Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Detroit Tiki Extravaganza

Pages: 1 3 replies

OK, so the title of this topic is a little misleading, but here in the Great Tiki Vacuum of the midwest(MI)any Tiki is good Tiki. I've been hitting a different Chinese place every 3 weeks or so for the past year and I finally came across somethings to write home about (even if it is just a postcards worth)

First up, Canton Inn. I've driven past this place for years, and JUST noticed the peeling paint on the sign...

I was shocked and amazed that I missed the mugs on the sign for so long and I figured I'd better go inside. Interestingly enough, all of the lamps in this place (not shown, sorry) are the exact same lamp I did homework by throughout my childhood (my parents did the family room 100% Asian- my Mom still has all of the rattan furniture and said I can have it, but that's another topic)

Anyway, the food was better than most and you even get ice cream(?) with every meal. Best part...

the drinks are actually STRONG and tasty, unlike the pixie-stix flavored drinks at the Chinese place closest to my house. Gen-u-ine OoH & OMC mugs too.

OK, next up. Ping-On:
a full blown Chinese restaurant which must have been impressive when it first opened. Well, they serve their drinks in old school OoH mugs too. Some still in unused condition behind the counter for sale. Now here's the cool yet sad part: the lounge.

the pictures make this place look 10% cheezier than it really is. A very 70's vibe, but very cool with a horseshoe shaped bar. The sad part, the lights in the lounge are always off because no one goes in. People just show up for the restaurant or take out. When I asked to take a few pix, the owners' daughter (I think?) was more than happy to show me around (and the owner looked VERY pleased that someone was showing an interest.) Best part, she took my phone number because she said she has some catalogs (OoH, etc.) that I might like(!) Cool.

Well, that's my story (so far) BTW I didn't post this in the Locating forum because it's not really all that Tiki (but I'll take what I can get)

-Z

Sweet spot!
I am going to haveto hunt about and write of Tiki'ish spots here in the burgh, We've been to a couple... Can't remember where tho..

T

Nice find! Please post the locations in the Locating Tiki Forum, and perhaps on Critiki as well. Someday I hope to go to Detroit for the reopening of Chin Tiki (one can always hope) and I would like to visit these places too.

T

Ah yes! I had been tipped off to the existence of the Canton Inn ages ago but haven'ty been back to Detroit in a while to check it out. Great sleuthing!

Pages: 1 3 replies