Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Need lahala mounting tips

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

I have some lahala matting I want to mount onto a brick wall. What's the best way to do so and not destroy the brick's appearance (so it can be removed when we eventually move)?

I thought of mounting thin plywood or mdf to the brick and stapling the mat to that, which would provide a good backing to nail or screw stuff to. But then how to attach the wood to brick?

TB

I have the same problem, but with an exterior stucco wall.

plastic anchors into the mortar(not the brick) after you move drill'm out and patch

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID on 2004-04-13 17:37 ]

In this thread (The Rincon Room-Home Bar);
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8315&forum=7&15

bongofury used:

used an adhesive for attaching fiberglass insulation to sheet metal duct

I don't know how strong the bond would be to brick, though, but it may be worth a try. Drilling in brick is messy and hard to reverse, if you decide to take the matting down in the future. Swanky may have some tips too here (Added bamboo fencing to the walls):
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=6953&forum=7

good luck! (be sure to post pictures when it's done, because we want to see!)

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-04-13 18:13 ]

The proper way to do it and have it be removable is to glue it on to 1/4" plywood and mount the plywood to the wall.

Use contact cement with a special glue roller (it fits on a paint roller). Glue up the plywood and a little on the lauhala and let dry.

The plywood can be mounted with 4 screws instead of dozens of staples and the only impact it will have on your wall will be screw holes which can be filled later.

Give it a try.

S

Yes, you must screw into the mortar, not the brick. The brick will simply be destroyed. This was a huge problem at Hale Tiki with 200 year old brick that was extra brittle.

Since it's not much weight, it might not call for heavy duty screws, which is easier.

Pages: 1 5 replies