Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

SF Tiki Crawl Night Two: Trader Vic's/Conga Lounge

Pages: 1 21 replies

M

And what a night it was. The room looked fantastic with all the top notch craftmanship on display. Drinks were great as always, and the Rangoon was fried just right. Thanks to all the performers who added the right touch to the night: The smooth sounds of Frank Novicki, the classic hi-jinks of King Kuku and Crazy Al (who left two terrified teenage girls in their wake) and of course, the incomparable Pop Ylop. Then over to the Conga for a great raffle, delicious lomi lomi, and a little limbo.

Thanks to everyone for coming out. Let's see some pictures! In fact, I know for certain that there is video of Pop Ylop's performance....

On 2004-04-05 08:12, martiki wrote:
In fact, I know for certain that there is video of Pop Ylop's performance....

aah shit.... I was afraid of that....

K

I just want to say that I had a great time both Thursday and Friday nights for the Tiki Crawl. Wish I could have joined you all on the bus Saturday too, next year.

For a newbie on Tiki Central and for the crawl I want to say it was very nice to meet such a great group of people.

I'll have pictures of Friday & Saturday night available later today/tonight.

I am assuming next year, I won't be able to purchase raffle tickets though :wink:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to organize this event and again for a great time.

T

One picture says it all...almost

I'll post more later.
We had a great time. Big mahalos to Martiki & Rebecca and everyone who came so far to make it a great night.

allrightie then, i suppose i shall start posting the incriminating evidence. heheheh....

mig, what a tremendous pleasure it was to try on your butt glasses. you are a very classy fella, and i really enjoyed meeting you. still weirded out about how close you live to my old stomping grounds...

bigbadtikidaddy and the drunken hat were greeted by gramps (you dirty dirty man!) outside the conga lounge. gramps had a firm hold of the night. ladies (and men?) beware! :)

jungletrader, me, the drunken hat, and bigbadtikidaddy squeezed into the packed conga lounge.

the one and only ungabunga! this man is stud! what an honor to finally meet him.

and yes! other than kanaloa and myself, someone else DID win a raffle prize! yea for tikimaxton and his mug! :)

it was a great night for all and it was splendid meeting so many people on the board. thank you all for being so open and friendly to new people. i did feel rather stalker like in recognizing many people from the board, so sorry if i scared a few.

:drink:

[ Edited by: tikicleen on 2004-04-05 12:39 ]

you forgot a slash cleen

H

Here's a link to get you started until I have time to pull out a few choice photos. Captions will come later.

http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/sfcrawl_2004/day_2/

Hardest working (wo)man in Exotica, emotional scarring of children, backup chimps, spell Novicki, tiki booblace, stir the box, butt glasses raffle, sexy grumpy bartender.

p.s. -- Video of the elusive, enigmatic Pop Ylop to come....

I had it all backwards -- the best bed is the one that's stumbling distance from Tiki-Ti, or the Mai Kai, or the Lagoon Room, or the Alibi, or the Kon Tiki, or...
Critiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-04-05 13:36 ]

H

Ladies and gentlemen, here (s)he is, that most exotic of blooms, Pop Ylop!

FYI -- I can't get this file to work on my computer, but mig reports it works for him.

DZ

On 2004-04-05 15:13, Humuhumu wrote:
FYI -- I can't get this file to work on my computer, but mig reports it works for him.

It plays fine on my computer, but it's, uhh... sideways??

M

This night was boring!

H

On 2004-04-05 16:19, Doctor Z wrote:
It plays fine on my computer, but it's, uhh... sideways??

Pop Ylop had that written into her rider! She refused to be filmed right side up. I also had to present a gift of individually hand picked corn kernels for her pet "jungle fowl" (which looked suspiciously like a chicken), and I had to massage her left pinkie. I don't know what that was about.

Your pics are great Humuhuma !!
A big Tiki thanks to Mig, Martin and all the organizers for a great time...and for including our humble Conga Lounge on the tour.
It was awesome having you all there and putting a face to a name. I know the Conga can get a little crowded at events like these. I hope the abundance of music and drinks made up for the lack of floor space.
Looking forward to seeing you all again in the near future.

Mahalo to TikiTony and the Adrift.com crew for hanging around and selling me tiki-stuff out of the back of the truck (The Rapa Nui is framed and proudly hanging in my bedroom) and also to UngaBunga -excellent tiki shirt -as I was the last straggler to arrive at Trader Vic's, and what a glorious tiki mecca it is.

The Conga Lounge, congas make great party toys - I have a photo of two beautiful wahinees (whose names I don't recall) with conga.

WHAT AN EASTER ISLAND MURAL!!! The bar, however, should be renamed after its most striking feature.

Thanks to all those who stayed & closed the place: King Kukulele, Steve, Chongolio, Otto, and all other friends (memory gets cloudy at the end of the evening).

King - Love the Room 135 song.

Night 2 was way out there. It crushed me. No probelem with extra sleep so could hang w/ the face suckers/ lunch loosers/ smiling faces and exotic drinks. Nothing like a NAVY GROG

H

Mike, the Conga Lounge was a great addition this year -- it was packed, but hey, it was a party, whaddya expect! What was surprising, however, was that as crowded as it was, the waitstaff was still quite prompt and courteous -- impressive, in the face of a mob like ours!

Here's some pics from that night:

Trader Vics:

One section of the vendor tables

The two poor girls who King tortured, and their lovely savior from the audience, who led them in a hula. I overheard one of the girls in the restroom saying "Oh my god, I am so never going to talk ever again"

I got to sit next to Pop Ylop!

Pop Ylop goes Maori

Pop Ylop takes the stage

Pop Ylop becomes a blur of enticing and enchanting movement, like a Mystery Girl, only more mysterious, and more girly

There was SWOONING! SWOONING I tell you!

These next few pics were taken by Floratina; you can tell because they're well lit, clear, and nicely composed:

jungletrader & Polynesian Pop

Trader Pup, King Kukulele, and Mrs. Pineapple

Frank Novicki & Hanford Lemoore

Naomi, aquarj & bigbadtikidaddy

Okay, now we're back to my cruddy pics again:

The King and I

Me & the delicious Tina Tina Floratina

Conga Lounge:

The Mob (well, part of it)

TikiMama chats with the elusive Mrs. TikiMaxton

The compulsory bowl shot -- Tiki Monkey still clings to his primary drink

K

Well since I really didn't know anyone this year, didn't want to get in "your face" and have you wonder, who the hell this guy is. So I took general crowd shots of the group.

You can find pictures from Trader Vic's and the Conga Lounge at:

http://www.underpressuredivers.com/ngallery/default.aspx

Next year, I'll hopefully be in your face :wink:

Enjoy and download full size pictures and/or add captions if you'd like.

FYI: Pictures average 3 MB and sorry haven't had time to crop and/or fix pics so you get them as I shot them.

[ Edited by: kanaloa on 2004-04-07 00:21 ]

C

What else can be said but mahalo nui loa to everyone involved in making this night unforgetable. A special thanks to Martiki and his crew, Trader Vic's and to all the vendors and entertainers. Also, a big thanks to my girl Chongolia for all her help at the booth.
I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciated the postive input on the shirts and my artwork. It was pleasure meeting each and everyone of you. Sorry I missed the Conga Lounge, but I had a great time at Vic's getting to know Tikitony and the Adrift posse along with Christiki295.

Chongolio

G

Tikicleen,

That was actually my drunken alter ego you met Friday night. Those were the ramblings of a man kidnapped by friends at 10 am and forced to drink for the next 14 hours straight . . . or was it my idea to hit the bar for an early liquid lunch? Oh well I hadn't seen those guys in a year and we had a lot of catching up to do. :wink:

That picture is quite telling of my condition by the time we actually hooked up with the rest of the group. Not a pretty sight. But obviously in what ever condition I was in I was at least able to recognize true beauty in its rarest form. :wink:

Gramps

T

Mahalo for a great night at Trader Vic,s first time in the Captain's Cabin for me. Kathy and Judy and I had a great time chatting with the KING. I think I'm suppose to send him some CDS,I think? Met Martiki and Chongolio, that framed print of the crawl will look cool in the bar. Thanks again to everyone who put this unique experience together.
Tikiboy

Had this great plan to wait for my pics from the Conga Lounge to post. Heh heh. nothing turned out. Serves me right for going film instead of digital... Now my post is eons after the crawl and nobody cares anymore. :) Anyway, if anyone has pics of the decor, please post or email me, I think there might be some good inspirations for a painting in that place (likewise if anyone has decor-type pics from the tonga room) The owner of the Conga Lounge, Michael, said he and his brother pooled their collections of tiki-related stuff when they opened the place and just started putting it up all over the walls. Turned out pretty great I think.

Anyway, a very cool bar and well worth the trip.

H

Hey there Travellin' Tiki -- I got lots of pics, more of the Tonga Room than the Conga Lounge, but maybe there will be something there you can work with. The pics aren't great, taking photos in these places requires a certain finesse (and a tripod) I just don't have yet.

http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/sfcrawl_2004/

G

Ok so I am a little slow to get things posted. Here is the latest set of pictures from the SF Crawl 2004. Sorry I wasn't around much for this Crawl, but I had to set priorities between seeing friends and following the crowd. Obviously Friday night I started drinking with friends way earlier than the rest of you. :wink:

http://mcsheehy.com/Tiki_Bar_Crawl_II.htm

Gramps

Pages: 1 21 replies