Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Newly discovered old rock: Randy California

Pages: 1 5 replies

Just when things seem to get a little boring something comes down the pike that gets the old blood flowing again. After reading a very interesting article on Randy California and his band Spirit in the 'Acid!' edition of the very fine rock magazine MOJO, I was once again introduced to something very interesting that, unbeknownst to me, has been floating around in the universe for the last 30 years or so.

I never knew much about Spirit but was always curious. The fact that they had a bald guy in the band during the height of the long hair revolution was always strange and intriguing to me, but I mostly just dismissed these guys as another lame hippie band similar to say The Youngbloods. I love music from the 60s, but I try to steer clear of the stuff that makes everybody look at the hippie movement as some kind of nostalgic joke. If you have gotten this far reading this, all I can tell you is if you don't know about Spirit, you may want to check them out.

Something of even greater interest, and the point I'm really trying to make here is about Randy California's first solo album from 1972 called 'Kaptain Kopter and his (Fabulous) Twirly Birds'. As MOJO stated in their reccomendation of this album 'Stoner Rock fans start here'. As destiny would have it I was able to find a near mint LP copy of this amazing piece of music yesterday. All I can tell you is that this album, recorded in 1972, is light years ahead of it's time. This is what every neo-rock band of today wants to sound like. Jet comes to mind as the main offender of trying to capture this same kinda flame, but can't. I also would point the finger at The Datsuns, but I actually like those guys. This post is already too long and getting longer. If you are a serious rock fan, and feel a strong allegiance to the original originals. I strongly suggest you find a copy of this LP somewhere and play it ...LOUD.

Here's a link to the LP artwork:
http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/C/california.html

They just don't make 'em like this anymore. They can try, and they do, but it's all just recycled re-hash. This is the real deal. Rock on brothers and sisters!!!

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-04-14 22:43 ]

P

It's nature's way of telling us...

...the mainstream music industry blows.

I was at Ed Cassidy's (65th-70th?) birthday party just before Randy passed away. He beat the heck out of those drums with a grimace on his face that looked like a Ku Tiki.

Great band - and truly original.
Thanks for the tip to the original R. California work - never heard of it until today.

Off to Trader Vics to spar with The Jab.

BTW - Thanks, Jab, Otto, MrSmiley, et al for cleaning out all of the Alameda Antique shops of all their tiki stuff.

I mean - nuttin' is left.
mumblemumble scavengers grumblegrumble

Whaddaya know. Ed Cassidy still bangin the skins. At this point he has to be a few years over 70, if he is still around, god- bless-em. He plays a little on the 'Kapt. Kopter' LP under his real name. Also credited on the album is drums by 'Mr. Clean' which I'm guessing is also him.

I remember hearing the Kapt. Kopter LP at a freinds house in '72. Great record. I first saw Spirit in their prime when they opened for Cream in '69. I was totally blown away. Favorite song - Mechanical World. Favorite LP - The Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus.

Spirit had a few minor hits in the late 60s, early 70s , Fresh Garbage (recently sampled), I Got A Line On You, and Nature's Way. Their first album had my favorite, "Mechanical World" that still sounds unlike anything from the 60s. Ed used to live here in Ventura County (Ojai). Spirit also had Mark Andes who went on to Jo Jo Gunne and Heart. Jay Ferguson I think was also in JJG and put out a few solo albums (the much disliked Thunder Island, though I kinda liked the song, Cozumel ). Randy was a good guitar player that I got the feeling was annoyed he was overlooked and compared himself to Hendrix (who he claims to have jammed with several times). Hey what about Randy Hansen, Frank Marino, Ernie Isley, and Uli Jon Roth? Sotra like how Harvey Mandel complained about inventing 2 handed tapping before Van Halen. I have an album he did as Spirit-Future Games (A Magical Kahauna Dream) , with just Randy and his Les Paul guitar on the cover and no info as to who else played on it. I will need to listen as I do not remember what it sounds like. Check out these song titles.....Star Trek Dreaming......Freakout Frog.....The Romulan Experience.....(A Trekkie?)......Hawaiian Times.......Kahuana Dream......All Along The Watchtower. Hmmmm. I think he drowned off Molokai trying to save his son from a rip currant. Very sad.

D

Bongofury-

The Randy California/Hendrix connection is a well documented fact. California played with Hendrix in his pre-Experience band Jimi James and the Blues Flames. California almost became a member of the Experience when Jimi went to England to start the band, but Randy's overbearing mom would not let him go since he was still a minor at the time.

Hendrix is actually the one responsible for giving Randy California his name. California, whose real last name was Wolfe, was one of two Randys in Hendrix's band. One of the Randys was from Texas, and one (Wolfe) was from California, so Hendrix refered to them as 'Randy Texas', and 'Randy California' hence the name.

Never made the vague Tiki connection here, but yeah Randy did drown of the coast of one of the islands when he went to go rescue his son from drowning. The son lived, but Randy went on to the Spirit in the sky.

Pages: 1 5 replies