Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Has Anyone Seen These Before?

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hey Everyone,
I just picked up these great salt and pepper shakers. The bottom reads "The Islands, Pheonix Arizona".
I have never seen this design used anywhere else before and I think that the 2Tone paint job is pretty unique.
Does anyone have any info on these babys?
Aloha,
:tiki:

M

I've only seen that set one other time. A set exactly like yours from The Islands sold on eBay about a year ago for $51.00.

Also,very recently I noticed another very similar set with a slighly different glaze and marked Ren Clark's Polynesian Village sold for a very hefty sum. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3903320354&category=29460

By the way, do those tikis in your photo have 20 toes?

ModMana :drink:

[ Edited by: ModMana on 2004-04-02 00:07 ]

C

Those are wicked. Fatuhiva must have many.

C

Those are wicked. Fatuhiva must have many.

On 2004-04-02 00:06, ModMana wrote:
Also,very recently I noticed another very similar set with a slighly different glaze and marked Ren Clark's Polynesian Village ...

Aha, yah! That makes sense... I was surprised that they did not look like the logo Tikis from the Islands in Phoenix (BOT p. 155, and p.42), but more like the one from the Samoan Village, also in Phoenix (BOT p.156).
But they are closest to Milan Guanko's Tiki at Ren Clark's place (BOT p.44), note the rendering AND the statue in the brochure photo next to "Polynesian Village."
They probably addaed the ornamentation to these to make them look different.

those are wicked bad ass! definitely hang on to those babies.

yow, tasty score!

Thanks for the info BigBro, I'll check those pages...
ModMana, It does look like the little fellas have 20 toes. I'm not sure if that is some symbol which is supposed to bring the owner super fertility powers and command over all beverages mixed or if it is just a little quirk in the detailing around the edge.
Either way I'm pretty stoked on the recent addition. They really stand out against all of the other brown and green mugs in the collection.
Aloha,
:tiki:

F

Why yesssssss I dooooooooo

thoseare actually my fave S/P's of all time.. among many reasons,becuase the salt is WHITE and the pepper is BLACK. (this set is a bit grey/black, but most sets are pretty black)

sven, I noticed the same thing- the tiki looks like the one from the samoan village, NOT the islands logo-tiki. weird.

It also does look like a milan guanko tiki- and is very close to the Ren Clark's S&P, but has slight differences..

Pages: 1 8 replies