Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Archie McPhee Tiki Mug Set

Pages: 1 13 replies

W

I was in Archie McPhee's yesterday and saw they have a new boxed set of Tiki tumblers for $18. The mugs are about 4 inches tall with a wide mouth (the top of the mug, not the Tiki face). Four different faces, all in a brown glaze, heavy duty ceramic. I think they're nicer than the last boxed set of mugs they put out (the 4 colored set), and would be great for every day or guests you can't trust with a "real" mug.

K

I checked their website, but they're not up yet....

http://www.mcphee.com/tiki/tiki.html

This is a pretty old stream, but I really like those wide-mouthed tiki tumblers from Archie McPhee (just the ticket for my flaming re-entry coconauts -- thanks for the help Dogbytes). So today I went down there to get some more. As luck would have it, the store is having a sale on their series of tall mugs. Unfortunately for non-Seattleites, these are still regular price online, but at $2.99 each in the store they seemed like just the ticket for every-day use mugs. I cleaned out their supply (at least the ones on display) of the Sherm mugs:

And I bought a few of the others from the set of 4
(Carlos, Bela, Klaus, Sherm). Unfortunately they still seem to be regular price online.

BTW, on my way back from Ballard, I noticed that the garden statuary place down there is having a sale, and I picked up this concrete tiki for $18:

Quit it, you're making me cry! Why can't I find cool stuff like that?

is it true that the new box sets of Mcphee mugs no longer carry cocktail recipes because it mean the mugs are classed as drugs paraphernalia in certain states or has my memory made this fact up?

K

really like those wide-mouthed tiki tumblers from Archie McPhee

Those are the Accoutrements mugs. I see them all over in various gift stores.

And I bought a few of the others from the set of 4
(Carlos, Bela, Klaus, Sherm).

Also made by Accoutrements. I found Carlos recently at Goodwill for .59 cents.

H

Archie McPhee is the same as Accoutrements -- Archie McPhee is their storefront that has been operating for, god, I dont' know how long, decades. Basically it's the same as how where you grow up determines if you call fizzy stuff "soda" or "pop" -- Seattlites call it Archie McPhee's, the rest of the world calls it Accoutrements.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-05 12:54 ]

B

I was under the assumption Accoutrements is the Wholesale side of the business, while Archie Mcphee is the Store Front/Catalog/Online business. I used to work in a Toy Store and purchased wholesale items from Accoutrements. But there were several times I wanted to order items from the regular McPhee catalog for myself, but Accoutrements didnt stock them.

H

True, they're not exactly the same -- Archie McPhee sells additional stuff (though I think the catalog these days is exclusively Accoutrements stuff -- their modern catalog is very different from the one I grew up with).

K
Kenike posted on Mon, Sep 5, 2005 3:50 PM

Seattlites call it Archie McPhee's, the rest of the world calls it Accoutrements

Had no idea..good info for us non-Seattlites.

Have you seen their new skull mug?

I almost jumped out of my skin thinking it might be Tiki Farm's new skull mug.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2005-09-06 16:28 ]

H

They don't have it on the website yet, but at the store when we were in Seattle there was a Frankenstein mug next to the skull mug. Not tiki, of course, but way more detailed than the other mugs Accoutrements has been producing, with many painted details. There was a third mug, too, but I forget what it was -- a pirate head maybe? But the Frankenstein was clearly a step above the others, it'll be interesting to see if they start producing mugs of a higher quality.

Have you seen their new skull mug?

Yes but, at the risk of my reputation, for some reason that skull mug just didn't catch my fancy. I can't tell you why -- skull muggery is so ineffable -- and this does NOT mean that Dogbytes should stop informing me about each great new skull item she discovers.

For wedding favours we got a host of the colored 4 pack set. At $7.50 wholesale, or less than $2 a mug, that is a great bulk price. $200 minimum, and you have to have a wholesellers number. They are 10oz.

Just wanted to put another option up here for bulk tiki mugs.

Pages: 1 13 replies