Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Caine Mutiny

Pages: 1 3 replies

TM1

I was watching this great movie, "the caine mutiny" with Bogart, and one of the early scenes takes place in a very cool tiki club..anyone know if that was just a set, or an actual place?

At that time Hollywood film interiors were still 95% sets built on sound stages, especially with the bigger budget movies.

Even in Billy Wilder's "The Apartment" Tiki Bar scene, where one could SWEAR it was shot at Trader Vic's because it is such a beautifully dense and multilayered environment. But considering the size of the lighting and camera equipment back then, there would have been no way to get the shots they got.

A
aquarj posted on Mon, Apr 5, 2004 8:40 PM

Even in Billy Wilder's "The Apartment" Tiki Bar scene, where one could SWEAR it was shot at Trader Vic's because it is such a beautifully dense and multilayered environment. But considering the size of the lighting and camera equipment back then, there would have been no way to get the shots they got.

Really? Dang, there go our hopes of finding a copy of that "Rickshaw Boy" LP!

If that place in The Apartment was a set, it was convincing indeed!

-Randy

V

Wow...I'd like to have "the appartment" set designer working on my appartment tiki bar set (without the budget).

Pages: 1 3 replies