Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Mixology : boilermaker specifics?

Pages: 1 11 replies

P

As I understand things, a boilermaker is a shot and a beer. Any shot and any beer.

Is there specialized nomeclature for specific combinations? i.e. a shot of creme de menthe and a Guiness is a "screaming leprechaun"?

On 2004-04-14 10:03, Philot wrote:
As I understand things, a boilermaker is a shot and a beer. Any shot and any beer.

Hi Philot,
A shot of bourbon/whiskey.
Beer of choice.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-04-14 10:12 ]

When I was a kid I thought Purdue University's nickname referred to the cocktail, rather than "people who make boilers." :lol:

DZ

A shot of amaretto in a beer is a "Dr. Pepper" ('cause it tastes like one!)

Guinness & Bailey's is an "Irish Car Bomb" (or is it Guinness & Jameson?. Hmmm...)

Guinness & Cassis (black currant) is a "Black Velvet"

That's all I can remember at the moment.

1 1/2oz of Bailey's and 1/2oz of lime juice is a Cement Mixer, but I wouldn't recommend that one. ewww.

M

On 2004-04-14 11:22, Doctor Z wrote:

Guinness & Bailey's is an "Irish Car Bomb" (or is it Guinness & Jameson?. Hmmm...)

Guinness & Cassis (black currant) is a "Black Velvet"

I've seen the Irish Car Bomb as Guinness and Jameson's or Guinness, Jameson's, AND Bailey's.

A "Black Velvet" is usually a Guinness and Champagne/sparkling wine, but Cassis is an alternative. It's pretty good with the champagne.

We're kind of off the rails on this thread now, but Guinness and V8 is a strangely tasty drink. And try pouring some Guinness over good vanilla ice cream in a blender for a Guinness milkshake sometime. It's really good.

In the end, the black stuff is best left all by itself.

There is also the "Blackbeard" when you take a shot of captain morgans rum and pour a shot of guiness over it to make a tiny head on it.

A "Boilermaker" in Scotland is generally served as a shot of whiskey and a half pint of beer/lager and is known as a "half and half".

A shot of Wheat Grass Juice and a shot of Vodka is a "Lawnmower."

Shot of green Nyquil and a shot of Absinthe is a "Lucid Dream".

Oops, beer ones....

A 20mg Lasix in a beer is called a "Racehorse."

A carburetor and a bowl in a can of beer is called a bong.

Apologies....

K
Kono posted on Wed, Apr 14, 2004 6:06 PM

On 2004-04-14 11:22, Doctor Z wrote:
A shot of amaretto in a beer is a "Dr. Pepper" ('cause it tastes like one!)

It does taste like Dr Pepper. The way I was taught to make it:
Fill a mason jar about 3/4 full of beer of choice (American standard I suppose)
Shot glass nearly full of amaretto with a little bit of 151 rum floating on top.
Light the 151 and drop it in the jar then slam it down as fast as you can.
Repeat 3-4 times. After number three your eyes will be pointed in different directions and you'll be talking out one side of your mouth and drooling out the other (probably talking out of yer ass as well). After four someone will have to peel you off of the linoleum. Not for amateurs.

A pint of Guinness with a shot glass full of Tia Maria slowly dropped to the bottom is a 'Depth Charge'.

Trader Woody

T

We used to call just a shot of whiskey (glass and all, to be specific for those who have never seen it done) dropped into a beer either a depth charge or a boilermaker.

It all seems a bit silly, really.

P

tikifish, I wasn't thinking clearly when I phrased the question. Unga Bunga correctly points out that a true boilermaker is a shot of whiskey (not just any spirits) and a beer.

Uncle Cecil gives a good clarification on the boilermaker vs depth charge debate.

Basically, the difference is whether you drop the shot into the beer or alternately drink from the shotglass / beer mug.

I just had this vision of people sitting at the bar and arduously working their way through all the spirits on the shelf, making up names for each combination they came to.

Pages: 1 11 replies