Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Cool tiki toy

Pages: 1 6 replies

I'm no fan of Barbie, but I just couldn't resist. I just ordered this from Amazon.com. It's called "My Scene, Jammin in Jamaica, The Guava Gulch Tiki Lounge."

T

My 6 year old grandaughter McKenzie gave me one of these sets for my birthday last month. She just can't wait until WE set it up. I'm not allowed to play with it until she is there to supervise me.

Wonder if I can get Holden to make me some mini-mini Shag mugs....?

Trustar

Oops - that's actually been up quite a few times (sorry!). Here's one spot (you can do a "Barbie" or "Guava Gulch" search to get the rest):

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7779&forum=5&8

It is DANG cute, though, you're right!

T

Either Danny's copying toys, or.... someone's copying Chiki

8T

Maybe this is a dead issue since it's been a few years since this toy set from MATTEL came out. I didn't want to buy it back then for several reasons but mostly because I felt it may be an unauthorized usage of Tiki Farm's and my buddy Tiki Diablo's works. I searched but never could find comments from either Holden or Danny. Well today I found many of the parts to this set at a yard sale for a buck so I bought them. I do like the tikis but that is because they are a very very close to the Fantastic Marquesan style mug that Danny G designed. I have 4 different glaze colors of that mug because I think it is one of the very best mugs Tiki Farm has ever produced. Since I never saw a side by side comparison photo, I am posting one here. Now if this wasn't made with permission, it is a complete rip off!!! Does anyone know the answer??

i dunno....a marquesan tiki is a marquesan tiki.....they all look similiar. even danny's can be said to be copied from an original marq, now does that make it a rip off....?? ....sorry, i just don't see your point..

if you change a marq tiki too much, it no longer looks like a marq tiki.....i'd say in historical context neither party is in error here...

..marquesan tiki style may fall under public domain...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-13 17:19 ]

8T

On 2008-06-13 17:18, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

i dunno....a marquesan tiki is a marquesan tiki.....they all look similiar. even danny's can be said to be copied from an original marq, now does that make it a rip off....?? ....sorry, i just don't see your point..

My point is this isn't one that looks SIMILAR, it is nearly IDENTICAL. Mattel didn't mimmic Marquesan style as Danny may have done. They duplicated his rendition of that style. That's my point. If you don't agree, fine.

Pages: 1 6 replies