Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Glass Floats and Netting at Michaels, now Glass "Floats" at Target

Pages: 1 18 replies

hey all,

in the spirit of finding coco joes at dollar tree and suffering bastards full of beans at t.j. maxx, my wahine informs me that there are currently glass floats (complete with netting) and separately sold netting at michael's arts and crafts, at least locally to us.

http://www.michaels.com

the glass floats come in yellow, blue and green (?) and are about 5 inches diameter. they were about $5 each.

the netting was about $8 each. i didn't get a dimension.

apparently these items were near a decorative area that sells seashells and driftwood, etc.

good luck ~ j$

(shelling seasells)

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-07-13 06:50 ]

thanks for the tip. We were going to buy some glass floats at the aloha festival here in Phx, but we spent all of our money on lamps. $5 is a price I can handle. I'll have to check this weekend and see if they have them here.

I wish they had that when I worked for them back in '95 while in college.

I did happen to see some at Hobby Lobby (while in Lubbock, but I never checked the ones in my area), but I haven't lately. I thought they looked too cheaply made and wouldn't survive the 7 hour trip home.
Thanks for the tip, I'll run up to Arlington to scam a few!
Speaking of Hobby Lobby, I bought a kick ass "native mask" from them right after x-mas. When I went back (Again in Lubbock, haven't checked my area) they where all sold out.
Moral: buy it when you see it.

C

JD, do you have a SKU on those floats? I found the netting but not the glass. The clerk I spoke to said Az stores can take a while to get stock in.

theres a place here in columbus called old time pottery, i just found glass floats there (strings of three in netting, bigger ones and smaller ones) they're 2.99 & 3.99 each. great deal! nice looking too.

the tags are still on them at home, i'll look tonite!

j$

K
Kono posted on Thu, Apr 1, 2004 5:58 PM

On 2004-03-31 20:14, chisel slinger wrote:
theres a place here in columbus called old time pottery, i just found glass floats there (strings of three in netting, bigger ones and smaller ones) they're 2.99 & 3.99 each. great deal! nice looking too.

Oh damn. Now I gotta go to Old Time Pottery as well. Thanks for the tip!

On 2004-03-31 15:43, Cultjam wrote:
JD, do you have a SKU on those floats? I found the netting but not the glass. The clerk I spoke to said Az stores can take a while to get stock in.

lisa lisa, the info on the tag is

SKU 350279 (24753)
(bar code)
don mechanic enterprises, dallas, tx
made in china

velly nice! the netting could use some reworking if people are so inclined. j$

J

J$ - which Michaels? I checked the store in Towson with no results...help a local brother out here!

On 2004-04-02 17:35, johntiki wrote:
J$ - which Michaels? I checked the store in Towson with no results...help a local brother out here!

hey john-t,

she got them at the michaels in annapolis. is that accessible by you? if necessary she could get some for you and we could find a way to exchange at a mutually beneficial location ~ peaaaaace j$

E

Here's a pic of what the Michael's float looks like in the lovely blue hue. Second pic shows it right around the actual 5" size. Don't forget that Michael's almost always runs a 40% off coupon in the Sunday paper. This week they have an additional one for 50% off (good on Saturday only I think).

thanks exoticat that's groovin! j$

E

You're welcome. :) I checked on the Michael's coupons:

40% any one regular priced item all week
50% off one item FRIDAY only (8am - 1pm)
30% off your entire purchase SATURDAY only (6pm - 9pm)

hellooooo johntiki!?! :) ~j$

bump now that johntiki is -back in town-

Does anybody know who sells glass floats large enough to put a lightbulb inside? I tried lamp stores with no luck.

Blue Moose

You just need smaller lightbulbs...

I went to Michaels this afternoon, & besides floats & netting they had:

• Bags of shells & starfish (large net bags of craft shells, smaller poly-wrapped bags of finer shells),
  • 5' Tiki torches,
  • tabletop Tiki torches,
  • "Luau Party Bright Lights" a 10 light string with Tiki heads, grass skirts, palm trees & coconut drinks,
  • Tiki head & pineapple confetti,
  • glass bottle tabletop oil lamps tied with string (like a glass float, but bottle shaped) with tiny shells @ the knots,
  • decorative plates with palm trees that say "Hawaii, the World's Island Paradise,"
  • 6' lengths of bamboo.

Plus, less Tiki & more tacky:

• luminaria with cutouts in the shapes of parrots, flamingos, fish & drinks,
  • typical party store leis, plates, cups & napkins with tiki/tropical themes,
  • hanging paper lanterns with Hibiscus & flamingos,
  • plastic flower covered hair bands,
  • various ticky-tacky with images of palm trees or pineapples.

hey, while you all are scouting Target for tiki lava lites etc., swing by the garden department. Ours had blown glass spheres, about 7" in diameter, being sold CLEARANCE as "gazing balls." they are not opaque. i bought two - one could easily remove the rubber plug, remove the "mung" they have glued inside, and make some kickass lighting (adding netting, of course). just fyi - if you go ask for "gazing balls..." (insert joke here again) :)

Pages: 1 18 replies