Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki shop, OC/HB

Pages: 1 11 replies

BT

so...
I know this guy and he is determined to open a tiki shop, whaterver that is, and he is off and running. he's not from around these parts but what the hey. anyway he is, as we speak stocking up on tiki stuff for his shop, I told him he ought to buy some stuff from the cool artists on TC. I fear he is a bit cash poor but should be able to buy a few items at least. any ideas on who he might buy a few buget items from to get started? nothing too spendy but kind of cool anyway. I've not checked out the prices most TC artists are asking for thier work, full size poles are most likley a bit out of his price range right at this moment, maybe a bit later. stuff clocking in under a benny might be a good start for him just now. anyway if ya'll gots sme ideas toss 'em at me and I'll put tiki jason in touch wit da right guys.
Monkeyman, you came to mind right off the bat, do ya do any smallish frames that might fit the bill?
Anyone... anything... speak up,

UB

Could you let us know when you find out what kind of a "tiki shop" it will be?

What about placing items in his shop on consignment? That should fit their budget.
just an idea.

WHere's it gonna be? How big is the shop?

BT

I have no problem with consignment, and I don't think Jason would either but... I would not want to ask artist to place things on consignment, or at least not go to particular artists and ask for consignment pieces, it just never set right with me, don't ask me why, it just strikes me as rude. on the other hand if approached by artists wanting a consignment arrangment I'm fine with that.
I'm helping the kid out a bit with advice on what to stock and thats why I'm snooping around here, looking for cool stuff he can afford. He just wants a cool shop full o tiki junk/art/stuff/ torches... oh yeah he seems on a mission to produce tiki uber torches. super extra cool torches, hand carved godlike flaming torches. I thing the Kingfish may be in on that. Personally I'd like to see it have a large "gallery" section with lots of one of a kind stuff, but alas who knows how much doe ray me the kid has to start off on. anyway it sounds like something fun to do so...

T

Bwana,

Your title includes HB, will it be in HB, and would that mean Hermosa Beach?

I may be interested depending on what he decides to do. Consignment dosen't sound bad depending what percentage he would want. I would be willing to do some small low priced pieces to get started with. I think consignment works out will if it's done right. I knew a guy who had a shop where he hung art on consignment. He would add 25% to the asking price, on $100 he would only make $25, but he had nothing into it except the time in hanging it on the wall. It was also free decore he could make money off of. Anyhow let me know what he decides to do.

Where in HB?

Does he have a location yet?

Was that you on the bus bench on Goldenwest and Edinger today jumping around with a uke!??? Freakin out the traffic??

If your friend is cash poor, then maybe owning a shop is not the way to go. Not only will he(she) have to purchase stock, but he will also need cash for the lease, renovation, insurance, utilities, advertising, etc.

Maybe he try swapmeets, an on-line biz or working out a deal with a store which is already established?

Have him give me an e-mail at [email protected] if he's interested in inexpensive imports. I don't have any customers in H.B. yet. Currently I've got over 600 tikis in stock ranging from $10.00 to $150.00. -Jason

Just saw Flip Tiki the OC HB guy. boy is he reeved up. his store is called Tiki Lawn and it is a combination lawn service and tiki store... go figure. seems the boy already has a space and he spends a lot of time there so it may as well be a tiki store when he is not out doing lawns. yes my friends it is a wacky world indeed. he seems the type who don't give a flip if it is a strange notion this tiki lawn, he is obsessed with tiki junk and there is no sence talking reason with him about the harships of tiki storing and such. this is the way its gonna be, including the indoor lawn in the store! so underfunded or not off he goes. He should be online sometime next week and plans to come by TC. He registered today and posted in introductions, his name is Flip Tiki.
Flounder, that was a very kind offer and He seemed intrested. When I showed him your work his jaw hit the floor. It would be kind to get some Flounder in the shop, he is really into it. again a kind offer from a talent such as yourself.
Anyway come hell or high water he is opening on May first somewhere in HB. sorry I don't know where exactly as I've not been to his shop, and don't really know HB, I'll ask when I need to drive there I guess, anyway when I know You will know too.

Lawn service tiki store!?! What the flip dude, I'm in,

Bwana Tiki

[ Edited by: Bwana Tiki on 2004-04-07 23:32 ]

[ Edited by: Bwana Tiki on 2004-04-07 23:32 ]

T

sounds very fragmented and wacky. Hope it works out, location is the key! If it looks legit, I might be interested.

TB

Good luck Flip Tiki, What is the address? Remeber to post in locating tiki forum as well.

Pages: 1 11 replies