Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Input Needed...

Pages: 1 11 replies

I need some input here. Let me tell you my situation. My wife is an industrial designer who is currently employed for a giftware company. Every time I get an idea for a Tiki gizmo, I do the old, "Hey, why don't you see if your bosses would sell suchandsuch" without much luck. Well, it seems that I might finally get the chance to influence an upcoming spring line that would be sold at a major national retailer.

I began thinking of all of the awful things we are reduced to buying (TJ Maxx Blue sludge bottles, for example) and I thought it would be nice if someone who really cares about Tiki would have a say. Most of the half dozen ideas that I have so far are based on things I wish I could find out there; and I know many of you have thought to yourselves, "Gee, I wish I could find a Moai Widget for my patio bar".

So what I'm asking for, is what Tiki products do you wish existed? This would be for Garden/Patio/Summer/Backyard. And I don't mean cheezey stuff like Ku bug spray... let me give you an example- a scaled down version of the classic cone shaped torch (you know the one I mean, it costs so much you could afford maybe one) I'd love to have my backyard filled with 'em, and if they were smaller and cheaper, I could.

So I ask you, my friends, what do you wish you could find when you're out shopping for summer stuff at yer local Target/K-Mart/Etc.

My humble thanks in advance,

-Z

B

I think a big part of the question has to be "What tiki stuff would I like to see at the stores AND what do I think would really sell". If we try to come up with objects that Non Tikiphiles would buy and that we would buy also. Smokintikis sells Tiki Planters on E-bay. I would buy one at Target-KMart-TJmax..They could make a set from 4-5 inches up to 20-24 inches. I may also purchase a Hose hangar to screw onto the wall IF it had a tiki face on it. Tiki Steppingstones would be neat. I could design a Tiki Bird feeder with birds eating out of my tikis mouth and eyes. How about a Tiki Grill utinsel set, you tongs, fork, brush...
I will try to come up with more. I will try to get to a store and see what they have and how it can be tikified.

T

On 2004-04-04 16:58, Benzart wrote:
How about a Tiki Grill utinsel set, you tongs, fork, brush...

Strange that you should mention this. A company in Rancho Cucamonga, CA has already put this one out there. I saw them at Hilo Hattie's yesterday.

B

Thats interesting. so al least we know the stuff sells. There is always room for another manufacturer of the same product. Same name, diffrent faces.
There could also be Tiki Towels, pot holders and that whole line-up.
We gotta think Tiki is Coming back. WE WANT TIKI.

Also, tiki bathroom accessories would be cool. i know tikifarm used to make a moai bathroom set, but it is sold out and retired. how about a bathroom rug set, shower curtain, and ceramic set. bath towels and hand towels as well. any kitchen accessories would sell well too. just my 2 cents worth as a target, k-mart and walmart shopper.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Apr 5, 2004 6:23 PM

I think it's time for the Tiki Hibachi to make a comeback (since I can't find a vintage one). Tabletop Marquesan style Tiki reading lamp. Tiki dinner plates. In fact, any tiki dinnerware and flatware would be awesome.

KC Hawaii has some tiki bathroom accessories.

how about moai shaped driver covers for golf clubs...with an attached tiki bottle opener?

and a tiki vintage-esque tie clip.

tikicleen wants a tiki doormat, tiki jewelry, and tiki seat covers for her car.

we just bought a FABULOUS tiki lamp from tikitony.....so they are available.

How about tiki torches with the top shaped like a tiki. I think there were some made a while back with plastic containers--seems dangerous to me. Maybe they could be stamped or ceramic?

So I ask you, my friends, what do you wish you could find when you're out shopping for summer stuff at yer local Target/K-Mart/Etc.

A "working tiki bar in the snack area!!!"

"Sure honey, I'll go shopping with you!!!" A Fog Cutter, please!" Shit! We'd be there all day! Her shopping and me sitting at the bar I built, getting sloshed!

It works for Tommy Bahama! Eat dinner, get drunk, go shopping!!

I

How about a mosquito/bug zapper, in shape of a tiki head.

It will be practical in areas which have lots of mosquitos. And for those areas with very few mosquitos, it will still emit an ambient blue glow of light, which would add a mysterious aura to your tiki outing.

Plus I like the idea of sacrifices being made to a tiki, and the tiki figure protecting us from harm.

Vern

D

How about a tiki chiminea?Flames coming out the eyes and mouth-neato frito!!!

On 2004-04-07 06:39, docwoods wrote:
How about a tiki chiminea?Flames coming out the eyes and mouth-neato frito!!!

Actually, that's one of my ideas! Funny thing is, most of my sketches involve fire somehow... perhaps I need therapy (?)

Thanks for all of the great ideas everyone. Keep 'em coming!

-Z

Pages: 1 11 replies