that makes him almost 60!!!!

And these guys are young compared to the The Rolling Stones -- who must be something like 400 years old in combined age.

YIKES!

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-03-30 14:23 ]

Not to split hairs here, but of the original VH, Alex Van Halen is a coupla years over 50. Dave, Eddie, and Michael will all be turning the big 5-0 next year. Jeez....life is short.

I got my first Van Halen LP in '79 which was Van Halen II. According to my calculator here that would make all the dudes in the band just in their middle 20s. Doesn't seem that long ago, but I guess it was. Glad I saw them when I did. They were younger then, than I am now! Frig! Funny thing is I still feel now like I did then.

On another VH note: Somewhere a few years ago somebody I was talking to suggested that Eddie do his own album, just like Jeff Beck, Satriani, Malmsteen and all those other guitarist have. I think that if Eddie did embark on a solo project it could be pretty interesting, then again it could REALLY suck.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-03-30 12:16 ]

On 2004-03-30 12:11, donhonyc wrote:
Not to split hairs here, but of the original VH, Alex Van Halen is a coupla years over 50. Dave, Eddie, and Michael will all be turning the big 5-0 next year.

You're right about Eddie, he will be 50 next year but Michael will be 50 in 3 months (this is according to the link you provided above).

But really, my point was about how fast time flys.

Today's Boy-band is tomorrow's has-been yearning for a reunion, a second chance at their career or God forbid, a regular gig in Vegas.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-03-30 14:32 ]

M

Diamond Dave DID have a regular gig in Vegas for a while there.

TB

Dave is entering Keith Richards territory on looks. He looked real bad on the Soporanos, the rock road has definitley worn on him.

T

On 2004-03-30 12:11, donhonyc wrote:
I got my first Van Halen LP in '79 which was Van Halen II. According to my calculator here that would make all the dudes in the band just in their middle 20s. Doesn't seem that long ago, but I guess it was. Glad I saw them when I did. They were younger then, than I am now! Frig! Funny thing is I still feel now like I did then.

It seems like only yesterday I was buying a baseball style Van Halen concert shirt out at the Hollywood Sportatorium. Jeez, I am getting old.

D

Yo Tikibud!

Which Sportatorium shows were you at? I saw both my VH shows there!

T

1984 is the only year I saw them at the Sportitorium. I also saw them at the Palm Beach Auditorium(?) in '79 or '80.

Tikibud!

We were at the same show in '84 at the Sportatorium (a venue that will live in infamy). I think I remember seeing you there. Were you the one with the Tiki lighter?

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2016-02-20 22:15 ]

T

Van Halen ended with 'House Of Pain' in 1983...

T

Does the new Van Hagar song suck or what. What a bunch of crap.

D

They actually recorded a new song?? Jeez, when is Eddie going to come to his senses and make a solo album with a different band, and a couple of guest singers. A coupla instrumental tracks, a coupla tracks with a guest vocalist. And if he's smart he'll get Dave to do one of the tracks. C'mon Ed....get off the pipe and make some real music!

For some great VH images from back in the day check out http://www.davidleeroth.com/

...guaranteed to satisfy.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-06-01 20:11 ]

DZ

On 2004-06-01 20:08, donhonyc wrote:
They actually recorded a new song?? Jeez, when is Eddie going to come to his senses and make a solo album with a different band, and a couple of guest singers. A coupla instrumental tracks, a coupla tracks with a guest vocalist.

Back in the early 80's Eddie recorded an incredible album with Brian May of Queen called the "Star Fleet Project".

http://www.comcen.com.au/~dgiambru/star.htm

It was recorded in the studio almost on the spur-of-the moment (and the liner pix are great!) - side one was the theme to a TV show called 'Star Fleet', and another very Queen-like tune called 'Let Me Out', but side two is nothing but an extended instrumental improv blues jam called 'Blues Breaker' that simply has to be heard - two incredible guitarists just having fun, and it shows. I've got the album in storage, and I haul it out every so often (I don't think it's on CD yet).

I also have an incredible live Van Halen bootleg from the private concert they held for their friends when they got signed to Warner Bros. records back in 1977. (Pasasdena Civic, December '77 - listed in Hot Wax as "Moon Madness") The sound quality is amazing, and the 9-minute version of Eruption/D.O.A. leaves me speechless still, 27 years after it was recorded.

Also (now this really dates me) I saw Van Halen play a backyard party in Torrance, CA, in 1975 when they were still called Mammoth. As a 5th grader at the time, I was really into Aerosmith and Zeppelin, and couldn't quite comprehend what I was seeing, but it left an indelible mark in my psyche.

Oh, and Van Halen's 1981 "Fair Warning" tour was the first time I ever spent the night in line for tickets - man, talk about a party!! Good times...

D

Z-

Great memories dude. Yes, I remember 'Star Fleet'. They played that cut on the radio all the time when it came out. My good friend had the EP but I don't ever remember giving the whole thing a good listen.

The one bootleg you mentioned I think I had on cassette and lost somewhere along the line. Is that the recording when before one of the tunes at the end Michael Anthony yells out something like 'Ted Templeman, this one's for you"?

I also had a cassette bootleg of VH at Anaheim Stadium probably 1979. Lost that one too. One of the bootlegs I managed to hold on to was given to me on one of my trips to L.A. a couple of years ago. A guy who lives in my friend's apartment complex had a party one night and he had all this memorabilia from growing up in the 70s. Actually he was a very cool guy who was really into collecting. He broke out a cassette copy of Van Halen live in 1976 at a place called Eros & Bogarts in San Bernadino. This is an amazing bootleg of the boys doing some originals and alot of covers including 'Superstition' by Stevie Wonder, Aerosmith 'Sweet Emotion', and Led Zeppelin 'The Rover' just to name a few. A really amazing recording. So this guy sees how taken aback I am by the whole thing, and just fuckin GIVES it to me. I actually have it on the desk now. Great person. I think he had a master copy of it stashed somewhere, so he could afford to give it up. Still...who the heck does that kinda thing for a total stranger?

Z! I can't beleive you saw those dudes playing like that before they got big. Awesome!

S
SES posted on Wed, Jun 2, 2004 8:46 AM

Had to look through my records to see what Van Halen I had and found two Van Halen(1978), Diver Down(1982) right next to my Uriah Heep Demons and Wizards.
:)

I gotta speak up here. A week from today is the San Diego Van Halen show and I can't wait! I've seen them once with David and twice with Sammy - like them both for different reasons. The best of both worlds as they put it.

I grew up in the Bay Area and my best friend at the time was a MAJOR Sammy Hagar fan. We saw pretty much every show he did. Hell, we even cut school one day because we heard he was in Stockton filming his video for "I Can't Drive 55" (I know - geek alert)

Anyway, I LOVED Van Halen, until I heard the cover-ridden Diver Down. I thought they got whimpy with "Jump" - now this. When Diamond Dave was kicked out so he had more time to do more covers, I thought, "oh well, it was fun while it lasted". Then the rumours that Sammy was the new front man... Beautiful - two favorites in one!

I do admit that I liked the first two or three albums with Sammy, but then lost total interest after that. They just fell into that bland self-serving rut.

There was no point to this rant other than the fact that (I think) both men were great with Van Halen in different ways. It has been about 16 years since I've seen them, so my opinion may change about Sammy after next Tuesday... I'll let you know.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-08-10 11:42 ]

Pages: 1 22 replies