Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Kill Bill 2

Pages: 1 16 replies

I

(I will attempt not to spoil any of the film for you .. or tell you any real details at all about the film)

I was fortunate to be able to see a preview screening of Kill Bill 2 last night. What a great film - I thought it was way better than Kill Bill 1 (and I loved Kill Bill 1), and I'm even debating on whether it is better than Pulp Fiction.

Great soundtrack
Great character development
Great fight scenes
Great verbal monologues
in other words, a great Tarantino film

And David Carradine is simply awesome. If Pulp Fiction was able to revive John Travota's career, then by comparison Carradine should be elected President by 2008.

[the previous statement may be biased because I was a big fan of the Kung Fu TV series]

Kill Bill 2 on its own is a very complete film. If you haven't seen Kill Bill 1, you can still see Kill Bill 2 and have a good overall sense of what is going on.

Go see it, thats about all I can say.

Vern

T

Vern

"Better then Pulp Fiction"??"That's a pretty bold statement"

As a big QT fan I thought KB1 was great (waiting for the DVD to come out in the next week or so). Can't wait until the 16th to see the follow-up.

By the way, I heard that the KB1 DVD will not have anything extra on it, just the plain (if you can say that about any Tarantino movie). The say they are waiting for the combo 1 & 2 DVD release to unleash any & all behind the scenes goodies.

Trustar

QT is da man! Although I have not seen anything since Pulp Friction, that dudes interviews are the TOP! I admire and can relate to his hand gestures. It's like a sign language to us artist freaks! Maybe one of these days I'll stop working for a week and rent everything he's done since. I need to catch up. By the way, can any of you give me a list of Post Pulp to now? Many Mahalos!

i also cannot wait for kb 2. i even ordered the yellow onitsuka tigers that uma wears in the movie. i also am waiting for quentin's next film called magnificent bastards. it takes place in wwII, a war movie.

Thanks vern tiki & trustar!

I have been itching to see Kill Bill 2 since I walked out of the theatre after the first one!

I was all ready to buy #1, but if there are no extras until the DVD set comes out, I'll definitely wait.

Thanks again!

Kill Bill 2 is at the top of my must see list. I went up to my local video store last Saturday nite cruizin' for videos and in a QT frenzy got the Jackie Brown DVD. Damn, I forgot how much I love that movie. Of course it doesn't hurt that I'm a big Pam Grier fan (also had to get Foxy Brown, Sheba Baby & Coffy).

D

I just saw 'Kill Bill Vol. 1' on DVD tonight. And I thought the same thing I always think about Tarantino; he's a great director who knows how to make a film look very good. He is a master of stylization and art direction, and he knows how to steal from the other film genres he was a fan of and put them in the world of his own films.

What REALLY, REALLY bothers me about Tarantino, is that his style outweighs his content. Although he does attempt to give his characters and stories their own lives, he's more interested in making violence look 'really cool and trendy' and that, for lack of a better term, just pisses me off.
At the end of 'Kill Bill Vol. 1" I was like 'what the hell did I just watch?'. 10 minutes of character and story and 90 minutes of STYLISH VIOLENCE. Yeah, I did like the whole female ass-kicker thing, but making violence look so damn cool is to me, and pardon me if I sound like some kind of moralist (hey..I love Russ Meyer), is a very dangerous thing. It's just bad, and perpetuates a world of folks, mostly kids of the Columbine/Kleibold & Harris variety, who will continue to think violence is really cool and try to imitate it in their own lives.

I thought the same thing about 'Pulp Fiction' and I have not seen it again since I saw it for the first time 10 years ago. I do remember liking 'Jackie Brown' and thought there was something more substantial going on there than just trendy cinematic violence. I have not seen 'Resevoir Dogs', but I probably will see 'KB Vol.2'. Hopefully there will be more of a story there, otherwise Tarantino should just go have cocktails with Oliver Stone and call it a day. Speaking of Oliver Stone...I threw in the towel with his films after seeing 'Natural Born Killers'. That film almost beat out 'The Doors' as the most ridiculous, self-indulgent film of all time.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-04-14 07:46 ]

I think 'Resevoir Dogs' is his best film, with pulp fiction a close second. donhonyc, i think you will like Resevoir Dogs, rent it.

Although I did enjoy Kill Bill 1, I will agree with donhonyc that I thought there was too much emphasis on the stylized violence. My key memories of that film were of certain of the more violent scenes.

I walked into Kill Bill 2 expecting more of the same - and came out very pleasantly surprised. There are still some memorable scenes of violence, but the emphasis is more on character development, and building the tension between certain of these characters. I walked out thinking more along the lines of 'Why did this person change their behavior and way of life' rather than 'Wow, what an inventive way of portraying someone being killed.'

Because there are fewer characters and storylines than in Pulp Fiction or KB1, it is easier to build a much more cohesive and solid story - it all gels together very well.

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev on 2004-04-14 11:33 ]

I finally watched 'Reservoir Dogs' a few weeks ago because I wanted to see Kill Bill. Jay (my husband and movie buff) suggested I watch 'Reservoir Dogs' first. I've seen many a violent movies before but I have to admit the ear thing was crazy and somewhat freaked me out! I don't think I've ever been so squeamish in my life. All in all it was worth seeing.

Now I had decided not to watch ‘Kill Bill’ after seeing ‘Reservoir Dogs’ but on conclusion of the previews and finding out who Bill is I must watch it because as a geeky teen every Sunday night I watched Kung Fu the Legend Continues. Yes yes laugh as much as you want but I was totally into Kung Fu as a teenager and at that time this silly TV show was all I could get my hands on. So violence or not we’re headed to the theatre to see Kill Bill 2, I’ll have to rent Kill Bill 1.

This thing about Kill Bill is that the violence and blood tend to be more "silly" than anything.(this is a good thing) Over the top.

Ever see Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Remember the black knight scene with the appendages being chopped off? The silly spurting blood? It's like that. Silly. Fun.

I guess I go to most movies to be entertained, not to pick them apart with comments like "that was SO fake! You could TOTALLY see the wires holding him up!" It all depends on the movie, if they're trying to be all serious and realistic, I will probably be much more picky.

I liked it, but then again The Never Ending Story was my favorite movie for a looong time.

Violence is golden.

Anyway, yeah, I am counting the hours.

Hate to rain on the blood parade, but I think Tarantino takes a serious, as opposed to a 'silly' angle on the way he serves up violence. Herschel Gordon Lewis, Russ Meyer, and maybe even David Lynch have a less serious, satirical angle on their violence that's actually entertaining rather than disturbing.To his credit Tarantino was on target with including Japanese style anime in 'Kill Bill Vol. 1". In fact 'Kill Bill' could have been done entirely as an anime flick.

He MUST have a good sense of humor, he was a judge on American Idol last night! :wink:

D

Either he has a good sense of humor OR he's just promoting his new film on a highly popular TV show.

Ya, I'll definitely agree with you on that. The movie opens tomorrow night?

I didn't watch the whole thing, but he seemed to be having wayyy to much fun :)

Without getting into "spoilers" and whatnot, my initial thoughts:

CONS: It went by seemingly fast for two hours. Also, much more dialogue and much less bloodshed.

PROS: That dialogue is very special. Bill says things to that woman -almost word for word- that I have said, myself, to someone in the past year. I nearly wept. Also, Darryl Hannah is still relatively bone-inducing for being grandmother-aged now and all.

Awesome within awesome.

Pages: 1 16 replies