Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Audio Software Help Needed - Please!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 14 replies

J

Here's the situation - I need to make a CD that has sound effects on one channel and sound cues that will activate a light display on the other - is there software available that will do this? All day long I've been reading the detailed descriptions of what various software is capable of but none seem to answer my question, or if they do, the "tech-talk" is over my head...plain and simple I want 2 seperate tracks on one CD at the same time, audible only on seperate channels!

Please help me out - Trying to figure out a way to accomplish this task is driving me insane!!!

TM1

Sounds to me like you need a digital/virtual recording studio, like pro-tools...

There are easier, very simple ones available at places like Mars music, Guitar center, sam ash, musician's friend..these are very simple 4 and 8 tracks, much easier to use then pro-tools

Basically, if I understand correct, you would need to input your sounds onto the computer via an interface (the most expensive item for home recording) then pan the sounds hard right and hard left..then burn your CD!

Mostly, when you buy the interface, they come with the recording software already.

T

This Macintosh OS X program may do it:

http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

It's $50.

J

On 2004-03-30 17:17, tiki mick wrote:

Basically, if I understand correct, you would need to input your sounds onto the computer via an interface (the most expensive item for home recording) then pan the sounds hard right and hard left..then burn your CD!

Is there any way to do this without spending a lot of money? Because I'm at work I can't experiment but, if I use the standard audio card input and plug in only one of the RCA plugs (say the right channel's cable) will it isolate all audio onto that one channel or will it automatically place sound on both left and right channels? I'm thinking about just abandoning the CD idea and using two CD players...but then I'll have a problem synching them up! Aggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Shareware Music Machine Dot Com

This site has loads of software for mixing and sound editing......

On 2004-03-30 17:17, tiki mick wrote:
Sounds to me like you need a digital/virtual recording studio, like pro-tools...

There are easier, very simple ones available at places like Mars music, Guitar center, sam ash, musician's friend..these are very simple 4 and 8 tracks, much easier to use then pro-tools

Mostly, when you buy the interface, they come with the recording software already.

I have been sold and working with Pro Tools for many years now. For a middle class quality of funds; P.T. is a great choice!

Unga

S

Should be easy. SoundForge does it. I would think any editor will do it. I am not sure what you are saying that is difficult. What editor do you have? What burning software do you have? Nero editor will do it. Am I understanding you? You want two entirely different tracks on the left and right channels?

PM me and I can maybe send you something that'll do it on a Windows PC.

J

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2005-03-05 20:08 ]

T

John I've got a copy of Soundforge and also Cubase VST, either one could do it. I will be leaving for FL for the the week on Friday. I also have a 4 channel audio in/out sound card. We could do something when I get back.

J

Turbogod - if I haven't figured it out by the time you get back I'll take you up on that offer!

J

Like an idiot I went to the Sound Forge website and noticed it was a Sony product and considering I own a Vaio, I searched the programs and discovered I already have an older version on my computer! I fooled around with it a bit and was able to make a stereo file audible only on one channel! Now, I need to figure out how to paste another audio clip onto the silent channel and I'm set... Turbogod any tips or suggestions?

S

Make that audio clip mono, then copy it and then paste in the one channel. If it won't do it by simply clicking and pasting, you will likely find a "Paste in one channel" option somewhere in there.

hey johntiki, how's this for another idear... instead of creating a whole disc with two separate but merely time-offset tracks, why don't you see if you can buy a delay (echo pedal? or something) at yer local music store. That way you could feed the audio out through that to your speakers, and allow the audio out from the cd goto your flashy machine... voila? or not? maybe ask some of the musicians on the board if such a thing might work... mahalo, j$

T

There should be a Paste SPecial \ MIX under the EDIT toolbar.

M

If all you want to do is have the lights come on and off to the sound, that's a piece of cake. I was in a cheesey rock band in the mid 80's and my guitarist rigged his microphone through a small box that turned on and off the lights to his voice...or any audio signal. If I'm uderstanding you correctly, it shouldn't matter if you have the audio on 2 mono tracks or stereo with that type of setup. You should look at stage lighting not audio. As far as audio programs go, you don't need to spend $100's on sequencers or editors like Cubase or ProTools if that's all you want to do. There are shareware programs out there that do it. Check Zdnet.com Even ProTools offers an 8-track FREE version at their site (www.digidesign.com).

Now, if you are planning on doing much more control than lights on & off, that will step up the gear needs and cost quite a bit. There are lighting systems that can be controlled via MIDI. That means you can use a sequencer software like Cubase or something cheaper and literally "record" your light show like you would record a keyboard into the sequencer via MIDI. Then you can playback the MIDI commands to the lighting rig. You will need to use a set of MIDI commands called "MIDI Show Control". Your lighting rig will also need to have MIDI input on the controller box and be able to recognize MIDI Show Control commands.

Pages: 1 14 replies