Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki at PIXAR

Pages: 1 6 replies

P

Got a private tour of Pixar yesterday and as I was perusing the upper floor of that astonishing center or creativity - I saw - under glass - 3 Tiki machettes (grey clay sculptures). Also, 3 Tiki characters sketched out and developed as sort-of portraits of some Tiki-lovers that work there. One of them (the characters) was a self-portrait (I believe I overheard that).

Anyway - our buddy the producer - said that these folks were headed to Caliente Tropics for the Oasis.

I won't mention the names I wrote down here for privacy's sake, but come on you artistes, let us know you by your screen names, at least.

And those characters are truly genius.

Further on, in the animators' sector... the huge open space had been filled with Home Depot tool sheds functioning as individual offices. Several of those were housing Tikis. And several other Tikis greeted us at the entrances of a few other areas.

It was a terrific experience and I was much more comfortable there with a few Tikis present.

I didn't get a Mai-Tai though and that sort of hurt me. So I drove over to Trader Vics for lunch and had Navy Grogs to ease the pain.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2004-04-14 18:35 ]

H

Cool! Glad to hear there's plenty of tiki to be found there -- I bought a tour of Pixar at the Pineapples' AIDS auction, and I'm very excited to see the inner workings! Pablus, tell your Pixar buddies to track me down at Oasis & say hi.

I got contacted by one of them (I respect privacy) just before Nemo came out, to go up and do a "Tiki Room" in one of their homes. Then a few months later, after Nemo, got contacted again saying the project was on hold and they were moving. No worries. Just enjoyed the fact that they contacted me and knew about my work.

Two years ago at Oasis we had the Head Honcho from MOCA cruz through and snag some stuff. It was cool cause after the transaction, he gave Mrs. Boo a biz card. They talked for like 20 minutes and then had a chuckle together over who he was. (if they only knew that I was the one who did the "shopping cart art" in front of MOCA back when the John Cage show was on.The one that he died just before.) Another story for another day.

T

On 2004-04-14 22:15, RevBambooBen wrote:(if they only knew that I was the one who did the "shopping cart art" in front of MOCA back when the John Cage show was on.The one that he died just before.) Another story for another day.

Who Died?

On 2004-04-15 11:39, thejab wrote:

On 2004-04-14 22:15, RevBambooBen wrote:(if they only knew that I was the one who did the "shopping cart art" in front of MOCA back when the John Cage show was on.The one that he died just before.) Another story for another day.

Who Died?

John Cage?

(I can play that 4'33" piece of his really well. :D)

I know of a few tiki aficionados at Pixar. One of them is giving humuhumu a tour, as she mentioned. He had a full blown tiki hut as his "cube" until they reorganized. He's an animator, and not on this board. We met him at Vander von Stroheim's birthday party a few months back. He's swell, he was the 'star' of the Making of Finding Nemo. I'm pretty sure he's responsible for the tiki's in the fish tank, but they're pretty collaborative there, so everything goes through the mill.

P

Right.

I found out just this morning that those Tiki Machettes are the ones used to model the animation for the "Finding Nemo" Tiki scenes...which I haven't seen.

I'm sure Humuhumu will throroughly enjoy the tour and discover even more Tikis and related islandry.

I knew someone here would know about it though. After all - this IS Tiki Central.

Pages: 1 6 replies