Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

GUSTAV TENGGREN TIKI

Pages: 1 8 replies

K

this is out of a giant golden book about pirates...pretty cool but not the most PC of tiki depictions....i LOVE it!

T

Tenggren rules. Just his Pinocchio work alone is incredible.....

Miles - do you know how much Golden Book art he's done?

M
Mganga posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2004 4:49 PM

Tenggren's work is amazing and is seriously underrated. I've always preferred his work over Mary Blair's, but I might be alone in that belief.

K
kooche posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2004 5:11 PM

Chris...his stuff is far too abundant to accurately quantify...he's done more than the provensens by FAR! his books predate them by a mile too...i could be wront but i think he did the very first GB "lil black sambo" which is totally beautiful...i still don't own that one...he has TONS of great books...i just recieved one today in the mail...Mother Goose...it is a WEIRD one...all the better!!! if you do a search on ebay you'll see the vast amounts of work he's done...love that guy! you'd flip twice for this pirate book if you don't already have it man

as far as his stuff bein underrated i agree %100...he was quite a painter and his earlier stuff looks more like woodcuts than anything else...diverse-o-tronic!!!

M
Mganga posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2004 7:21 PM

[ Edited by: Mganga on 2004-05-17 17:44 ]

K
kooche posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2004 8:31 PM

my confusion is in regard to which book was the FIRST golden book....i think that LBS was it...there was never a question in my mind as to if he did that book....it is SO signature to his style...BEAUTIFUL!!!

he is pretty 30s when you really examine his stuff...all wet into wet water based stuff....no computer can simulate that no matter who uses it! that'll change as artists take the place of program developers i believe...in time!

M
Mganga posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2004 9:10 PM

We could use more Tenggren today... so many childrens' books these days have no soul. Publishers seem to favor computer-generated work... I find it so uninteresting.

M
Mganga posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2004 9:14 PM

We could use more Tenggren today... so many childrens' books these days have no soul. Publishers seem to favor computer-generated work... I find it so uninteresting.

K
kooche posted on Sun, Apr 4, 2004 1:54 PM

one'd THINK the publishers would be the one's leading the preservation of great traditions in art based on their extensive love and knowledge of the history of illustrated children's literature...SO not the case! any shit graphic with a sound menu tacked on to it is a sure fire sale based on the success of interactive learning today...gross!

illustration work does pay well when it finds you though...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Griffiths%2C%20Andy/002-2911433-3320857

Pages: 1 8 replies