Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Hold on to those mugs!

Pages: 1 6 replies

So Cal'ers be warned --

Expert warns California to brace for big quake by September

Better get that putty out!

TB

Thanks PolynesianPop, will tell the wife that i cant put up the mug shelves till after Sept.

Aaah...I fondly remember the Northridge rumble. I like earthquakes, what a kick.

Bad for Tiki though: I lost just a couple of mugs, (one has never been replaced, a weird pineapple like Moai)... but my friend Dug Miller had just come across a whole shelf of Stephen Crane's Luau glassware in all sizes, and lost most...the Kona Pali apartments got damaged...the Tahitian Village Apts. lost their Gauguin entrance statues...oh well...
..let's all play "Volcanic Eruption"!

I'm way ahead of ya Pop. I heard this story a week ago and the mugs were my first thought. I'm seriously thinking about taking some pre-emtive strike measures. If this quake hits while I'm at Tiki Oasis IV...I'm gonna be pissed!

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2004-04-15 19:00 ]

My Mom heard about this and called me in a panic! I told here not to worry as I keep my mugs stored (with padding) in a wooden crate.

It is kind of frightening 'cause the scientist is russian-born, and you know their track record on predictions...

On 2004-04-15 15:40, bigbrotiki wrote:
Aaah...I fondly remember the Northridge rumble. I like earthquakes, what a kick.

Sven, where do you live that Northridge was only a "rumble?" I lived on the east side of Hollywood on the 3rd floor of the Karnak Apartments & all of my dishes broke, my 50 piece International beer bottle collection was broken & spread across my entire kitchen (my 3rd & last California-based beer bottle collection), everything in my medicine cabinet broke, & my new Ikea desk exploded(!).

My wife no longer felt safe in Hollywood & we ended up moving to Sherman Oaks, to the last building standing on it's block (I guess she felt that if it didn't fall down in the main quake it wouldn't in any of the aftershocks?), & soon afterwards to San Diego.

I've lived in Southern California since '84, & I've lived through several good sized quakes, but Northridge was probably caused the worst damage to the neighborhood I was living in in that time.

I don't expect an earthquake in So Cal on the timetable they're quoting (NO earthquake has ever matched a scientist's p0redictions), but we are over due for something big soon...

Tiki Central News Flash!
This is an actual recording taken at Polynesian Pop's house during the 2004 earthquake.
WARNING!!!!
LISTENER BEWARE:
THIS AUDIO IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

http://www.audioautographs.com/tiki/pop_crash.mp3

Pages: 1 6 replies