Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

VIRUS ALERT!

Pages: 1 29 replies

TK

I go an email "from" [email protected], (it was not really from him, I am sure it was spoofed) that contained a virus. it was cleaned and deleted on the server, never actually made it to me, but beware, even trusted, familer names can be spoofed!

It is getting crazy. I even get virus email "from" [email protected], and I know I didn't send it! Or any of the junk that I am sure many of you get "from" tikiking.com
I even get emails from and to adresses in the tikiking.com domain that don't, and have never, existed! literaly hundreds of variations, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc, etc. It is nutz!

On a side note, today broke the spam recored. I recived over 2000 junk emails today!

I also received an email from Baby Doe a couple of weeks ago with a virus. I let her know that her email attachment looked suspicious and that she might want to run some anti-virus software. Maybe it has now migrated to Otto's computer.

I'm thinking that it's a virus originating on the server of your domain host. I get tons of these too, and it has nothing to do with my computer. No viruses here.

Talk to your host if you can, I know I get a brick wall when attempting to get help.
Good luck, setting up filters and rules seems to help me quite a bit!

S

You can move your site over to my host. He is very diligent about spam and I get maybe 1 or 2 a day that his filter does not catch. Or even move to a SwankPad.org email. If you want one, I'll set you up with an account.

Spam is awful. I am lucky my host owns his stuff and is very smart and works very hard to stop all spam.

I got several from Sven (Big Bro) tonight. Unless he has a new biz. of selling "Adult Stuff", I just delete. Same with any other e-mail that "doesn't get to the point in the subject", delete! " I want a tiki barPenis Pills" just does not fly here!

[i]On 2004-04-14 23:22, RevBambooBen wrote" I want a tiki barPenis Pills" just does not fly here!

Hey do they really work? The ones I bought just made the dog sick.

Something new and similarly horrible are 'dialler' programs that you can download by accident, just by clicking on a pop-up message to get rid of it. What happens is this program automatically re-dials a new connection to the internet via a premium phone line. This is charged at something like $2.50 a minute and you have no idea until the phone bill comes along. As you have supposedly 'agreed' to it being installed (when you clicked on the pop-up), you are legally obliged to pay.

My wife downloaded one just a couple of days ago on a seemingly innocuous 'Lord of the Rings' related site, and had no idea it had happened. I only noticed it because the modem suddenly started re-dialling while I was online, and it took over an hour to disinfect the PC. As it's not really a virus, it doesn't get picked up by the usual programs.

Perhaps someone more tech-savvy could give advice on how to avoid these things.

Trader Woody

I'm not doing too well with Spam and viruses either, but I finally got rid of the pop-ups when I downloaded the google toolbar. Alexa also makes a good one. Just do a yahoo search for google toolbar and install it. It kills every pop-up.

The only problem comes when you need actually need a pop-up. Then you have to enable it on just that page.

-g-

TK

"I'm thinking that it's a virus originating on the server of your domain host. "

I did check with my provider, (they are a small local company) and there is nothing on the server. I do have a spam filter, the 2000 emails yesterday were in the filter. (they send me a list of spam that gets caught in the filter, in case there is something I actually want) I only get a couple that actually make it to my inbox, and those get scrubbed by my antivirus software. Also my server scans attachments for known viruses, and I scan and delete pretty much any attachments that make it through regardless of who they are from. Plus I am on a Mac, so most viruses do not apply. Also, I get lots of "returned mail" that I know I did not send, as my mail server has no adress book. (well, it has one, but is intentionally blank) I also know that my machine is not sending them because most of the "returned" mail is to addresses I do not have on my machine. However, MY address and domain name are in A LOT of other peoples address books, and in hundreds of places on the web, so it is pretty easy for 'bots to find. One thing, not long ago, as an experiment I opened a yahoo account, with a giberish name. I did not use it anywhere, but within two weeks it was getting spam.

On 2004-04-15 09:33, liabungalo wrote:
I'm not doing too well with Spam and viruses either, but I finally got rid of the pop-ups when I downloaded the google toolbar. Alexa also makes a good one. Just do a yahoo search for google toolbar and install it. It kills every pop-up.

I should have mentioned that I do have the Google bar installed, and it does a fine job with pop-ups. I think this must have been more like one of those 'warning' pop-ups you get when you are about to download a program. As I didn't see it myself, I can't give a decent description.

But yes, installing the Google tool bar is excellent advice to anyone who uses the internet frequently.

Trader Woody

M

Holding down the control key allows pop ups to come through when using the Google tool bar.

Also download a copy of Ad-Aware (download.com) to get rid of pesky spyware.

I get tons of spam because I've been with the same ISP for about ten years and my e-mail address is everywhere.

About a month ago I signed up with knowspam.net. It costs $19.95 a year (with a free two-week trial), has many configuration options, and it works much better than the filters I had set up in Eudora.

S

I use Panicware pop-up stopper set to high. It is free and works well.

I recommend http://www.spybot.de to clean your computer. If you ever installed Kazaa, you need it! That adware and spyware will cripple a good computer.

If you have a Mac, the Safari browser for OS 10 has a very effective pop up blocker.

My problems are here at work on the PC(outlook express), since I only use Hotmail for my personal messages at home.

I don't know how to stop the e-mail entourage, other than keeping on top of all the crap that comes in, and hoping that it will eventually die down.

I'm too darn patient and optimistic.

Just deleted a whole ton of useful AND informative messages on my aol account-everything from "Real Married Cheating Sluts"-a fine sounding website and "Too Many Cooks Sopil The Broth".The soft underbelly of society is a delight to behold.

S

If you want to do something to try to stop it, when you get a spam, forward it as an attachment to abuse@thedomainitcamefrom. So if you get spam from [email protected] send it as an attachemnt to [email protected] That should get it to the attention of the admin who should shut them down. SHOULD!

H

On 2004-04-15 12:47, Swanky wrote:
If you want to do something to try to stop it, when you get a spam, forward it as an attachment to abuse@thedomainitcamefrom. So if you get spam from [email protected] send it as an attachemnt to [email protected] That should get it to the attention of the admin who should shut them down. SHOULD!

Sadly, this may not be the thing to do anymore. Spammers use spoofed email accounts these days, so the owners of those email accounts are totally innocent. I've received spam that came from the flipnik.com domain that I own. Spoofing an email address is trivial.

On 2004-04-15 13:00, Humuhumu wrote:

On 2004-04-15 12:47, Swanky wrote:

Sadly, this may not be the thing to do anymore. Spammers use spoofed email accounts these days, so the owners of those email accounts are totally innocent. I've received spam that came from the flipnik.com domain that I own. Spoofing an email address is trivial.

I just received 1 on my Yahoo spam magnet account that was spoofed as [email protected] saying Virii were being emailed from my account & to open the attached zip file with the included password. Needless to say I didn't & [email protected] sent me an email telling me that those emails were the Bagel virus spreading itself.

Here's how I get rid of spam:
besides downloading ad-ware, spay sweeper and such, I also use this practice: hot mail.
If you are not on my buddy list, I don't read your mail. I never open any attachments and I never forward forwarded forwards (you know that crap.. "send this to 100000 people to get a coupon" crap). I never use my personal email address for signing up for newsletters/groups, downloads, or even job resumes. I only give that email to friends and family (and they have been warned about forwarding me stuff). I have even gone a step further to protect my accounts, untill web spiders evolve, I put in my email address that's posted on my webpages> I then instruct people to remove it from the email.
If everyone would adopt a form of prevention like I have, it would signifigantly reduce the volume of junk mail and virus infection.

S

Humu, you are right. What I should have said is, check the headers (right click-> properties) and see what host the email actually came from, not the one in the from: on the email, and send the email as an attachment to that host. Or send it all as is to your own host.

I always forward all spam, with headers, to [email protected] , the Federal Trade Commision's Unsolicited Commercial email address. They get 10,000 spam messages forwarded every day, 7 days a week. I usually send about a dozen a day from each email address I use.

here's a new article about spy-wear:
http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/ptech/33188.html

Some great tips there. After my old [email protected] became unusable due to reams of spam, I got a different address and take steps similar to Uncle John's (though I do read credible-looking e-mails from people not on my buddy list)and get perhaps one spam message every couple of weeks.

While I type this, Ad-aware is being downloaded. Over 35 million people have done the same, so it must be pretty good. Thanks Martiki for that tip.

Trader Woody

Woody, I run both Ad-Aware & SpyBot Search & Distroy since 1 may catch what the other misses, I run Zone Alarm for a firewall, AVG from Grisoft for anti virus, plus if I receive a suspisious email attachment I move it to my primary computer's Linux partition before opening it, I use Mozilla for pop-up blocking, Google tool bar when I use IE, I have 3 spam bait throw away email addresses (& I've thrown away about 1/2 a dozen before) & I forward all all spam to the American Federal Trade Commission. Grand total spent on this security: $0! You can check http://www.tucows.com for all these programs, they're all freeware & easy to use.

Am I paranoid? No, they are really out to get me. Am I cheap? Yes, but I have better things to spend my money on.

I'm planning on running a Linux proxy server with a honey pot if things get any worse with the script kidz & virii probing my home network.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-04-17 11:34 ]

S

Pea thinks you got yerself a lil
virus cough cough that is sending a zipfile from your email.
My yahoo said so.
Hope no one else catches it.
PEa

H

Nope, not me! I run Linux, use web-based email and don't use MS Outlook. No viruses from me! That's someone sending from an email address disguised to look like it's mine, a common practice -- people spreading viruses probably pretend to be you, sometimes, too! For more info, check here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8577&forum=6&start=15

Yep, that's what happens. I even got an (attempted) viral attachment from MYSELF!

TK

There is an infected email going around that is pretending to be from tikiking.com. If you get any email from anything @tikiking.com do not open the attachment. It is not from me. It is a spoofing email, my computer is not infected.

topics merged.

On 2005-11-02 08:13, Tiki King wrote:
There is an infected email going around that is pretending to be from tikiking.com. If you get any email from anything @tikiking.com do not open the attachment. It is not from me. It is a spoofing email, my computer is not infected.

I'm having the same problem with my url. Someone fished my url and added bogus e-mails to it. I've been getting notices from my server, they are calling it the "W32.Mytob.ED@mm" virus. It has an attached .zip file that contains the virus. Scary stuff.

Here's what the e-mail reads:

Dear Stuff-o-rama Member,

We have temporarily suspended your email account [email protected].

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
  2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
  3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of subscription due to an internal error within our processors.
    See the details to reactivate your Stuff-o-rama account.

Sincerely,The Stuff-o-rama Support Team

+++ Attachment: No Virus (Clean)
+++ Stuff-o-rama Antivirus - http://www.stuff-o-rama.com

I'm getting about 20+ of these a day. i don't think they are going out to other people, I think they are just sending them to me. If anyone receives an e-mail from anybody at stuff-o-rama.com, just delete it. My e-mail address doesn't have the dashes in it anyway... (stufforama.com)

Pages: 1 29 replies