Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: Questions :0) I'm a new girl!

Pages: 1 9 replies

K

I have a tiki (well 2) listed on ebay now. It's not normally my type of thing ( I sell 80's clothes) but I bought several at a sale in Chattanooga, Tennesee a year ago and have sold the other ones. I think one was what they call a scorpion bowl but I did not know that at the time and did not put it in my listing (I wish I had known)and the other was black and ugly but did well...I had decided not to list these because they were so weird looking and look like they have paint all over them...my questions to ask you kissing up experts....are below...this way I will be able to answer the 50 emails that I have gotten...hugs and thanks

1. Is this blue paint meant to be there or did someone paint it?

2)What year were these made?

Here is the link...I hope

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3906072988&category=29460&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Ugh I prolly' did this wrong. I'm not good with proper chatting (or improper for that matter)

T

Suffering Bastard Good... Blue Paint Bad.

K

I understand blue paint bad (lol figures) What is suffering bastard in layman terms? Other than my husband of course!

S

The original Suffering Bastard mugs usually go for $150 or so on Ebay. No telling what these will do, but since it is 2 and maybe they can be carefully cleaned, they may do well. These are mugs that were used in Trader Vic's (duh), and I can't tell you the dates. I assume, in the 60s.

K

Thanks to both of you :0)

"They are shaped like some kind of sick or aggravated man - kind of sad looking."

HA! I'd say that about as close to saying "suffering bastard" as you can get! Good description, Kimberly! :)

Welcome aboard Kimberly,
As I understand it, the "Suffering Bastard" mugs originally came as a set of 4 via mail order from Trader Vics and were known as "Mai Tai Joe". I also beleive that they were designed by Trader Vic in the early 40s. Can someone back this up?
Aloha,
:tiki:

K

Thanks for your help...I should have probably added suffering bastard (I laugh everytime I see that) to the description but I am SO happy with the price it's at now so I am going to leave it alone...I just can't thank you great folks here at Tiki Central enough....I've been reading a lot of posts and starting to get interested in tiki myself! Now...off to find a Georgia Bulldogs Forum to promote my other items...just kidding {{{hugs}}} Kimberly

Aaah, Lordie, I just got AWAY from the damn Bulldawgs! That was the BEST part about leaving Athens!!!

(But plug away on your bulldogs, Kimberly.)

(Just make it FAR FAR from Tiki Central!!!)

(Stick around with the tiki stuff and questions, though :) )
F

K

I apoligize for being so shameless....my only hope is that the tiki gods can forgive me. {{sigh}}

Pages: 1 9 replies