Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

long straws

Pages: 1 24 replies

P

Hey out there fellow tikiheads. Does anyone know of a supplier for the long straws required for sharing drinks from volcano bowls, scorpion bowls, etc.?

Sho Nuff!! Here ya go!

http://www.dynastywholesale.com/page-6.html

Long live Tiki!
...and welcome to the group.

Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks - Lin Yutang

[ Edited by: Dimethios on 2004-04-03 10:40 ]

A related question ... does anyone know where to find short straws, the kind used for drinking out of Munktiki skull mugs?

Have sissors will travel?

I looked but no avail. Shortest I could find is 9". See the link in my other post and find something you like and then just trim them to size.

On 2004-04-03 09:17, Pyrate13 wrote:
Hey out there fellow tikiheads. Does anyone know of a supplier for the long straws required for sharing drinks from volcano bowls, scorpion bowls, etc.?

I like Bongs' idea (I think it was his) of helping yourself to 7-11 extra-long Slurpee straws. Yoink!

-Z

Yow, $40 for 3000 straws! Man that's a lotta straws.
I've been grabbing handfulls of the long Frappalattemochachino straws from Starbucks. the length is pretty good, the diameter is big for drinking and they're a festive green!
Aloha
:tiki:

I had problems trying to find long straws too. I drink a fair bit but 3000 straws!

Does anybody wanna get together and split a batch and the cost?

P

Thanks!
3000 straws should last awhile.

T

Go to 7-11 and grab a handful of Slurpee straws.

Pyrate13 wrote:
Does anyone know of a supplier for the long straws required for sharing drinks...

Aloha Pyrate13 and Welcome to TC!

Here is some previous chatter about long straws and suppliers:

Large caliber straws, 5/10/02

Where can I find long straws?, 6/12/03

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-04-05 10:05 ]

M

I WISH i had a LONG straw!!--instead, i only have half a Slim Jim!!! :)

Cutting the straws, now that is a great idea. I'm feeling like a real moron for not thinking of that myself. We've been trying to drink out of regular straws for quite a while now and not one of us has thought to cut them.

S

Making preparations for the Swank Pad luau next month and I looked all over the web for long straws. Then I thought "Ebay!" and sure enough, there is a seller of 500 20 inch straws for $9.99. That's a good deal and now everyone can share in the bowls of grog laid out before them, and not catch fire from the volcanos and steal sips of their neighbor's beverages too!

TP

I found some xtra long 18" straws at: http://www.offthedeepend.com

$3.95 for 100

Aloha!

M
Moki posted on Tue, Jun 27, 2006 1:39 PM

Don't forget about our own Bosko!!
He has lots of stuff and the long straws are on sale for $9.50 for 200.

Bosko's Site

Yep I get mine at 7-11, they look at me weird but if you grab a couple each time you head in and throw em in your pocket it adds up quick!

Just like Bong said

S

On 2006-06-27 13:08, Tiki Pop wrote:
I found some xtra long 18" straws at: http://www.offthedeepend.com

$3.95 for 100

Aloha!

Yeah, but that doesn't make their minimum order and I could not find anything else on all their sites I wanted. Go for it. Get 500. For $9.99, that's a way better deal than theirs...

G

Go to the Mai Kai and spend a hundred bucks on a Mystery Bowl. They'll give you a handful of long straws for free! Such a deal.

here is a link to the place i use:

http://www.instawares.com/Super-Giant-Luau-Straw-20.04-0339.0.7.htm?sessionID=13219D526411AB6AA80110

i like these cause they are 20" and seem to work better if you are sitting at a table.

S

Still more expensive than the Ebay seller.

Here is a site that sells them in packs of 100.

http://www.offthedeepend.com

The the per unit price is a little higher than other wholesalers but you don't have to buy 3000 at a time either!

If you want reusable ones check out places that sell products for people with disabilities. People who can't hold a cup often use long straws.

-LaRueAu Jeff

Speaking of straws....does anyone know where I can get glass straws?? We came up with a new drink for our lava lounge and of course it involves some flames....thought having a long glass straw would be better than having a little plastic one melt into a wad of goo on the side of the glass.

Might have to have guests sign a waiver to drink one.

LavaLounger

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Aug 1, 2006 6:44 AM

You could use something from the chemistry lab. It might be heat resistent as well. But, I would think this all sounds like a bad idea. The straws would be expensive and likely to break.

I agree with Swanky.
Pyrex pipets would meet your needs, but broken glass in a beverage would make one bad garnish.

-T.J.

No doubt that ground glass bits would be a poor garnish for a volcano drink. Which is why I'm not so sure a lab pipette would be stout enough.

I recall having an irish coffee someplace in Chicago about 35-40 years ago, and there was a glass "straw" to sip the hot coffee. It was thick glass and very stout and I believe there was a thicker ring about an inch from the end, sort of like a handle or a heat exchanger?? I dunno. Perhaps they had lawsuits so they don't exist anymore.

Speaking of glass, I've gotten some gifts are glass drink stirrers! Got some little palm trees that are my personal favorites. The top decorations seem very fragile though and I haven't used them for that reason. Someone would end up poking their eye out, or dropping them on the bar and glass palm fronds would go everywhere. Too dangerous when mixed with rum drinks.

Here's a pix of my Ukulele Lemonade (virgin drink) with the stirrer in it. (I like photographing my drink concoctions...duh....I need a life)

LavaLounger

Pages: 1 24 replies