Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vics Waikiki pics

Pages: 1 8 replies

C
croe67 posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2004 3:15 PM

We were in Hawaii in Feb for vacation & happened upon the old Trader Vics while a maintenance guy had the doors open. & I got him to let me go inside a little bit to see how sad it looks today - storing XMas decorations, maintenance equipment, etc. I got a few pictures below - which aren't great - I apologise for the bluriness - I guess my new digital camera needs a more powerful flash. Anyway - for those who are curious, check out these below:

Couldn't believe it when I saw the door open!

I am guessing this may have been a bar or a fireplace - can't tell with the big cabinet in front of it

And a dartboard - but you can still see some of the tapacloth above

& one of the TVs chairs now serving as a stand for a boombox....

& some masks from Trader Vics - somehow I think the eagle is a newer addition, however :)

& where the tree grows through the building & some more tapacloth

With as much intact that there is, it sure would be great if someone would buy it & restore it to it's former Tiki-glory. It's sad to see the remnants of what was, knowing that it could be that great again - if the wrecking ball doesn't do away with it completely with the new plans for the Int'l Marketplace area.

:drink:

Good persuasion skills.

Did I read somewhere that Trader Vics was going to be reopened in Waikiki?

C
croe67 posted on Wed, Apr 7, 2004 9:32 PM

Yep - I read the same thing - the relative that is now running the Trader Vics restaurants said they would be re-opening in Waikiki. I think that was a year or so ago & I haven't heard anything since.

Anyone else hear any updates on TV Waikiki opening again??

:drink:

http://articles.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_38_37/ai_108279012

"Sven Koch, American operations vice president for Emeryville, Calif.-based Trader Vic's, whose unit there grosses an estimated $5 million a year, said . . . ."We have 22 of them operating now beside the five U.S. restaurants. In this country we're looking to open in Scottsdale. Ariz.: Miami; New York; and San Diego."

Johnson at Trader Vics LA/BH represents that the return of the Trader Vics in Waikiki is only in the planning stage.

Trader Vic's, San Diego? Another reason for a San Diego Tiki Crawl! But if it's only in the planning stage I guess it'll have to wait for the 2nd Occasional San Diego Tiki Crawl...

M

I heard a "rumor" that Mister Tiki in San Diego was originally supposed to have been a Trader Vic's. Apparently the developer wanted something more "tiki" than they were proposing. TV is definitely looking at San Diego and hopfully will find another location...and hopefully they will wake up and make it a tiki theme. Why are they resisiting using tikis in their new restaurants? Give the people what they want!

On 2004-06-08 11:51, ModMana wrote:
TV is definitely looking at San Diego and hopfully will find another location...and hopefully they will wake up and make it a tiki theme. Why are they resisiting using tikis in their new restaurants? Give the people what they want!

TV should place their tiki establishment off the water, just like Emeryville, as San Diego is based on the coast - maybe somewhere next to the Star of India or purchase the Blind Mellons location in Pacific Beach - good bar crowd and a strong wind would knock it over.

The Gaslamp would not have provided the waterfront proximity (and, at any rate, I don't recall Fio's being large enough).

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Jun 8, 2004 6:51 PM

How's about DALLAS??

Check these recent posts

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=22376&forum=1&start=30&hilite=trader%20vic's%20waikiki

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2007-01-29 12:11 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies