Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What is HMOOB

Pages: 1 7 replies

Further inquiry revealed this

I found an explanation of Hmoob here...

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000505.html

Hmmm...Well, http://www.hmoob.com is currently closed for maintainance, & says you should "Please come back later."

I think Hmoob is the Hmong word for themselves. The Hmong were a Vietnamese/Laotian hill tribe that backed the US during the Vietnam war. If you remember reading about Vietnamese & Laotian boat people, usually they meant Hmong.

There must be a lotta Hmoobs here.

On 2004-03-29 14:12, floratina wrote:

I thought most of them were in the Fresno area. I haven't seen "Hmoob" on ATMs around here, but I have seen options for Chinese and Vietnamese, (and, of course, Spanish).

On 2004-03-29 14:40, cynfulcynner wrote:

On 2004-03-29 14:12, floratina wrote:

I thought most of them were in the Fresno area. I haven't seen "Hmoob" on ATMs around here, but I have seen options for Chinese and Vietnamese, (and, of course, Spanish).

Cyn, there's some in Tx & La, but there's a ton in So Ca, just not around Little Saigon.

D

That screenshot looked like a Wells Fargo ATM. I dunno if information usually flows this way, but Wells Fargo is one of the bigger banks in the upper Midwest (having bought out Norwest a few years ago). And the Twin Cities are one of the main areas of Hmong resettlement. So it could be that Wells Fargo is marketing to the Hmong nationally given their client base around here. The Hmong are nice folx. Without delving into proscribed areas, they've gotten a pretty raw deal over the last 40 years. Minnesota Sen. Mee Moua was the first Hmong person elected to state senate in the US (a few years ago). Even around here, where there are comparitively a lot of Hmong, they tend to get lost in the shuffle, given that there are also large Vietnamese, Cambodian and ethnic Laotian populations in the Twin Cities. Their language does look strange in Roman letters. I guess with Vietnamese, it's easier to see the words as foreign because there's all those carets and tails on the letters, but Hmong looks more like misspelled English.

DZ

Speaking of ATMs...

Question: How come the folks that manufacture ATMs are courteous enough to include Braille lettering on the buttons and keypad, but all the instructions and information is still only on the video screen?

And how come "Drive Up Only" ATMs have Braille lettering in the first place?

These things I ponder while withdrawing money.

Pages: 1 7 replies