Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Long Wong's Tempe

Pages: 1 5 replies

C

Long Wongs in Tempe closed forever tonight. Wongs was the heart and soul of the the fledgling Phoenix music scene in the early 90s. The best part of my 20's were spent there listening to the Gin Blossoms, Dead Hot Workshop, and others. Recently though, the pipes became the most memorable and apparently incurable feature, emitting a smell that assaults even those outside the building.

There will be a goodbye bash on Saturday with many bands who were staples of this tiny, odorous, wonderful live music venue.

Saturday's lineup will include Dead Hot, the Pistoleros, Piersons, Flathead, Truckers on Speed, Zen Lunatics. I forget the rest.

Long live Elvis the Cat!

This is sad news, indeed. I was hoping that the many phone calls and e-mails I received about this yesterday were all part of an elaborate April Fools Day hoax. On the "Bio" page of our Maikai Gents website you'll see mention of a band called The El Guapos. Well, Long Wong's was a regular stage for these funsters back in the mid-1990's. What a great place. Every time I've been back there, I've run into folks I know or who recognized me from those wacky desert days and nights, even now almost ten years later. So many fond recollections of "hot wings, cold beer and live music." Long live the memory of Wong's and Elvis The Cat Delmonte!

-Iuka Grogg: Long Wong's Devotee

Sway your hula hips over to http://www.mkgents.com

[ Edited by: Iuka Grogg on 2004-04-02 11:07 ]

Very sad to see this place closing. I heard about it 6 months ago, but didn't realize it was this weekend. To make the pain a little easier they just opened up another one only a mile from my work on Rural and Ray in Tempe.

T

I worked at wongs for awhile and made some great friends i have lost touch with..Anyone out there no how i can find Jason Bell,Bo,alicia, kayla, etc plz drop me a line.
Thx Todd.

J
john posted on Wed, May 25, 2005 11:56 AM

On 2004-04-02 12:13, vwtikigirl wrote:
Very sad to see this place closing. I heard about it 6 months ago, but didn't realize it was this weekend. To make the pain a little easier they just opened up another one only a mile from my work on Rural and Ray in Tempe.

wow, peeps from my hood
i play hockey at ray and i-10

Yup. We keep losing more cool stuff. Long Wongs was fun. I spent a lot of time there in the early 90's. And have enjoyed a beer off and on there since.

I even have an Elvis the Cat Valentine that my boyfriend bought from Elivs on V-day at Long Wong's. It is in one of my scrap books.

Pages: 1 5 replies