Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

"Worst Tiki Mug Ever!!!" -Comicbook Guy

Pages: 1 20 replies

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2130681645

Well it is a mug. There is a Tiki.

:sheckymug:

T

I just saw this "mug" (and a lot of other mugs) in a 50s/modern store on San Pablo in Oakland. Anybody been there? Sorry, don't know the name of the place, but they are around about 30th Ave. There were probably about 15 different mugs there.

I'm no mug-ologist so I don't know a collectible from a disposable (but I'd guess the Sea World cup is the latter). Worth a look if you're in the area. Prices seemed kind of high, but again, I'm no expert.

Yucky-poo. Pretty awful! Don't think I'd even take one of those free!

K

C'mon...it has a certain charm. I almost bought one of these at a swap meet. I guess the emphasis here is on "almost."

You can't really call yourself a completist though, unless you have one of these babies! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Well, call me a completest. That must be my excuse. I did get one of those as a gift AND I do have it on the shelf AND I think it's great!(Well, at least in the context of the whole room vibe). Semi-unapologetically-

-Weird Uncle Tiki

A

Living in San Diego, Sea World Memorabilia is of interest to me. They probably sold a million of those mugs. I've seen quite a few on Ebay. I need one. I'll only buy one if I find it at a garage sale or thrift store for under a dollar.
Al

Hey..I kinda like that mug...I'd pick it up for a buck or less...Like you said it is a mug and there is a tiki!

I have one. I found it at a thrift store for 50 cents. And if I found another one for 50 cents...I'd buy it.

Erich Troudt

P

I have two of those! Maybe I'll throw one on ebay....

--pamela (tiki newbie)

M

Ok, that is definitely a low-rent Tiki mug. However, my vote for UGLIEST mug in existence (commercially made)....

Kon-Tiki Ports Sheraton.

Mine is from Boston, others wree from Hawaii. Made by Daga, earlier ones like mine by Crane Associates. It is without a doubt, hands down, no argument, all-time gruesome. It's a cross between a rancid clam and some medical school visual aid.

I have to sneak up on mine. I swear, but cannot prove it empirically, that the mugs around this beast actually move away from it. The distance is barely perceptible, but they're trying to escape. Listen close, you can hear their screams.

It's looking at me now. I'd better stop.

midnite

midnite

Can you post a picture of this monstrosity? Or will it break the camera? :)

M

Ok, but I warned you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2128602350

The Horror...
midnite

DZ

I think it looks like one of those super-close ups of a praying mantis about to devour its mate. scary... I have to keep mine isolated from my other mugs, with a "PRIMO Hawaiian Beer" warrior mug on either side to guard it, just in case it tries to escape and decapitate the others...

T

That is spooky. Kinda got that predator look to it. or something from a Clive Barker movie

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2002-08-20 21:32 ]

W

Back in the old Yahoo days I posted about that Sheraton mug. I'd just picked one up for 5O cents and thought it had to be the ugliest Tiki mug out there. I directed folks to an online picture of the mug that was at a vintage shop's website. The next day I got an e-mail from the shop. I thought they were going to tsk-tsk me but instead they thanked me as someone from Tiki Central read my post and bought the mug. I still think the mug has a face only a drunk mother could love.

I actually bought my second of these mugs months after seeing the first. The first had obviously come out of a mold that was about to be thrown away as it's features were more blob than mantis.

I got the second because it was made for the Sheraton at Heathrow airport, London. At the time, it was the only kinda British mug that I was aware of, despite being made in Hawaii.

It's also fairly heavy and undoubtably painful if thrown at force, so it's the one I'll pick up if I ever have to confront a burglar!

Trader Woody

My mom brought me one of those ugly bastards. She found it at a flea market by the road in Franklinton, Louisiana. I said I would never bid on one and I didnt. Kon-Tiki, What where you thinking? Damn thats ugly!

I don't know- I think it's SO scary looking, that it's actually pretty cool!

But maybe that's because it's more disturbing "in the flesh"?

L

once i saw a 1950s black & white horror movie and the monster looked exactly like this mug. i'm not kidding! it was slow and i think had a greasy liquid that dripped out of it's mouth. BTW i've got this mug...unless i donated it to hawaiian breeze here in town.

M

Here's a chance to pick up the older version of this best, one made by Crane Associates. Really makes little diference in terms of its repulsiive countenance, these buggers hit every limb after falling out of the ugly tree.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2131710393

If your collection is without this classic mug...good thing! Of course mine is on a bottom shelf, WAAAYYY in the back. It will be totally safe during the next big quake...as my Tiki Bobs and Ren Clark mugs come crashing down.

No joke, someone once paid $100 for this mug.

midnite

Oh, yeah. I remember someone paying wayyyyyyy over the odds for one of these. They aren't even that old. (late 80's?) Perhaps they thought it was an original Crane from the 50's or something.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 20 replies