Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Rush (The Canadian Power Trio) Goes Tiki

Pages: 1 33 replies

For a rather amusing diversion:

http://www.rush.com then click on "THE BAND" then click on "ALEX" then click on one of the episodes of "BIG AL'S TIKI BAR"

Made me smile!

-Weird Unc

I'm gonna see them at the Shoeline in July!

TM1

RUSH!!!!

One of the few rock bands that matter!!!!

I love those guys and have seen them 13 times!!!!

I have never seen them and never will, they sound like they have their balls in a vise.

T

I have to admit Rush being one of my guilty pleasures too...

The funniest thing ever was that episode of King Of The Hill where they were playing "The Trees" in that D & D geeks basement....

By-Tor!

DZ

RUSH - definitely one of my all-time favorite bands! I'd seen 'em on every tour from Permanent Waves in 1980 to Test For Echo in 1997, only missing their most recent Vapor Trails tour (however, it is very well documented on their "Rush in Rio" dvd). The dvd comes with a disc of just 'behind the scenes stuff' and after seeing Alex Lifeson's offstage antics, it's not surprising that his "Big Al's Tiki Bar" is so funny!

It's good to know I'm not the only Rush fan on TC: every time TikiHula comes down to visit, we seem to gift one another with some sort of Rush item. The last time he was down, I gave him a copy of Neil Peart's 'A Work In Progress' vhs, and he gave me a copy of 'Exit... Stage Left' on dvd.

They're actually playing the Verizon Amphitheatre this summer on July 14 - Bastille Day! (only a hardcore fan would know the significance...) I don't have tix yet - anybody up for it?

T

I'll be seeing them here in Georgia on August 1st.

All I can say is watch the end scene of SLC PUNK... Sums it up pretty much for me.
TG

I
Iolani posted on Thu, Apr 1, 2004 8:26 AM

On 2004-03-31 21:26, TikiGardener wrote:
All I can say is watch the end scene of SLC PUNK... Sums it up pretty much for me.
TG

LOL. I came into this thread to specifically post what you just said. "Rush is very talented. Their music is very complex!" LOL.

That's F*cked up, Y'all!

Rush was the first band I ever saw in concert (at the Mid Hudson Civic Center) Front row seats. I think it was the "2112" tour. The guy next to me was so stoned he kept fading and sliding off the chair onto the floor. His friends would then pick him up by the arms and legs and carry him outside. About 15 minutes later he'd saunter back in and it would start over. This happened about 3 times.

PS: Geddy Lee is the ugliest Man in Rock and Roll.

On 2004-03-31 15:31, Tangaroa wrote:
I have to admit Rush being one of my guilty pleasures too...

By-Tor!

And the snow dog

First let me say it is not PJ writing this. (She insisted I let you all know that she agrees with JungleTrader.)

Her kane, on the other hand, that would be me, truly thinks it's time to Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand.

T

Frank, would you get that woman on the computer already! Enough with the silent treatment!

She says, and I quote, "you have a lot of nerve talking about the silent treatment, when you didn't let me know you were going to be in Louisiana, and a mere 2 hours away in Lafayette."

Email response, Jane, let's not hijack this thread. :)

Did I mention I liked Rush.

UB

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice!"

A
Artiki posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2004 2:07 PM

My birthday is the 21st of December and for a while I wanted 21-12 tattooed across my stomach, partly to denote by birth but also as a reference to Rush. Unfortunately, you Americans wouldn't have understood it as you put the month first, don't you? 12-21 simply wouldn't have worked....

Rush Rocks! I've seen them in concert more times than I would like to admit being born and raised in Toronto. After my lobotomy I decided to move to California and open an art gallery and play lots of hockey (go figure).

One of my friends (a former drummer with one of the useless bands I sang/played in when I lived in Toronto) was one of the engineers on their live albums. Rick was also a pretty damned good hockey player as well.

The Tiki video for Alex Lifeson was pretty funny and I could go on, however, THIS FEELING INSIDE ME SAYS IT'S TIME I WAS GONE...

T

I am glad that you put 'The Canadian Power Trio' in the title of the thread, because hey, RUSH LIMBAUGH going tiki would be just plain weird.

I saw them in concert a couple times when I was younger however I can't stand to listen to them anymore since my wahine said that Geddy Lee sounds like one of the chipmunks. Now ever time I hear them that's what I hear. I will say though that Neil Peart is my favorite drummer of all time!

In part due to this thread I was forced to sit through "Rush in Rio".(To be fair, later material is not as repellant to me as earlier.) Geddy Lee's bass rendition of "Girl from Ipanema" was amusing. Is it coincidence that the dragon on the cover of that DVD looks like the one in the Edmonton Mall?

So, anybody see their tour this year? I heard that Alex's court date (New Year's Eve brawl with police) has been pushed back so they can tour Europe. Those rock 'n rollers!
"If ukes choose not to decide, ukes still have made a choice."

-By Tor & The Snow Grogg

D

UngaBunga,I was going to put that gem on this thread,but you beat me to it!One of the best lines in rock.

On 2004-08-14 13:21, docwoods wrote:
One of the best lines in rock.

Agreed

The funniest thing ever was that episode of King Of The Hill where they were playing "The Trees" in that D & D geeks basement....

Neil Pert is/was a huge tolkein fan, and his love of the books appears in many rush songs. My favorite being "the necromancer". But I'm a dork. So there you go. I could admit more...but...I'll just end by saying that Neil Pert was a very influential percussionist for me.

M

ki, thanks for posting this. Both movies are hilarious.

I'm also a RUSH fan. There is no doubt to me that they are one of the most talented bands ever. But, has anyone else noticed that RUSH seems to be much more popular with men than women?

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-08-23 13:44 ]

TM1

That's easy to answer!!!

No love songs except maybe entre nous and closer to the heart!!!

Everything else is about, well, Tolkein or ayn rand!!

RUSH is probably my favorite rock band of all time..but like everyone else, I have a real problem with geddy's vocals....

in the old days, they just were not pleasant to listen to...far too high, and an "uncomfortable" sounding vibrato.....

By the later albums, the vocals were starting to sound better..but by then, the music had lost it's edge.......

Oh well, they still rock, and geddy is the MAN on bass!

M

On 2004-08-23 16:03, tiki mick wrote:
That's easy to answer!!!

No love songs except maybe entre nous and closer to the heart!!!

Everything else is about, well, Tolkein or ayn rand!!

Very valid points Mick. Just yesterday my wife and I were driving when we heard "The Spirit Of Radio". I posed the question to her why most women don't like RUSH and her response was, "Because his high pitched voice is annoying".

Fair 'nuff, I thought as I changed the station only to find " Tom Sawyer" playing on a different station. The RUSH gods were obviously listening in.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-08-23 17:19 ]

On 2004-08-23 13:20, MachTiki wrote:
But, has anyone else noticed that RUSH seems to be much more popular with men than women?

It makes me wonder what kind of groupies they get...

M

:o

On 2004-03-31 16:30, Doctor Z wrote:
RUSH - definitely one of my all-time favorite bands! I'd seen 'em on every tour from Permanent Waves in 1980 to Test For Echo in 1997, only missing their most recent Vapor Trails tour (however, it is very well documented on their "Rush in Rio" dvd).

I just watched "Rush In Rio"and it was incredible concert.
Definitely rent this DVD.

D

There's some cool stuff of Rush on YouTube.com

Check this one out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFIexFR3XEk&search=Rush%20anthem

After 'Moving Pictures' those guys lost me. I just thought they started sucking pretty hard after that album. Alot of their early stuff is pretty rockin though. Just recently I've actually renewed my interest in Rush after many, many years of totally shutting them out and can appreciate them again...but like I said, early stuff only. It's even hard to admit to most of my friends that I am actually somewhat of a Rush fan, but I can understand why they're disliked. Let's face it, Geddy's voice isn't for everyone, in fact if it was an octave or so higher, it would definitely take me over the threshold of unlistenability.

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2006-05-02 21:33 ]

On 2004-04-07 09:13, FLOUNDERart wrote:
I saw them in concert a couple times when I was younger however I can't stand to listen to them anymore since my wahine said that Geddy Lee sounds like one of the chipmunks. Now ever time I hear them that's what I hear.

I hear you. I wish you could buy instrumental versions of their music. His voice puts me off---waaaaaay off.

BM

I just remember this letter in CREEM from the 80s about Rush; the gist of it was some dude was sitting in front of MTV watching videos when his bro came in & commented "Dude, that is the UGLIEST chick singer I've ever seen" and the guy replys,
"Thats no chick-----thats GEDDY LEE !"

hence the reason its REAL HARD for me to like Rush---although I DID own that double live LP from the 70s....IN THE 70S.

J

Rush is releasing a new album on May 1st. Why did I even post that here?? One of the tracks is called "Spindrift". Is it about the drink? I Doubt it. But hey there's at least another, rather loose I may say, Tiki connection to Rush.

Ok so who's going to see them this summer? Pappy - I'll pick you up some Geddy-cancellation headphones and you can come along to the Mohegan show in CT.

T

THE SPIRIT OF RADIO is the greatest pop song ever.

Pages: 1 33 replies