Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Gilding on Port & Starboard Light Glasses

Pages: 1 4 replies

J
JTD posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2004 10:01 PM

Gang,
Can the gilding on the Port and Starboard Light glasses be repaired or touched up? Is it paint? I also have a red Gun Club Punch glass that is completely bereft of it's gilding/paint. Are there companies that could re-do the gilding?

Thanks,
JTD

Hey JTD, what one antique dealer told me is that the red glass is known as "ruby red" glass, which is in and of itself highly collectable. The value is intrinsic; in order for the gold trim to stick, there is actually gold IN the glass.

So I'm guessing that if the gold is off, it's off, but maybe a gilder (?) could gild it back on? But that's probably some bucks.

All I can offer.

B

You can go to a Good Art store and get the proper hyde glue and Guilding paper. Thay will have How-to books also. You will find it is Not that hard and Not that expensive. Basically you paint on the glue and when it is cured, you apply the Thin gold leaf and smoothe it out. After it has dried, you burnish it to a perfect shine and it will look like solid Gold.
Easy as 1-2-3

J
JTD posted on Sun, Apr 4, 2004 8:01 PM

On 2004-04-04 19:46, Benzart wrote:
"Not that hard and Not that expensive."

Music to my ears. I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Ben. And, gracias Senorita Formica.

-JTD

On 2004-04-04 13:41, Formikahini wrote:
Hey JTD, what one antique dealer told me is that the red glass is known as "ruby red" glass, which is in and of itself highly collectable. The value is intrinsic; in order for the gold trim to stick, there is actually gold IN the glass.

So I'm guessing that if the gold is off, it's off, but maybe a gilder (?) could gild it back on? But that's probably some bucks.

All I can offer.

Maybe Nick Gilder can help...

:music: "Gun Club Punch glass in the city..." :music:

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-04-05 09:39 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies