Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Miles Thompson Show

Pages: 1 14 replies

The SHOW is this sat 8-11pm at Copro Nason . So who is going to be there or be SQUAREsville?

S

Tiki Ti first, then the show!

The frame is game!

Miles T is a painting Maestro! This show was too cool! I am fortunate to know this man.

H

It was a sea of red dots! Red dots, red dots everywhere! I'll post a few pics soon.

Fantastic show! Thanks, Miles for being such a great painter and gracious host. From where does your ingenious talent gush? The chichis at Tiki-Ti? I guess it doesn't matter, just keep the creativity flowing!

-Weird Unc

Hey, Danny, how 'bout posting some pics of your frames?

I'll get a pick soon. In all the excitement for Miles' show and all, I forgot to shoot a pic. It's big and heavy and had Miles walking witha GANGSTA LEAN when I handed it to him. The frame is nice and all, but not even close to the paintings!

K

hey kids!

this is so gratifying...if this was an online diary i'd do a blow by blow but i have a policy that posting too much is a bit kookoo-che-koo...

danny's frame did hurt my back...now i have a gimpy leg that curses my injured identity with a pegleg stride...his carving is SO BEAUTIFUL...thanks so much danny for your bllod sweat and tears at 6AM the day of the show TIKI DIABLO - you rule man!...as it turns out i was SO late for the show with my whole family in tow from the tiki ti that i failed Danny's framework...he didn't make the wall the night of the opening (i am a total weiner!)...though this weekend i'll post some picks of the frame on an original that Sirginn (BIG UPS BIG BOY) bought days before the show...the tiki tree (with the drunk primate cast) thanks S&C...you totally inspire me...HUMU U 2 dude...beautiful to see you at the tiki ti and at the gallery...after leaving the tiki ti navigating my people across town was totally bunk...san diegans driving in LA???

i want to thank every one that came down to culver city that night to see what i had put together in preparation for the show with their own eyes - in person. i kept hearing "congratulations" and it was SO COOL for me to see that the internet can provide a warm introduction to people that you actually JIVE with in some regard. you were ALL SO NICE and i SO got off on your enthusiasm...(one piece was stolen right off the wall! thank god it was a poopy one)

everyone i have met here has been a great blessing to me and my family...

thanks for your sincere interest in my artistic efforts. i look forward to seeing many of you on May 8th at the "I Dream of Tiki" show at Mmodern Gallery in Palm Springs ...as well as at my next solo show on December 11th at the same venue ....or maybe at my next Copro Nason opening (date to be determined)

thanks for all your support Tiki Central! especially you chikitiki...you are the man!

S
SES posted on Thu, Apr 29, 2004 5:22 PM

Humuhumu,

Did you ever posts the pics?
I've been away for awhile.
Just checking back in.

:)

M

I've been meaning to post these photos for awhile. We actually attended the show the day of the exhibit opening but before the reception because we had other family plans during the evening. Wish we could have hung out with the TC crowd and told Miles in person how fantastic his new art is. You really need to see this show in person if you possibly can (these amatuer pictures do not do his art justice). We've always been big fans of Miles's art but he has really stepped up the level of his work for this exhibit. Awesome stuff!!!

Here is a peak at the show, but there are many, many more pieces that I didn't get shots of. And Humuhumu, I'd love to see your photos of the reception. Here ya go...

ModMana :drink:

Did Chiki carve all those frames?? Shit! That's nuts!! They almost look like cast carved wood. Out of control!

C

Sometimes frames overwhelm the artwork, these do not. Surfing Creature stands out all the more. Wish I could be there to see it in person.

I only carved one frame for the show. It is not pictured here but will get something up after Oasis.

H

Sorry for the holdup with the pics.

**AN IMPORTANT POINT ABOUT THESE PICTURES:
Using someone else's photos is always very naughty, and the ease with which they're grabbed off the internet doesn't make it okay, legally or morally. In the case of these photos, I feel it's especially important to point this out. If you want to use Miles' artwork for something, talk to him about it.

Another important point is that the majority of these pictures are small details of larger paintings. Miles puts a lot of thought into the composition of his works, and these pictures throw all of that out the window. I think it's really interesting to get to see his work close-up, but keep in mind that there's much more painting outside the frame of the photo.

Oh, and also: these pictures are sucky & the color is all off. Don't hold it against Miles.**

Without further ado, the pictures:

The frame that chiki carved (these pics don't do it justice):

I bought this one!!! I especially loved it because it reminds me of my Hukilau sister, Inky Louise:

Assorted tikis scattered around the gallery (these are always there, be sure to pop in and have a look if you're in the area):

Benzart made this cool pendant for Miles, it runs on batteries, and that black tongue is an on/off switch. I've seen a few of Benzart's pendants in person now, and I have to say that their quality is even more striking when you see them in real life. Fantastic!

There are more photos here:

http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/four_stops/

I had it all backwards -- the best bed is the one that's stumbling distance from Tiki-Ti, or the Mai Kai, or the Lagoon Room, or the Alibi, or the Kon Tiki, or...
Critiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-05-03 16:32 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies