Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

missionarys downfall help needed

Pages: 1 18 replies

I have been working on perfecting this drink after re-discovering it at the tiki-ti,and I need some help.How do you mix yours?

TwoWheel,

What's the recipe your currently "perfecting"?

This is the recipe I published in TRT; TheJab gave me some help with it:

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2oz honey
1/2 oz peach liquer
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum
2 oz pineapple juice

pour over cracked ice, add fresh mint leaves.

Experiment with using a bit less PJ and a bit less honey.

...far from the strongest drink in the recipe book, but a sweet and tasty one for the wahines or the lightweights out there!

M
mbanu posted on Tue, Aug 2, 2005 4:36 PM

On 2004-03-31 10:26, tikibars wrote:
This is the recipe I published in TRT; TheJab gave me some help with it:

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2oz honey
1/2 oz peach liquer
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum
2 oz pineapple juice

pour over cracked ice, add fresh mint leaves.

For those who are more interested in a missionary's downfall that makes one fall down, I modified the recipe as such to good results:

1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. honey (honey syrup mixes easier if you have any)
1/2 oz. peach liqueur (the stronger 30-35% abv stuff)
1 oz. overproof white rum
1 oz. pineapple juice

Shake and strain into a glass full of cracked ice, garnish with mint leaves.

F

Has anyone tried the Missionary's Downfall recipe from the Grog Log? If you follow it exactly it turns out terrible. I don't remember the recipe I came up with (I'll post it when I dig it out) but I muddled mint leaves in it. It was tasty.

K
Kono posted on Tue, Aug 2, 2005 6:23 PM

On 2005-08-02 17:48, finkdaddy wrote:
Has anyone tried the Missionary's Downfall recipe from the Grog Log? If you follow it exactly it turns out terrible.

AMEN! :x

I hope you booze scholars can come up with an nice variation of the Grog Log recipe that we can all enjoy. I'm still picking half chewed mint flakes out of my teeth months after making a Grog Log MD. :(

F

On 2005-08-02 18:23, Kono wrote:

On 2005-08-02 17:48, finkdaddy wrote:
Has anyone tried the Missionary's Downfall recipe from the Grog Log? If you follow it exactly it turns out terrible.

AMEN! :x

I hope you booze scholars can come up with an nice variation of the Grog Log recipe that we can all enjoy. I'm still picking half chewed mint flakes out of my teeth months after making a Grog Log MD. :(

I do have one. I will post it tommorow. I muddled some mint and added some pineapple juice and I think I added some other minor changes. I like the idea of adding some honey. I will have to test it out!

I had one yesterday at the TikiRoom in Stockholm where i live. It was really nice and fresh tasting made with Havana Club,pineapple and limejuices,mint and Peach Brandy. Made in mixer so the mint is transformed to those lovley little green dots.

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-03-01 09:52 ]

T

I like to make quadruple batches of the recipe I used above, seal it in a glass bottle (no ice, natch), and let it steep for a few days before drinking. The mint infusion really permeates the drink, and the other ingredients lock together brilliantly.

Oh, and BTW, Kono asked (um, several years ago) if anyone had a better recipe than Jeff Berry's... at the risk of being both obvious and redundant, I'd like to ask him to try the one that I posted a few posts above his comment. Berry's does have WAY too much lime in it, and subbing the honey for the sugar syrup that Berry calls for makes a world of difference.

XM

On 2008-03-01 09:50, Little fragrant Tiare wrote:
I had one yesterday at the TikiRoom in Stockholm where i live. It was really nice and fresh tasting made with Havana Club,pineapple and limejuices,mint and Peach Brandy. Made in mixer so the mint is transformed to those lovley little green dots.

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-03-01 09:52 ]

I must say the ones at Tiki Ti is much better. I really would like their recipe. I think that the one at TikiRoom is the one from Grog Log.

L

Isn't it just a matter of blending time? When it says blend in the Grog Log it means blend for a looong time, I think. Or blend until slushy...

Have never had the chance to visit Tiki Ti...so i cannot compare.. :drink:

But i didn`t need to pick any mint from between my teeths..i believe the one i had was blended for a long time because it was really nice.

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-04-17 14:21 ]

XM

The Missionarys Downfall at Tiki ti is not blended at al. I think they use dark rhum and maby I tasted wanilla.

D

Whoa, those recipes are completly different from what you get at the Tiki Ti. I do not know exactly what is in a Missionary's Downfall at the Tiki Ti, but I can tell you it is very similar to a mojito. It deviates in that they use lemons AND lime juice and dark rum. I think they also put curacao or triple sec.

T

On 2008-04-16 18:04, LeChuck wrote:
Isn't it just a matter of blending time? When it says blend in the Grog Log it means blend for a looong time, I think. Or blend until slushy...

Some more detailed tips...

First, microwave the honey for a few seconds to soften it up and make it more runny and liquid.

Blend the ingredients WITHOUT ice until the honey is sufficiently integrated and the mint leaves are chopped up really finely.

THEN, do a quick second blend with crushed ice.

...far from the strongest drink in the recipe book, but a sweet and tasty one for the wahines or the lightweights out there!

Sorry to sway from the topic...

The wahines? What the deuce? I think you mean to say: 'the non-tikiphiles, chicks whos' panties I'm trying to remove, or the lightweights out there'

Several of us wahines can knock back the strong beverages with the best of the blokes. :wink:

On 2008-05-07 12:18, Tikiwahine wrote:
'the non-tikiphiles, chicks whos' panties I'm trying to remove'

Hahaha! That one was BRILLIANT!

On 2008-05-07 12:18, Tikiwahine wrote:

Several of us wahines can knock back the strong beverages with the best of the blokes. :wink:

Believe me...we can.

I know this thread is old, but it is the first result if you Google "Missionary's Downfall Recipe."

I thought you guys might find it interesting that in Tiki+ (the iPhone app which is basically a preview of "Beachbum Berry Remixed"), the Bum now uses honey mix in place of sugar syrup. Also, the proportions are now exactly the same as the ones called out by "tikidrinks" (although he still calls for the blending of mint leaves in there).

I hope this doesn't ruin the surprise for anyone, but I found it interesting. =)

Pages: 1 18 replies