Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Any other tiki events to coincide with Da Show in Redondo Beach?

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hi,
We are planning to fly down for Aloha Cruz's Da Show in Redondo Beach, CA . We have not been before and I haven't seen it mentioned in the forums. Just wondered what other's take was on the show and if they had any tips.

Also, are there going to be any other tiki events happening that weekend (June 17-19)? We are planning to go to the Oceanic Arts store and to Tiki Ti. Any suggestions for other tiki or mid-century amusements?

Thank You!
Gem

Sparklegem, not to burst your bubble but I wasn't very impressed with Da Show last year. It seemed like it was much smaller than previous years and it almost looked like the same vendors were bringing out the same stuff for sale yet again. If I were to fly out for this event, I would be sorely disappointed.

Of course, this is only my opinion.

On 2004-04-15 15:24, sparklegem wrote:
Hi,
We are planning to fly down for Aloha Cruz's Da Show in Redondo Beach, CA . We have not been before and I haven't seen it mentioned in the forums.

Here are some past threads regarding Da Show:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=126&forum=4

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=3205&forum=4

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=4178&forum=4

Wow,
I am so sad to hear that. We have already paid for our tickets and room, and of course they are non- refundable. Do you have any suggestions for other places to go to while we are in town?

Well, there's lots to see in So Cal that's tiki related:

Tiki-Ti - Hollywood
Trader Vics - Beverly Hills
Bahooka - Rosemead
Sam's Seafood - Sunset Beach
Royal Hawaiian - Laguna Beach
Purple Orchid - El Segundo
Damon's - Glendale
Tonga Hut - Los Angeles
Lava Lounge - Los Angeles
and of course.... Oceanic Arts - Whittier

I'm sure other So Cal TC'ers will chime in with spots I missed.

Bamboo Ben- Huntington Beach- Sat. and Sunday. In between Sam's and the Royal Hawaiian.

What PolyPop said. Don't expect a big ol' show that takes 3 hours to comb through. It is a small show that could be held in the local gymnasium, but there they are, all gathered together in one place! On the upside, it is a fine thing to attend a show that features pure Tikiana and Hawaiiana at every booth and the fellowship is fine. On the downside, you may have to put up with the Hoiti Toitis for the rest of the weekend :P

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-04-16 00:34 ]

Yeah, its great seeing so many common vendors in one place, but bring loads of cash, as the dealers in general are on the high priced side. Though it is not a huge show, I still enjoy going.

The Spectacular East Indies Room always welcomes out of town visitors, I could set up a Hoiti Toiti gathering one night if you're up for it......

S

I would have to agree with the above, small show and high priced.
But there is plenty of great places to hit in So Cal.

o.k., I feel better now. Thank you, all, for your replies. I think that I am most excited about visiting Oceanic Arts and it will be fun to see what we find at the show.
Thanks Again,
Gem

Pages: 1 9 replies