Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Von Franco Tiki Show JULY 10th at the Bahooka w/special guests!!!

Pages: 1 2 76 replies

Okay Tiki Friends...Don't make any plans for July 10th. The place will be the Bahooka Restaurant in Rosemead California. Time? 7:30-11:00pm.

The show will feature the Art and merchandise of pinstriper and Tiki artist Von Franco. Tiki Farm will be on hand with select products including a special new release. Bamboo Ben will have some of his amazing pieces available, Doug Nason with a Tiki Slide Show, and Crazy AL will be there too, with a special custom piece for the show.
Admission?....of course not. Just lots of fun, tiki, booze, art, merchandise, friendship, and good times.

More information will be released over the next few weeks, including glimpses of the custom pieces designed for the show, the official Press Release from "J.R. McNasty Productions", pictures of the flyer, etc.

Hope to see all of you there!!!!

Erich Troudt

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt on 2004-04-13 01:35 ]

Cripes!
that's cool.
Yowsers hot digiti.
Yup I'm in,

Its marked on my calender.

Here is a copy of the official press release that is going out to all the magazines and newspapers.........

Von Franco & Friends Tiki Show

J.R. McNasty Productions presents, “The Von Franco & Friends Tiki Show”, Saturday, July 10th, 2004. The event will be held at the Bahooka Restaurant in Rosemead, California from 7:30pm-11:00pm.

The show will feature Tiki art by Von Franco, carvings by Crazy AL, bamboo creations by Bamboo Ben, and mugs from Tiki Farm. Each artist will be debuting new art and merchandise, including one-of-a-kind pieces, custom items celebrating the event and a special limited edition collaboration from all four artists. Bahooka signature drinks will be available in the events collectable Tiki Farm mug, and just added… a Tiki slide show presentation by Doug Nason.

The Bahooka is one of the few remaining “tiki” restaurants and is the perfect setting for this showcase of artists. No admission charge for the show. Call 626-285-1241 for dinner reservations (reservations highly recommended). Parking is free but limited space is available.

All hail the Tiki!!!!

About the artists:

Von Franco-- Von Franco got started with the influence of Von Dutch and Big Daddy Roth, but took it to a whole other level. He is considered a master of the pinstriping community, an amazing airbrush artist and a pioneer of the Kustom Kulture scene. While living in Hawaii in the early 70’s, he studied the art of Tiki’s and the surf movement, an influence that is obvious in his Tiki paintings and products of today. Both Von Franco and his work have been seen in movies, television, books and countless magazines.

Crazy AL-- A native of the South West, Sculptor Crazy AL Evans got his tiki influence from a variety of sources. Kachina dolls, “Trader Vic’s” in downtown Scottsdale, trips to Hawaii, his father’s Hawaiian shirts, and a Hawaii 5-0 habit all played a large part of his childhood. In 1990, during his education at Art Center Pasadena, AL started carving tiki necklaces for the ‘OC’ surf band “The Swinging Tikis”. The band dubbed him “Crazy AL” for his on-stage and on-bar antics. In 1992, AL established his company “Crazy AL’s Bone Productions” which brings you all of his “Manic Whittling” recreated in affordable resin casts. Since 1997, his very unique and intricately carved large tikis have spread from Hawaii to New York City. Crazy AL also carves tikis live on-stage with his tropical themed band “APE!”

Bamboo Ben-- Bamboo Ben is one of the leading artists of tropical decor and bamboo work in Southern California today. His work echoes the passions of his Grandfather, Eli Hedley, who is known as the "original Beachcomber." Over the past decade, Bamboo Ben has been spotlighted in many print and film media including a feature article in Orange Coast Magazine. He has also generated an impressive clientele. From tiki bars for MGM Studios (Windtalkers' Production) to tropical pleasures for Hollywood producers, rockers, corporate heads to the largest coffee tycoon known to date; Bamboo Ben is always original. No art piece is alike. Located in Huntington Beach, Bamboo Ben creates in his studio weekly. The store door, operated by Mrs. Bamboo, opens to the public on Saturday and Sunday and displays Bamboo Ben's creations ranging from tiki bars to king size beds.

Tiki Farm-- In the Fall of 2000, Holden Westland, took up a lease on a 1,400 square foot industrial building. With about a dozen products in his line-up, he created “Tiki Farm, Inc”, San Clemente CA’s based tiki mug manufacturer. Tiki Farm is now in over 3,000 stores worldwide, has over 100 designs, and resides in a new 5,000+ square foot facility. Tiki Farm has dedicated itself to making the finest tiki mugs available to the public, showcasing new artists, and making future collectables. Honoring traditions of the past, Tiki Farm has created several replicas of historical mugs, all done with the same level of quality and attention to detail as the originals. Tiki Farm mugs can be found in restaurants, theme parks, nightclubs and are in many surf shops as well.

For more information contact J.R. McNasty Productions at: [email protected]

...J.R. McNasty Productions presents...

Is that Filthy McNasty's kid?

For sure!

I'm there! Literally, I'm there...right now...waiting...hiding behind a fishtank.

Not to sound like a total dolt that isn't in the know, but is this an anual show? I went to a tiki show at Bahooka 5 or more years ago and had the best time. In fact, just the other day, I was wondering why they didn't do it anymore. Perhaps, I just hadn't heard about it until now. Oh well.... I'll be there!

Tiki Brad-

As of right now, it's not an annual show, but that is the plan. J.R. McNasty Productions said if all goes well they want to have one every year.

The last one was 6 six ago...can you believe that? Time flies huh.

I remember going and how much fun it was. Thats why I have been trying to get the word out about this one.... and because my bro-in-law Franco is involved I have to push it too, (I want him on my good side so he won't notice I've been stealing cool stuff out of his Tiki room).

It should be a fun event

TB

Dang.....six years ago! Time does fly. Yeah, it was a good time. I remember Shag had one of his originals there that I spent some time drooling over. Well count me in. Tikis + cocktails + Bahooka = good times!

Tiki Brad-

For those planning on having dinner the night of the show should call and make reservations now. The Bahooka management said the reservations are filling up very quickly.

The phone number for the Bahooka is 626-285-1241.

I have seen some of the cool pieces that will be available at the show (being von franco bro-in-law has its advantages)

Mark this show on your calendars. Its gonna be a blast.

T

Any possibilty that us geographically challenged can somehow get in on this glorious event?

Wow...I never thought of that. I will pass this along to the promoter of the show and see what he says.

Theres gotta be a way to include the TC family members outside Ca.

T
TNTiki posted on Sun, Jun 6, 2004 8:42 AM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:32 ]

N

Just made my reservations for dinner. I've never been to Bahooka. Should be a fun night.

This is going to be awesome! I ran into Erich Troudt the other night at The Magic Castle, (By the way, he was performing on the main stage and totally blew us away with his amazing illusions!) and he was describing some of the surprise goodies that'll be available at Bahooka. All I can say is "wow!" I hope to get over there later in the night as The Maikai Gents are playing a private party earlier in the evening and have roped me into going along to be their uke-tech.

-Weird Unc

On 2004-05-14 07:34, freddiefreelance wrote:

Hey Freddie, so you remember Filthy McNasty's in Hollywood. Man, that was a while ago...

Hey Freddie, so you remember Filthy McNasty's in Hollywood. Man, that was a while ago...

There's also a great one in London...

On 2004-06-22 17:47, Tiki_Bong wrote:

On 2004-05-14 07:34, freddiefreelance wrote:

No, I came west just a little too late, but I've seen too many bands at F.M. Station in North Hollywood, but that also was a while ago...

T

No offense guys, why do you not pm each other about this, just wondering why the need to keep posting this to death when it seems to have nothing to do with the event.

Valid question Tiki Toa,

But had I just PM's Freddie about Filthy McNasty's, then Polynesiac would have never informed me that there used to be one in London.

It's kinda like fishing, if I drop the hook in a bigger body of water, I have a better chance of catching more (alright, maybe not the best analogy).

I agree Toa!
Bong take your (OH so normal) filthy conversation to another spot.
Keep the topic on topic or it won't be on topic.

Oh yeah
I can't wait to go to the Bahooka show.
Eric a Prestidigitator, that's to cool!

When this stops being fun
I'm out
Have no brakes Cannot stop
Happydog

[ Edited by: thebaxdog on 2004-06-24 07:38 ]

SeekingTiki and I will be there. It's about time we made a trip out to LA. I just put in our reservations.

-vw

Does anyone have room to squeeze one more into their dinner reservation? I'd like to make sure I've got a spot, but it seems seven different kinds of sad to make a reservation for one.

humuhumu - our reservations are for 2 at 5pm, but I'd be glad to make room for another if your interested. Let me know and I'll make the call. It's our first time hitting the soCal tiki scene so we're pretty excited.

-vw

L
laney posted on Wed, Jun 30, 2004 5:22 PM

Humu, my reservations are for 5 at 6 or 6:30 (I think...the #2 bowl of Zombie really got the best of me when I was there and made the reservation)
I know one of my friends won't make it. So it'll be 3-4 for us and my son's small, hey so are you so we're sure to fit!
Let me know and I'll call down to confirm.
Laney

H

Thanks so much for the offers, guys! vwtikigirl, I think I'm going to take up laney on her offer, as 5pm is a bit early for me. I'm really looking forward to seeing Bahooka in a somewhat-packed state.

Laney, let me know once you fnd out if it's 6pm or 6:30.

Hey everyone. Since someone here requested it, and since we got several emails about it, it has been decided that T-shirts for the Von Franco and Friends show will be available for anyone that can't make it to the show, especially for those out of state.

Here is the design for the shirt.

The shirts will be $10.00 + $4.00 for priority shipping. (hawaii, alaska, and overseas will be more.) Sizes will be medium, large and x-large.

Anyone interested can email [email protected]

Hope to see you all there!!

M

I was planning on going but did not stop to think that I would need reservations.

I will look for fellow TCers standing outside.

you only need reservations to have dinner there.

Anyone can come to the show. No admission, first come, first served, as many as we can cram in the back room.

besides, Bahooka has several bars, they will have cocktails waitresses in the room with us, and there will even be a drink special/special event mug.

P

I was at Bahooka yesterday and was talking with the owner. They are not taking reservations anymore for that night. Looks like it is going to be pretty full. I am still planning to go. It might help if TC'ers that have reservations are willing to add one or two to their groups as an impromptu thing.

T

What no love for the big fellas, I need at least a 3XL in a T braddah! How about hooking me up with a print instead??

Bummer, I was too late. Called to make reservations and I was denied. Oh well, I'll still be there. Who needs food? I only wanted there drinks anyway!

H

So basically since everyone is going, we are going to be waiting in line outside, just like last month at LACMA???????????????

lacma

Hey Tiki-Toa I can get you a 3xl shirt if you want one. The issue is that the shirt companies charge more money for the 2xl and 3xl. It's not fair but they cost us more. Those sizes are $15 + $4 for shipping. Email [email protected] if you want one.

As far as the prints go, there will be 100 available that night to the public. If there are any that don't sell, they will be offered here to TC members first.

CA

the Bone Productions elf work shop in working overtime... Bamboo is flying as you read over at the BambooBen works... this Limited Edition of 50 with four names on it looks fantastic....

I'll have lots of one of a kind stuff and NEW PRODUCTS!!!!! debuted!!!!

this is going to be fun!

Al's right. The 4 artist collaboration is amazing. For those who haven't been over to http://www.tikifarm.com to see it, here it is...

"This special piece is a collaboration of efforts between Von Franco (the designer), Crazy Al (the product sculptor and manufacturer of the hand-stained resin pedestal’d stem), Tiki Farm (the manufacturer of the glazed ceramic chalice bowl) and Bamboo Ben (the manufacturer of the “Sacrificial Tiki Altar Box”). This is the first time ever that these 4 artist’s have combined energies to produce a single piece. The price for this piece: $100."

This is going to be a fun event.

Remember, you DON"T need dinner reservations to come to the show. Bahooka has several bars, and will even have drink waitresses in the room. Doors open at 7:30pm.

Anyone coming in from out of state, please come find me. I will have something special for you in appreciation of your travels.

TB

I've got one, possibly two, open seats at my table. My reservations are a bit late though at 8:00. Drop me a line if you're interested. See you all there!

We have a 7pm reservation for 8, but a few of our party dropped out today, which means we have room for 3 and possibly even 4 TCers if any of you would like to join us!

We're shooting to get there early (6:30ish) to say hey to Pat & Rufus before the shindig begins.

Drop an email to lawebchick @ nocturne . com since I may forget to check TC before we hit the road...

Karen

CA

NEW STUFF! and the début of Crazy AL Tiki#70 "Fairman Wedding Tiki"!!!

it will be a late night...

Does anyone have a lap-top I can use for the duration of the show? I need two of them!!!
will plug them in...
free gift awaits!

email [email protected]
or call 714 960 3003 Thanks

Does anyone have a lap-top I can use for the duration of the show? I need two of them!!!
will plug them in...
free gift awaits! (as CraZy Al said )

Mrs. Boo has a lap, but not the TOP "you" are used too!!!! Now you say 2? That would be a 4 some??? Arrrrrrrrrrrrr!! You go plug yourself into some other outlet!!!! God damn! Aren't you asleep from all the "last minute" stressing of this show?? Fucking BeautiFul!!!!

Hey, come to this show! It will be "one of a kind"! Trust me!

p.s. where is RevBambooBen been? Ben busy.(benzart. keep carving!GO!)

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

p.s.s. I ain't the Bamboo Dude guy! (he spells it wrong!!!!!!) ( fuck!)

See you all at the "Bamboo Ben and Friends" show tomorrow at the BAHOOOOOOKA!!

CA

well' silence was golden.....

Wow...what an event. It was really packed. I mean packed beyond are wildest thoughts. I would like to thank everyone that came out to the event. The Bahooka and the artists enjoyed having everyone there. The Bahooka staff said everyone was so nice and they had never been that crowded....EVER!

Once again thank you to all of those who came to the event. (some as far as Arizona and Colorado!!!!)

Pictures will be up soon.

Erich

Now...for all you out of towners. I didn't forget you guys. I pulled back several of the limited edition numbered prints. They are $10 + $4.00 for shipping. First come first serve.
[email protected]

Also, we will be taking t-shirt orders until Friday July 16th. M, L, XL are $13.00. 2XL are $16.00. That price includes the shipping to the continental US. Get your order in before Friday.
[email protected]

Thanks Everyone.

Erich

It was AMAZINGLY packed, the most crowded I've ever seen Bahooka get...so dense with people within that it was impossible to move, and total chaos generally...and there were lots of people moving about in the parking lot as well. A fine socializing event! Good to see everyone there, y'all!

It was packed - Bahooka said they underestimated the power of tiki, and they would love to see it happen again :) We had a great time, wandering from room to room, returning to our community table to nosh and then diving back into the fray.

Thanks so much to the folks who put it all together!

Picture 1 - too many appetizers, a couple of flaming Planter's Punch bowls, plus our friend Bill - it was his first visit to Bahooka, but definitely not his last... In Picture 2: that's me (Karen) on the right, my honey Tim on the left, and of course von Franco in the middle.

[ Edited by: lawebchick on 2004-07-11 20:21 ]

Pages: 1 2 76 replies